[PC/XB1/PS4] Star Wars Battlefront

Chat about games you play when you're NOT playing on UKCS

[PC/XB1/PS4] Star Wars Battlefront

Postby Salva on Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:42 am

http://starwars.ea.com/starwars/battlefront

The stress test for this starts tomorrow and runs through to the 12th., Pre loading is currently available on Origin for everyone with access opening up tomorrow.
Plenty of stream currently on Twitch, as Some keys were given out on the 6th for early access to streamers and competition winners.

3 Game modes in the stress test

Walker Assault on Hoth: Fight in epic 40-player battles as a Rebel to destroy the Empire’s onslaught of AT-AT’s by calling in Y-wing bombers. Or, side with the Empire and protect your walkers while utilizing their mighty weaponry to crush the Rebel objective.

Drop Zone on Sullust: Escape pods are crashing down and you and your team must fight to control them. With its frantic 8v8 matches, Drop Zone is sure to put your combat and strategy skills to the test.

Survival Mission on Tatooine: Play alone or with a friend via co-op or split-screen as you battle to hold off waves of Imperial forces including AT-ST’s, TIE fighters, elite storm troopers and more.

Some great aspects brought in from DICE like the squad and partner system similar to what you will find in Battlefield games, So you can spawn on your squad or partner and you also can share unlocks with your partner, so if your level 20 and your partners level 1 they will gain access to your unlocks whilst you play with them.

For anyone whos going to try it get me added on origin - ID: DSalva

And a free pro tip!
Rebels - Shoot the AT-AT's in the belly for higher damage and use your ion grenades for extra damage.
Imps - The AT-At's are only vulnerable whilst the rebels have Y-Wings in the sky, so take the Y-Wings out to keep your AT-AT's up
Salva
Always remember kids it's Unspecified's Salva's fault!
Salva
UKCS Life Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee
UKCS Rentboy

Player: Salva
STEAM_0:1:492410

Re: [PC/XB1/PS4] Star Wars Battlefront

Postby Salva on Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:32 am

Alot of people worrying about the spec required for this game, PC gamer posted this earlier today which might stop people worrying

http://www.pcgamer.com/dont-be-too-inti ... aign=pcgfb

Low vs ultra comparison
http://imgur.com/a/7oaBf
Salva
Salva
UKCS Life Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee
UKCS Rentboy

Postby Dauntless on Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:39 am

Origin ID - DauntlessUKCS

I'm going to give the beta a try just to see if it melts my laptop or not. This is one of the first games in a while that is making me consider buying a desktop and building an extension to my house to put it in, just so I can play this at max.

Either that or i'll finally payout for a PS4........
Dauntless
Senior Admin

Player: Dauntless
STEAM_0:1:19137211

Postby EWJ on Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:55 pm

looks pretty.. hopefully my i54690,8gb and gtx 660 will run it high-ultra.
God is a defect of the human genome.
Earthwormjim hes such a groovy guy,
Earthwormjim he rockets thru the sky,
EWJ
Old Timer
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Mr EWJ ®
STEAM_0:1:3498984

Postby Salva on Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:59 pm

Game is hard!

But no it actually is pretty hard, looks simple but theirs so much going on and death awaits you from everywhere, takes a good few matches to get your head around managing not to insta die when you spawn!

Managed to get to level 5 which is the beta cap, tried all the vehicles and played as both Luke and Vader, all good fun and well balanced.

A few focused guys can take out a AT-ST quite quickly but also an AT-St can take about 10 un focused guys easily, the same can be said for the hero characters.

It's very much an objective based game that I think a good squad will run rampant in.

My PC is 5 years old now, and the only place I struggle is on map load and map end, my CPU hits 100% and it freezes the game for 10/15 seconds whilst it processes everything.
Salva
Salva
UKCS Life Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee
UKCS Rentboy

Postby Salva on Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:01 pm

im addicted.... and had a pretty good round! 2 deaths were insta kills on spawn :(
Salva
Salva
UKCS Life Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee
UKCS Rentboy

Postby Dauntless on Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:25 pm

OK so I can play anything bar 40 man servers on medium settings. When I play the 40 man I have to have the settings on minimum.

Running game on this crap;

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M
6gb RAM
i7 3630QM cpu 2.4ghz (standard although can go higher on ghz).
Win 7
1600 x 900 resolution
Dauntless
Senior Admin

Postby Flare on Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:40 pm

I seem to be called ASnogarD (Origin nick) , and sans mic if you see me tonight (8th Oct) I will sort out mumble and whatever laters :P
Sometimes keeping an eye on your stats is not a good thing :P

Some things are painfully obvious, others must be made obvious... painfully
Flare
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: Flare
STEAM_0:0:690038

Postby Flare on Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:03 pm

Well here is my INITIAL impression...

Unbalanced piece of shit.
The beta map has the imps at a HUGE advantage, hell not only are the AT AT invulnerable most of time they have AT ST support, the rebels have... X wing , A Wing or Speeder support...all air, all clumsy as hell.
Weapons are odd, basically pistol and sniper....then you get a smg as a upgrade.
In game the weapons are hard to judge as the map is chaotic, open to spawn camping and has no real 'frontline'. You will die, over and over with no cause or reason unless you are imperial, then you win with nary a shot... its really unbalanced, like the movie but I WANT TO BE THE STAR!

Performance and looks, well despite the scary specs, my PC held up fine and there was no real perf issues... that was all good, just the gameplay was so lopsided, I tried the drop pod mode, but it was so COD like... it was scary, and boring.
The Large player mode was the best but not balanced, rebels were at the wall and the imps really had to suck to lose.

Game was fun, but only for imps...rarely did the rebels put up enough of a fight to let you enjoy the combat, unless you enjoy getting spawn raped... I dont.

Flare
UKCS Life Sponsor

Postby Cap'n Neuro on Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:30 am

Of course the game is unbalanced. That's what large-scale betas such as this are for.

Also, the game isn't quite as imbalanced compared to many other games as you're conditioned to think, either. Taking the Hoth map especially into account, the Imperials, contrary to how the game first seems, are the defenders and not the attackers. All games have a defender advantage, and quite rightly so. It's just slightly odd compared to most other games in that it's the defense that's moving and not the offense.

As for a 'lack of a frontline' and 'spawn camping', these are complete non-issues. The spawns for either side are relatively limited in number. While this is, in a sense, open to camping, it also means there are reliable and simple areas that need some small token defense to entirely shut down any camping attempt. Problem solved. And the frontlines are dynamic and constantly moving. This is a good thing, not a bad thing.

Yes, things need small tweaks, but that's all that's needed, and that's what large-scale betas exist to find. Much of what seem like 'problems' now will dissipate rapidly when people get to grips with the mechanics of the game and become more familiar with the maps. By and large, though? It's not the game that's got many of the mechanical issues so much as a general lack of familiarity with the game.
"The best laid plans of mice and men often break down to inherent cross-species communication barriers"
Cap'n Neuro
UKCS Life Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Neuro the Legit Samurai
STEAM_0:0:3125332

Postby Slavechild on Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:16 am

It looks amazing, even running on my 680 GTX, the only thing I don't like is a lack of a staging area where you get into the vehicles :( personally hating the whole powerup idea as well.
Magical Facebook Fairy wrote:Image
Slavechild
Home Member

Player: Slavechild
STEAM_0:1:26412177

Postby Salva on Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:58 am

Neuro nailed it on the head, Imperials are the defenders! I just wish people in game would realize this and actually attack the points as rebels, and you have to take note the rebels did get pummeled at Hoth in the movie, so i think it's meant to be a bit one sided.

The one lopsidedness will also change upon release as more weapons and star card will be available, including rockets and grenade launchers which will do alot more damage to AT-AT's

But saying that have won about a third of my games as rebels, which I would say isn't bad since rarely people works as a team and push the points as Rebels.
The AT-AT's can be taken down fast if you take note of the Y Wing timings and are ready for the Vulnerability stages. Myself, EWJ, Mr Q and Sh00rs1gn managed to kill 1 AT-At and get another to 65% in one vulnerability stage last night as we had 2 guys on the ground shooting and 2 A-Wings in the air shooting.

Spawn camping can easily be achieved by both sides due to all the side routes and jetpacks, I've happily sat up on the big hill as a rebel once the points have moved forward and shot Imps in the back.
I wouldn't class it as to big an issue, a handful of guys are easy to kill and the spawn times and points move so fast it becomes irrelevant quickly.

I for one prefer the power up system compared to staging areas in the likes of battlefield games, It stops people waiting at spawn for 3 minutes for a vehicle and gives everyone a chance in them.
Salva
Salva
UKCS Life Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee
UKCS Rentboy

Postby Slavechild on Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:05 pm

I know but it felt nice and organic getting in things and loading up transports with your troops, powerups with a cool down feel naff.
Magical Facebook Fairy wrote:Image
Slavechild
Home Member

Player: Slavechild
STEAM_0:1:26412177

Postby Flare on Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:11 pm

As I said INITIAL impression... still giving it a fair go, its free to try at the moment and runs like a dream on max settings on my rig, no real reason not to give it a fair try.

I do like the overall feeling of the game, the battles are pretty intense yet the lack of dedicated roles makes it hard to analyse and decide what you want to do, the lack of vehicles that are on the field and the ability to repair any vehicle takes away the natural co op of repair players with the vehicles, the lack of medics means no one to heal and the lack of ammunitions removes the guy who supplies the ammo... those all make for natural and intuitive co operation systems, even in random pub matches.
The only synergy remaining is air taking out air and providing cover, and that is a bit clumsy.
Hell you dont even have spotting in the game.

I had a rather annoying time as Imp as the Rebels had a large number of decent skilled pilots in the air, and they were proving to be hard to bring down...AT ST , Smart Rockets, Cycler Rifle... didnt seem too effective to me, but I am still learning and lack skill so that may be me but none of my team seemed interested in the fliers.
Hit reg seems a little odd, especially with the Cycler rifle... headshots just didnt seem to register and taking time to aim doesnt seem to be more effective than simply firing like mad... still I need time to be sure.

Game seems to feel a little simple, especially the power up system... its way too 'gamey' to simply collect a token then hold a key and be magically in a vehicle that spawned in that area, same with deployables... those seem to be dropped more at random to allow the player to pick up a different token.
Would it really been that much harder to have added vehicle spawns and temp bases for them ?

... but I am still playing it, see if it grows on me or if I can understand what the devs were thinking when they made the systems.

Flare
UKCS Life Sponsor

Postby Shuriken on Sat Oct 10, 2015 2:40 am

My initial thoughts: Dear god it's horrible, it's like an arcade game.

My thoughts after a play session: Jesus it really is just an arcade game.

Is this what people enjoy now? It's bloody awful. Takes zero skill to win as imperial, didn't enjoy it at all. Playing as rebel is more of a challenge, except that it's completely artificial difficulty. I'll give it a few more goes but this went from a must buy to not really sure if I want to even play the beta. For a game that is out in just over a month this isn't anywhere near where it should be. Even planetside was more polished at this stage, and that took months to fix after launch.

UI is lovely though, wish the rest of the game was like that.

Side note: How stupid are people who walk near things that people are actively trying to explode? Squashing them with the remnants of walkers is great fun but my god how dull do you have to be to even be there in the first place?
This is my sandvich. There are many others like it, but this one is mine. My sandvich is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me, my sandvich is useless. Without my sandvich, I am useless. I must eat my sandvich true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy, who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I will. Before lunch I swear this creed: my sandvich and myself are defenders of my country, we are the masters of our enemy, we are the saviors of my life. So be it, until there is no enemy, but sandvich. Om nom.

Shuriken
Old Timer

Player: `_´ HaemoGobliN `_´
STEAM_0:1:5456922

Postby Dauntless on Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:08 am

House brick? :p

I've played a few hours of it but lost interest pretty quick. That being said, it is a beta and should have more to it on release.
Dauntless
Senior Admin

Postby Shuriken on Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:38 am

I tried a few more sessions, can honestly say the only thing it's got going for it is the franchise.
This is my sandvich. There are many others like it, but this one is mine. My sandvich is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me, my sandvich is useless. Without my sandvich, I am useless. I must eat my sandvich true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy, who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I will. Before lunch I swear this creed: my sandvich and myself are defenders of my country, we are the masters of our enemy, we are the saviors of my life. So be it, until there is no enemy, but sandvich. Om nom.

Shuriken
Old Timer

Postby Flare on Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:43 am

Final opinion ....

Unbalanced piece of shit.

Yeah it runs well, it plays well, but its boring and its prone to just dying because... well because you suck, nah just because.
Its repetitive winning or losing its nearly the same, hey I got more creds and exp... big deal.

Here is my prediction : This game is another Titanfall / Evolve ... initially fun, heavily supported then... dead. It simply does not have enough to keep anyone, casuals especially will get bored and leave fast, hardcore will find the title too shallow.

EA . thanks for the beta nice try but the game is too weak, well optimised but it sucks.

Flare
UKCS Life Sponsor

Postby EvolvedMonkey on Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:55 pm

I actually saw a Rebel victory today. If the team works together to down the AT-ATs when the time arrives, like saving your orbital strikes. It can be done easily, but very rarely on any side anybody works together. The empire doesnt need to work together as much as they are so OP. Most people just play it like another CoD clone, and making it all about the XP and weapon/perk unlocks.

It is unbalanced still though and offers no reward for teamwork. Thats just on one big map though, we havent a clue what the other maps are like. The other mode available is a bit more balanced.

edit. I'll probably not buy it even though I can get it pretty cheap.
But I'm feeling good, And if you don't exist, you're still one illusion that I can't resist
EvolvedMonkey
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: EvolvedMonkey
STEAM_0:0:183417

Postby Shuriken on Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:06 am

CTF, Payload and a copy of Evolve game modes announced. Maybe if they add everything people won't notice it's just another cut and paste job with a new skin.

Shuriken
Old Timer

Next

Return to Gamer's Retreat