[PC -MMO - B2P - Black Desert Online]

Chat about games you play when you're NOT playing on UKCS

[PC -MMO - B2P - Black Desert Online]

Postby Flare on Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:00 pm

Currently in Closed Beta Phase 1, Phase 2 is planned then release sometime 2016...

Title: Black Desert Online

This currently a buy to play game, like Guild Wars 2 and it will have a cash shop but not pay to win (allegedly).
Its a Korean title that has Japanese and Russian servers, and is due to have EU/NA servers soon.

Its a very pretty game, with some dynamic combat systems that use key combos to fire off skills and many skills have chain combo's or alternative effects depending on the skill rotation. It is not a tab target game but does have some pseudo auto aiming for some skills which allow for highly mobile combat tactics while keeping fire on the enemy.

It is surprising however that the PvE that I have experienced early game and a few hours in is lacklustre, most mobs dont aggro and most just die with 1 ability so you dont get to appreciate the flowing combat system much.
It isn't a hardcore PvP game either as PvP is either between guilds in what is called 'node' wars (nodes being areas of the world, from small outposts and resource nodes to large cities) , where the guild that wins controls that node and gains taxes and benefits.
PvP also has arena style and duels, but open world PvP is limited and attacking a none flagged target will be prohibitively expensive (a Karma system where negative karma can have serious effects from loss of expensive slotted crystals to getting attacked by NPC guards).
In short, its not a PvP game until you get into the guild system.

What it does offer is a unusually interactive world, with interesting crafting and gathering mechanics, with emphasis on trading and moving goods between cities whether on foot, horseback or even wagons (and you can be robbed en-route by NPC's), it features mechanics that allow you to train workers to gather and craft stuff so you can even get NPC's to do your menial work to earn silvers or save you the hassle of gathering large amounts of materials.
Cities are not linked to each other so you cant sit in one place and sell to all, except I think auctions. You will need to craft at your selected city and move goods to earn the most profit, in fact the further you move goods the more value it accrues.

The world has a lot of detail and a day night cycle that impacts routines in the day, NPC's will retire for the evening, mobs will get harder at night, some craft processing can only be done on sunny days, etc etc... its quiet a busy world.
It features a rugged housing system where you can not only own residences for yourself but housing for workers, storage buildings and crafting buildings.
There isnt a fast travel system so crafting and moving trade about is a big deal, having a city where you have appropriate buildings allows you to run a thriving business in trading.
You wont be simply gathering items and click to craft either, its pretty convoluted how you go about gathering , processing and crafting items but it makes sense and has rewards...

Black Desert Online is not a Good PvE, or a Good PvP but rather a game that is defined by the sum of its parts rather than specific aspects... invest in the world and it has its charms.
It is definitely one of the better looking titles about and fairly optimised with a good eye for detail.

What is not know by me at the moment is if it will use the Russian MEGASERVER system, which is currently the case in the Closed Beta (no Eng FR DE servers, all one server with channels to divide the players into manageable sizes ).

I would suggest waiting before trying to do what I did, pre-order to get in, as it isn't easy to recommend in its current state while at the same time it is interesting as a MMO.
I will try keep you guys updated and if I can remember ... make a few screenshots before the Close Beta 1 ends on Tues.
Sometimes keeping an eye on your stats is not a good thing :P

Some things are painfully obvious, others must be made obvious... painfully
Flare
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: Flare
STEAM_0:0:690038

Re: [PC -MMO - B2P - Black Desert Online]

Postby Shuriken on Fri Dec 18, 2015 12:17 am

I've been keeping an eye on this, approaching it with the view of economic simulator in a fantasy game setting makes it a whole lot more appealing. Sucks to hear it's not as good as it could be in the action side of things but I didn't play games like Recettear to death for the combat mechanics, so hopefully it can be fleshed out enough to make it more engaging.

Also distinct lack of black deserts.
This is my sandvich. There are many others like it, but this one is mine. My sandvich is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me, my sandvich is useless. Without my sandvich, I am useless. I must eat my sandvich true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy, who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I will. Before lunch I swear this creed: my sandvich and myself are defenders of my country, we are the masters of our enemy, we are the saviors of my life. So be it, until there is no enemy, but sandvich. Om nom.

Shuriken
Old Timer

Player: `_´ HaemoGobliN `_´
STEAM_0:1:5456922

Postby Flare on Sun Dec 20, 2015 5:07 pm

The combat is good, just the PvE is a bit lack lustre.
There isn't dungeons to groups up and run through, only world bosses that are apparently massive zerg fests, if the server doesn't lag out.
PvP is limited to those node wars between guilds and arena style and duels, at level 30 characters can flag themselves for open world PvP but no real reason and if you attack and / or kill a none flagged player the penalty is pretty harsh.

The actual combat is fun in that you use key combos, like S (back) and LeftMouseButton on a Wizard starts casting Fireball , double tap in a direction uses a teleport dodge, tap a direction + LMB = teleport and Fissure spell (knocks enemies down), SHIFT + RMB = chain lightning ... and later you can chain combo's of spells as well, and there is a hot key bar for spells and item use that has not got a key combo or is hard to pull off (SPACE and SHIFT is a Teleport, but can easily have you hopping up and down instead).
The effects look awesome, and make you feel pretty bad ass you hit the big nukes and enemies die all over the place.
The disappointing part is that enemies just don't seem to put up much of a fight to do justice to the great combat system, the only thing that is somewhat a potential challenge is that there isn't big zones marked out for you to dodge out, you need to read the attack from the enemy animation.

The world itself is huge and very well rendered, with dynamic weather (they were testing snow and dark storms (really dark, as in cant see shit), day and night cycles, sea and oceans you can build a boat and sail / row on...and even fish or hunt whales on, towns full of commerce where you see players driving wagons and carts of trade and general loot about the place, or the occasional player hoofing a pack of goods slowly down the road avoiding bandits.

I was messing about with the worker system, you can and its a good idea to gather stuff yourself but you can also have a NPC worker go to specific nodes and gather for you as some items use a LOT of materials to craft, and there is a limit on how much your character can do in a day (got a labour point system), you gather stuff to train up your skills but also have workers gather the bulk.
You can't fast travel anywhere but to make up for that the game features a auto path system to at least allow you to take in the sights as you travel without needing to worry about navigating...
The mount system is quiet fun too, you initially get a donkey ( I named mine Shrek) to trot about the place with and it gets skills and levels, and you learn training skills as you trot around with which you can use to catch and train wild horses which start at low tiers and you can breed horses to gain higher tiers... or use them in races to win higher tier horses... oh and there is mounted combat too, many of the skills and abilities have mounted variants but you need equipment on that mount to use mounter combat.

... in Black Desert Online, nothing is simple.
Sometimes keeping an eye on your stats is not a good thing :P

Some things are painfully obvious, others must be made obvious... painfully
Flare
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: Flare
STEAM_0:0:690038

Postby Synaphix on Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:48 pm

Flare wrote:... in Black Desert Online, nothing is simple.

Yes, I was overwhelmed!

The game looks amazing, the game play is great, suits my style rather than stand still and cast and such. You can pick the game up incredibly quick much like any other game and what overwhelmed me was the housing, workers and such. In what I have played so far (Ranger) it has been quick to level up and if you grind you can hit the max level (prior to the new content they just released) in about 15 hours and get into it.

I read on the forums and apparently they decided to NOT do what Final Fantasy did and throw you with all the content that other countries had before when releasing it to EU/NA and are giving it to you over time. There is dungeons and raids or something planned from what I read too which should make it good.

It is however, one of those sex locked games on all but two (?) classes but that fits with the lore and such so does not bother me. If someone has an issue with playing a different sex to their gender then it may be an issue if you want to play a specific class. Although that being said, from what I have read too, some of the male and female classes are somewhat modeled after each other.

Overall a very fun game, worth the one off price although I have no clue if you have to buy the content releases or not but I am not sure if the latest was a huge patch or an expansion, maybe Flare can answer that.

Edit: I forgot to thank you again for the trial pass, enjoying it a lot so far!
Interested in joining the CSGO Admin Team? Apply here.
Interested in joining the CSGO Map Team? Apply here.
Synaphix
Executive Admin

STEAM_0:0:000000

Postby Blast on Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:34 pm

I can't wait to sink my teeth into this after exams.
Blast
Old Timer

Player: Blast
STEAM_0:0:55618158

Return to Gamer's Retreat