[PC - F2P - Craft and Combat] Crossout

Chat about games you play when you're NOT playing on UKCS

[PC - F2P - Craft and Combat] Crossout

Postby Flare on Thu May 19, 2016 1:37 pm

Game : Crossout
Genre : Free to Play , Craft and Fight , PvP and PvE with player economy .

My opinion : Not recommended you buy in, and probably not worth even trying at open beta.

Crossout is a new game by the developers of Star Conflict, Targems and published by War Thunder developers, Gaijin.
The game is a promising looking Mad Max-esque romp in the wasteland with the player building their combat vehicles from a array of bits and pieces, and then taking said vehicle into either PvP or PvE battles.
PvP and PvE are linked in that the fuel to run PvE is earned in PvP if you equip a fuel barrel, and PvE earns you craft material needed to craft weapons and equipment (but not structural items).
You can avoid either by using the market to buy what you need, and earning currency in the game is possible by using the market to sell items you craft or loot.
Weapons and equipment are all player craftable, and except for a few of the basic stuff are only available by crafting or buying off the player driven market, and these weapons and equipment have a limited use controlled by a durability stat which decreases when you lose either a PvP or PvE match up, so they need repairing and replacing.

The game looks pretty good with some rather neat little touches like how the exhaust pipes pop when you start stop the vehicle, and it has decent mechanics and physics to back up the looks, your vehicle will react in a manner you would expect (most of the time, lag can cause issues) ... fire a huge cannon and it will recoil and if not compensated your vehicle can flip over and be helpless.
The audio is pretty good with some typical metal music during combat and some smooth guitar when you are hanging out in the hangar, the combat sounds are fairly well done with some decent booms and MG audio, and a close explosion sounds like you have been deafened by the blast.

So where did it go wrong ?
Sadly the developers seem to have no idea of the basic concept of balance, the weapon balance and matchmaking are the absolute worst I have ever had the displeasure of trying to play, and after waiting for a few weeks for a balance the changes were so abysmally ineffective it shows clearly a lack on the part of the developers to see the issues.
The issues are not even subtle, matchmaking is based solely off a aggregate score of the vehicles weapons, equipment and structure (incl. armour) called Power Score (PS), but does not take player level into consideration at all, and the weapon scores are ridiculously unbalanced failing to take critical issues into account.
Weapons and equipment are divided by so called rarity, starting with white basic , blue rare, purple epic, orange legendary and the weapons and equipment scale in effectiveness according to rarity, as you would expect.
The balancing of the rarities is a mess though, so it easy for a high level player to bring epic or even legendary equipment to new player / low level player battles, and for my first two weeks I was facing epic rarity fire and forget guided missiles called Pyres with my light MG's and basic structures.
The long awaited patch from the developers, which many of us had hoped would fix the balances or at least start to fix... was way too weak, and to add insult some of the weapons were in fact buffed.

Currently new / low level players are being farmed by higher level players using the rare and epic weapons and equipment and squeezing them to low power scores, and then stacking reputation (exp) bonus items to farm levels, and generally 'wreck noobs'.
This translates to players with barely white class weapons being decimated by guided missile swarms, cluster rocket barrages with newly added proximity sensors, or being rammed up the arse with epic level chainsaws on stealth equipped buggies, or if that is not bad enough the game even has automated player deployed turrets and drones of both MG and Missile varieties.
The developers have not responded to this situation, and in fact defend the balancing... by claiming the high level players sacrifice armour to equip these overpowered weapons and equipment, but a basic weapon will not do much if the operator is dead in one shot.
This is not helped by the fact that repairing and replacing parts lost due to durability, thanks to losing so many matches, is very difficult as you need to win to earn craft components , fuel for PvE missions and the basic equipment that is rewarded on PvP victories.

In short, a promising game that is ruined by unbelievably poor balance judgement on the part of the developers, and the slow to none existing response to the issue of 'noob farming' in the game.
Should you as a new player now buy in , and try get anywhere will find yourself outmatched in fire power and your 'premium packaged vehicle and components' will soon end up being useless due to durability loss, and your initial 'premium package credit induction' will swiftly vanish as you buy parts to replace components reduced to 0 durability.

Do not BUY into this game, and I will keep an eye on it to see if it improves enough to be worth trying during open beta which is currently months away.
I'll let you guys know if and when its playable.

I will be unable to report further progress on this title due to the heavy handed moderation of that developer and publishers moderation team, I wouldn't trust that developer and publisher no matter how good the game turns out as the atmosphere in the forums and chat is stifled by excessive moderation, you could find a account you invested money into suddenly locked out for some minor infraction... or even bungled action by a moderator.

Don't bother with Youtube coverage, the biggest producers of Crossout videos have promotional accounts so they do not reflect the grind to get to max level, they are given max level accounts with every part as part of the promotional account.
Last edited by Flare on Mon May 23, 2016 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sometimes keeping an eye on your stats is not a good thing :P

Some things are painfully obvious, others must be made obvious... painfully
Flare
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: Flare
STEAM_0:0:690038

Re: [PC - F2P - Craft and Combat] Crossout

Postby Flare on Fri May 20, 2016 10:06 am

Lol, I got banned from the game forum (1 day) for complaining about the 'noob farmers' and the slow response by the developers, and my comment on the forum was deleted, the funny thing is the moderator quoted a rule... I wasn't breaking with my comment.

EDIT:
Better and better, I can post ( I assume, haven't tried but it does let me click new topic) but my PM privilege was taken away, and I cant even view my own profile.
Convenient isnt it, as the only 'allowed' method to contest the ban, is by PM'ing the administrator/s.
All because I posted a rant in a topic they wanted to advertise a crafting contest, because the game has a insane amount of 'seal clubbing' (high level players squeezing high level weapons into matches with new or low level players, farming them for easy EXP and Reputation).
The mod who banned me was busy deleting all the complaints from players who paid to enter the CBT and found themselves unable to level due to being farmed, and found their stuff useless due to the durability system breaking their stuff due to all the losses, and lack of stuff due to not being able to win much.

Flare
UKCS Life Sponsor

Postby Binerexis on Mon May 23, 2016 12:48 pm

To be honest, your report of how the mods are behaving has convinced me to never go anywhere near this game. I've already forgotten what it's called.
"Everyone just shut up and enjoy your arena."
"...But we don't enjoy aren-"
"SHUT UP AND ENJOY YOUR ARENA!"
Part three of my quest to lose my sanity

"Bin would get my Unusual hatz since he's the coolest, bravest, smartest and toughest admin." - Bruce Willis
Binerexis
Old Timer
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Extrodisian
STEAM_0:0:19678834

Postby Flare on Mon May 23, 2016 1:54 pm

I have given up as well Bin, I wont be able to report what its like at Open Beta because I had enough of the mods there.

I couldn't PM because allegedly another mod mistook me for a spam bot and cut off my PM access, just as my ban took effect, which co-incidentally prevented me from PM'ing a Admin to contest the ban...

So we have mods deleting topics in a closed off from the public section of the forum, deleting what they called 'lies and mistruths' issuing out bans with no warning or even giving a reason, accidentally muting the wrong players in game and not fixing it, and accidentally cutting PM off just as players get banned so they cant contest the ban...

yeah I would really trust that lot with my money, and that before you even start to complain about the game. :roll:

Flare
UKCS Life Sponsor

Postby Binerexis on Wed May 25, 2016 5:29 pm

Flare wrote:I couldn't PM because allegedly another mod mistook me for a spam bot and cut off my PM access, just as my ban took effect,

OH HOW CONVENIENT
"Everyone just shut up and enjoy your arena."
"...But we don't enjoy aren-"
"SHUT UP AND ENJOY YOUR ARENA!"
Part three of my quest to lose my sanity

"Bin would get my Unusual hatz since he's the coolest, bravest, smartest and toughest admin." - Bruce Willis
Binerexis
Old Timer
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Extrodisian
STEAM_0:0:19678834

Postby Flare on Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:47 pm

A quick update:

I found myself re-visiting Crossout, as I really enjoyed the basic mechanics of the game, and I hoped the MM and gestapo moderators were sorted out, and so far so good.

I am just having fun building vehicles and playing without bothering with the community forums, and as long as one does not actually pay anything until you are 100% sure its a game you would enjoy, Crossout is worth a look at, if only for its excellent building and physics, a far better looking and mechanically more sound Robocraft, if you enjoy Robocraft you will find Crossout enjoyable... hell if you just enjoy vehicle combat you may find Crossout worth a look.

Flare
UKCS Life Sponsor

Return to Gamer's Retreat