New seasonal league for Path of Exile

Chat about games you play when you're NOT playing on UKCS

New seasonal league for Path of Exile

Postby Jannick on Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:11 am

On Friday, January 15, Grinding Gear Games released a new seasonal Path of Exile league. This newest league, the Ritual League, is different from most seasonal leagues we've seen from Grinding Gear Games for two reasons. For starters, this league is coming later than expected. Originally scheduled to launch on December 11, Grinding Gear Games decided to delay the launch of Cyberpunk 2077 until December 10 because they didn't want to force players to choose between the new Path of Exile league and Cyberpunk - one of the most anticipated games - in recent memory.

I suspect most Path of Exile fans would have preferred to include the Ritual League after the disastrous release of Cyberpunk 2077, but in any case, the Ritual League is special not just because of its release. The League is not only special because its release was delayed by a month. It also comes with a new stumping expansion ("Echoes of the Atlas") that further expands on the already shocking stumping of stumping.

It was also past the hordes of returning Path of Exile players. While the Echoes of the Atlas and Ritual League weren't as buggy as the previous League, Heist, Grinding Gear Games noted that the new expansion had "an 11% higher number of peak players than any previous version of Exile Path, causing server instability that caused some players to suffer multiple crashes.

I was one of those players, but despite the crashes, I was back to full strength after one weekend. This was especially surprising to me because I also played in the extensive Heist League. A few months ago, I also suffered from an addiction to Path of Exile. Normally, I would take a few leagues off during my sabbatical (which lasts about three months), but it looks like I'm no longer just an occasional Path of Exile player.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still a desperate newbie when it comes to fully understanding all aspects of the game, but it's not all my fault. In early 2021, Path of Exile is a content-rich game. These seasonal leagues almost always introduce new game mechanics into the core rotation of the game after the league ends. Since 2013, about four new mechanics have been added each year, and there's a lot to absorb.

Path of Exile is not an easy game, either. Even those who don't play the game may have come across Path of Exile's passive ability tree in the past, as you can see in the image above where it exists in Ritual Alliance (also known as Path of Exile 3.13). Every time you upgrade, you get a passive skill point to assign to that tree, and no doubt there were many people who looked at that tree and decided to give Path of Exile a pass.

I was one of those people. After cutting my teeth in games like Diablo 2, Titan Quest, and the original Torchlight, it took me years to dive into Path of Exile because that passive tree looked so daunting. In reality, it's not that complicated - each class starts in a different section of the tree, which is why it's so large, and while you can allocate points to traverse the entire tree, you're actually more likely to limit the build to one or two sections near the starting location, since those sections contain the passive elements that are most relevant to your character.

However, there's no denying that there's a lot to know when you first enter Path of Exile, and although it may be a good thing for veterans that the game is so tight, it can be daunting for new players. If you make the effort to familiarize yourself with the build, the game mechanics, and this big tree, you'll find Path of Exile to be popular for good reason.

I don't know that I've ever played an addictive (or enjoyable) action RPG like this, but I'm going to say it anyway, as a Diablo 2 fan, as of today. ARPG fans like me tend to respect Diablo 2, but these days I think Path of Exile is the ARPG to beat. Path of Exile has long set the standard for ARPGs, and there are many other games that have tried and failed to do action RPGs better - some of the recent games that come to mind are Torchlight 3 and Wolcen, and it seems that neither of these could meet the needs of Path of Exile.

Of course, it helps that Path of Exile is free-to-play, with Grinding Gear Games making its money mostly through cosmetic microtransactions. Nowadays they have expanded into quality of life microtransactions such as: B. special hideout tabs for certain types of items and premium hideout tabs that can be used to list items for trade. The more I play, the more I find these stash tabs necessary, so if you want to dive in, maybe you should budget a little cash to fill up your stash a little.

The only major complaint I currently have about Path of Exile is that Grinding Gear Games is now also using loot boxes to sell new cosmetic sets, which ultimately means those who want to complete a set will be forced to add more loot boxes to buy. These loot boxes aren't cheap either, costing $ 3 each. The same goes for all of the cosmetics in Path of Exile, as they seem to be a bit more expensive than the microtransactions found in other games, but it won't cost your too much Path of Exile Currency.

My criticism of the microtransactions doesn't belittle the fact that Path of Exile is still a game worth playing, especially if you like other action RPGs. Echoes of the Atlas will likely be the last major expansion we'll see for Path of Exile before Path of Exile 2 hits out sometime next year, so now is the perfect time to dive in before Grinding Gear Games does a new one Heralds the era.

Jannick
Recruit Member

Player: Random
STEAM_0:0:51065986

Return to Gamer's Retreat