Tabs and sheet music

Talk about your favourite bands and genres in here. Please don't flame others tastes.

Postby Im over here! on Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:57 am

Can anybody suggest some easy well known songs too help me learn courds?

I've pretty much mastered Bob Dylan's - House of the Rising sun and thats really helped. Now I know Am, C, D, E and F (although I am having some trouble barring so I play it 003211)
Nick
"We can't stop here! This is UKCS!!!"
Im over here!

Player: Nick
STEAM_0:1:6263112

Location: UKCS TF2 Server 2. Its where the cool people chill.

Postby Logic3 on Sun Jun 29, 2008 12:11 pm

How well can you play?
Also you mean Chords :P

If you are starting off and want to learn simple stuff/get used to it, learn Blink 182 tunes. Everyone my age did and they've progressed well. I started both bass and guitar with Blink 182 and its helped me alot
Image --- Click to add me on Steam Friends!

Logic3
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: Logic ☂- James
STEAM_0:1:13240398

Postby Liquid on Sun Jun 29, 2008 1:07 pm

The chords to Freebird by Lynyrd Skynyrd are quite easy, though some barring is required i believe.

Also try Wonderwall or Don't Look Back in Anger by Oasis, both good beginner songs for chords.
Liquid
Experienced Member

Player: Liquid
STEAM_0:0:9949389

Postby Torpedo on Sun Jun 29, 2008 1:57 pm

Also in your place, i would try to play Janis Joplin and Big Brother & The Holding Company - Summertime, hearing only the voice, together with only a few chords or even challenging some solos. I think this is an excellent example how beautiful lyrics and voice can be inspiring.

Torpedo
Home Member

Postby Wild Bill UK on Sun Jun 29, 2008 2:37 pm

Liquid wrote:The chords to Freebird by Lynyrd Skynyrd are quite easy, though some barring is required i believe.

Only in the F which he already knows an alternative :P

http://ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/l/lynyr ... rd_crd.htm
Wild Bill UK
UKCS Sponsor

Player: Wild Bill
STEAM_0:1:11433649

Postby Mr Tortoise on Sun Jun 29, 2008 2:53 pm

Id be careful with the 0 on the low e string in that f of yours ... when it works it will be great .. when it doesnt it will be real bad)

lol its still oong after i deleted loads

good chordy songs ...

nothing else matters ... nice bit of a technicaly thing at the start also which is very playable but will take a while to really master though - but the chordy parts of the song are fun to play so thats cool .... also the solo is easy and sounds good - unless your on acoustic)

Its also in e minor rather than a minor like most of the suggestions so far - so slightly different set of chords but they still sound good

AC DC

really good solid chord based songs ... generally a minor ... but they chane it up a bit.

hells bells, back in black, highway to hell (downtuned tho - no prob if u have fixed bridge and a tuner) ... tbh ALL their songs have great solid chord progressions which will get you to the point where you can hear what chord will work after the one your playing - moreover playing them confidently. ACDC did wonders for my playing.

Pink floys have some good progressions ... but ACDC are my favorite for good solid simple chords. they also tend to rag them so it really gives you chance to practise the changes rather than worry about individually picking the notes. Solve one problem at a time.

what are you into music wise?

rock? punk? metal before 2000? after 2000? (big difference in style there)

Funk?

The main chords to learn are at the low end of the neck

E minor, G major, a major and minor. D major (and minor but i dont like the one at the low end of the neck), C major
(id avoid b minor unless you like a challenge - its a hard chrd to play)

they will keep you going for ages. The strings are longest so you get way more tone and volume.

From there you ahve your barre chords - i wouldnt start with these because they are quite tricky and require some hand strength and fitness - as you found with f which is the hardest to play probably. Once you get them down though they provide the base for loads of really cool sounding stuff.

The point is that with guitar you are constantly solving problems. Its really important to break these down into smaller problems and solve those. Otherwise it all gets a bit much and stops being fun.

Hence programs like guitar pro ... (which is a lot better than powertab ... ive used both for a long time and actually bought guitar pro)

The irony is that the 4 chord shapes for 7th's are actually easier to play than major / minor - once you can barre - but technically a bit harder to explain where they come from - so dont be afraid to learn some funky sounding chords (with add9 or 13 on them) - they sound good (so maybe you want to buy a chord dictionary?)

The golden rule with guitar though is that *every* note is a good note in the right place - if it doesnt slide up half a fret and look like you meant to do it (do it again in a few bars and call it fusion). If it sounds good figure out how to play it - odds are it will be some wierd add 9 with a augmented 5th or something - but that name doesnt matter - only how it sounds matters.

just remember to write it down.

Probably gone way ott there.

Mr Tortoise
UKCS Sponsor

Player: Mr Tortoise
STEAM_0:1:5538686

Postby Zircon on Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:06 pm

Satsuma wrote:I have guitar pr0, just no source since mysongbook.com went down, where you guys get ur gp tabs? :/

I'm not 100% sure but http://www.gprotab.net/ has ALL the GP tabs mysongbook ever had.
Zircon
UKCS Sponsor

Player: Duane
STEAM_0:0:9874604

Postby Liquid on Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:49 pm

Wild Bill UK wrote:
Liquid wrote:The chords to Freebird by Lynyrd Skynyrd are quite easy, though some barring is required i believe.

Only in the F which he already knows an alternative :P

http://ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/l/lynyr ... rd_crd.htm

Yes, BUT thing is...

When you play the chorus, you play the chords with a bit more aggression (at least thats how it sounds on the studio recording) so i wouldn't recommend the bottom C Maj Chord since you can't control the ringing once you've struck the chord. One of the benefits of barring is that you can instantly mute the strings after you've played the Chord, using the barring finger.

Therefore, i would use the barred C on the A string (3rd fret), and THEN use the low D Maj chord.
Liquid
Experienced Member

Player: Liquid
STEAM_0:0:9949389

Postby Wild Bill UK on Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:07 pm

ahh fair point!!

but i only play it on my acoustic and it sounds fine

but anyway barre chords don't have to be played completely you can just play the power chord which makes it easier (just can't do that if the song requires a picking melody thats on a barre :D) so if you can't get the hang of them at the moment don't worry!!
Wild Bill UK
UKCS Sponsor

Player: Wild Bill
STEAM_0:1:11433649

Re: Tabs and sheet music

Postby a box on Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:42 pm

http://www.justinguitar.com/
Good website for beginners and people who just want to progress a bit further. He's got a great video walkthrough of learning to play Johnny B Goode by Chuck Berry :) Link Below
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RVy8QVS ... re=related

a box
UKCS Sponsor

Steam_0:1:11161885

Postby Gh0st.IRE on Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:41 pm

Im looking for the tab to Thin Lizzy's Whiskey In The Jar sub-solo halfway through the song, on the 3rd repeat of the riff. Anyone help?
Ex-TF2 Admin. Forum Moderator. Add me on Steam or PM me here!
Heresy MMO Guild Member.
Gh0st.IRE

Player: Rear Naked Bugs
STEAM_0:0:12137987

Postby Salva on Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:28 pm

you after the mid solo at 2:20ish+? ive got the tab on the pc for guitar pro i can send you it or screen the bit your after.
Salva
Always remember kids it's Unspecified's Salva's fault!
Salva
UKCS Life Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee
UKCS Rentboy

Player: Salva
STEAM_0:1:492410

Postby Gh0st.IRE on Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:37 am

Salva wrote:you after the mid solo at 2:20ish+? ive got the tab on the pc for guitar pro i can send you it or screen the bit your after.

Half a listen to this, Start from 1:16->1:40 roughly. At about 1:30 the part Im looking for starts, Its a slight change to the riff's ending.
Ex-TF2 Admin. Forum Moderator. Add me on Steam or PM me here!
Heresy MMO Guild Member.
Gh0st.IRE

Player: Rear Naked Bugs
STEAM_0:0:12137987

Postby Salva on Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:51 pm

give that a try, i think the bit your after is the 12 14 12 14 14 14 14 14 12, i tried it sounds about right just gotta get the bends right, but theres plenty of different tabs out there with different ways to do it.
Salva
Salva
UKCS Life Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee
UKCS Rentboy

Postby Midget Gems on Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:42 pm

Hi guys *waves*
So, I just got myself a new guitar and I've put it in open D - I've started playing around with it, got used to a few shapes and how the strings relate to standard tuning. I've got the basics of one song written and ready, but I plan on writing quite few in open tunings. Can any recommend me some songs in an open tuning (I can capo it if it's not in D) so I can get some ideas and learn some new shapes etc.
I have guitar pro.

Thanks guys :)
Not a midget, just vertically challenged.

TC wrote:
UK_sniper wrote:well that fills the ginger quota for UKCS admins :P

Damn, i thought he was recruited to fill the transvestite slot. :roll:

Keep looking Saggy.
Midget Gems
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: Midget Gems
STEAM_0:0:4408111

Postby Salva on Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:01 pm

what type of music are you after?

There some good blues and slide tabs out there for Open D.

But if thats not your thing i know bands/people such as Led Zeppelin, Neil Young, Joni Mitchell's have a few Open D songs aswell as Bob Dylan who uses open D and E (Capo open D 2nd fret i think.)

Thats just a few examples as i have no idea what music your into, but if all else fails start googling then fire the results into a tab website.
Salva
Salva
UKCS Life Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee
UKCS Rentboy

Postby Glitch on Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:09 pm

If anyone could give me some tabs for that in the closest tuning (tuning won't be told by CKY themself) that would be great.

This is the closest I found, but the tone is just a bit too high I think, maybe it's played in Open D or maybe even half a step down from Open D ?

http://www.911tabs.com/link/?1591466
Glitch
Home Member

Player: Nyacide Green
STEAM_0:1:25203245

Postby Dragneil on Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:23 pm

if anyone could make a MIDI file on this one it would be great:D

nothing major, just want the piano on it

love that song, but my ears arent good enough to do it myself, so i ask for your help:)

please dont make a pdf file:P i cant read thoose things^^

Thank you
I made a police call once, I reported my colleague for being a pedophile. yes, it turned out in trials and everything, he lost custody of his children, his wife left him, but he was completely innocent, so kent if you are reading this now, let me just say that, think twice before you take my stapler next time
Dragneil
Recruit Member

Player: Dragneil
STEAM_0:0:17753828

Previous

Return to Music