Audio neds! Help required!

Talk about your favourite bands and genres in here. Please don't flame others tastes.

Audio neds! Help required!

Postby Blast on Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:25 pm

Hey folks, I run all of my music through a my laptop at home, which is connected to a 2.1 logitec setup via a mini jack connection (standard ipod headphone size for example)

I am looking into really getting something meatier, however I only have room for a 2.1 Setup. The speaker I am looking into require left/right input etc, so it's not something that I could wire right into my laptop audio output. I was wondering what is on the market that would allow me to go;

Laptop > ???? > left/right/sub

Your input (no pun intended) would be very much appreciated! <3
Blast
Old Timer

Player: Blast
STEAM_0:0:55618158

Re: Audio neds! Help required!

Postby Enigma on Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:41 pm

Link the speaker. You could buy a 3 way reduction.
Enigma
UKCS Sponsor

Player: nice dead server lmao
STEAM_0:1:29505170

Postby Shuriken on Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:07 pm

Wouldn't this work? I use one with cabled jacks on the end to be even lazier lol

This is my sandvich. There are many others like it, but this one is mine. My sandvich is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me, my sandvich is useless. Without my sandvich, I am useless. I must eat my sandvich true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy, who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I will. Before lunch I swear this creed: my sandvich and myself are defenders of my country, we are the masters of our enemy, we are the saviors of my life. So be it, until there is no enemy, but sandvich. Om nom.

Shuriken
Old Timer

Player: `_´ HaemoGobliN `_´
STEAM_0:1:5456922

Postby Allan Ocelot on Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:03 pm

Buy a decent pair of Studio Monitors, once you have some they last a couple of years. An entry level pair will be about £150 but far superior to any 2.1 with sub equiv for the price.
Love from,
A music lover.
- Knowledge is a curse but ignorance is worse - Neil Hannon.
Allan Ocelot
UKCS Sponsor

Player: ALLAN OCELOT - "The Bard"
STEAM_0:0:33578867

Postby Blast on Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:32 am

Thank you guys, I was thinking about getting a set of KRK Rokits, would they be easy to connect up?
Blast
Old Timer

Postby Shuriken on Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:56 pm

Since your only output is the laptop headphone jack that's going to be your quality limiter. Rokits are nice but they won't increase the sound quality unless you were using tin cans with strings before lol. As for connecting them, they've got rca and trs connections. The rca connection is unbalanced so it could pick up noise so you're left with trs or xlr connections. In terms of hooking them up, you're in the same boat as before, each requiring an input, so you'd still need a stereo splitter from your laptop output
This is my sandvich. There are many others like it, but this one is mine. My sandvich is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me, my sandvich is useless. Without my sandvich, I am useless. I must eat my sandvich true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy, who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I will. Before lunch I swear this creed: my sandvich and myself are defenders of my country, we are the masters of our enemy, we are the saviors of my life. So be it, until there is no enemy, but sandvich. Om nom.

Shuriken
Old Timer

Postby Blast on Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:00 pm

If the laptops headphone jack is going to be a quality limiter, would it be worth instead of running it via my laptop, getting some KRK Rokits through an amplification system and playing the high quality audio though 320kbps on my iphone through something like a dacmagic? I'm not after louder, i'm after the best possible quality audio, if the laptop headphone jack is going to limit the sound quality then i will find another means, the better quality speakers though are something i desperately want.
Blast
Old Timer

Postby Kaelan002 on Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:21 pm

I take it the laptop doesn't have digital out?
Some models have toslink (digital optical) built in through the standard headphone jack. It's mainly macbooks, but may be worth checking.
There are 10 types of people in the world: those that know binary, those that don't, and those that didn't expect this joke to be in base 3.

[video =373,150]http://a.pomf.se/ixefrf.webm[/video] Now shhhh Kaelan... OOOOOOH
pomf.se is ded. :'(
Kaelan002
UKCS Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Kae
STEAM_0:1:29878923

Postby heuji on Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:52 am

it would be worth investing in something like THIS if you really want decent sound.
that's only an example too. theres plenty external USB soundcards on the market to suit varying price ranges. the card in your laptop will be pretty bad. i wouldnt even say thats a brilliant card, when speaking from a true audiophile point of view, but it will be a hell of an improvement. you could even hook it directly up to your hi-fi etc.
☁ every cloud has a silver lining, it's called rain! ☁
heuji
UKCS Sponsor

Player: heuji
STEAM_0:0:5401050

Postby Shuriken on Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:47 pm

^ Sound advice. (PUNS LOLOLOLOL)

Shuriken
Old Timer

Return to Music