Freeware Design Programs

Forum area for posting anything related to art and design. A lot of people post their signatures here and lots of opportunity to have one made for you.

Freeware Design Programs

Postby Little_Devil on Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:55 pm

http://www.snap2objects.com/2007/07/20/ ... -programs/

Many very good freeware apps for your designing, from your basic art and image editing packages to generating landscapes.

Little_Devil
Exec. Admin (Retired)

Player: Aurora
STEAM_0:1:6431437

Postby vikingclan on Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:48 pm

very nice list :)

photoshop still <3

vikingclan
UKCS Sponsor

Player: Carrot
STEAM_X:X:XXXXXXXX

Postby Who Am I? on Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:04 pm

This is awesome LD, I will most certainly have use of that site :o
and for those that don't want to buy Photoshop, there are a few just as good programs in there, GIMP would be the best to recommend I think.

cheers!
wa1gasm/susan in-game.
Who Am I?

Player: wa1gasm
STEAM_0:0:12807451

Postby Little_Devil on Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:57 am

One more to add to the list, more of a professional CAD package, but the e version is free for academic or personal use.

http://www.delcam.com/intlresp/powersha ... rom=PSHAPE

With some tutorials here :

http://www.delcam.com/intlresp/downloadpshape4.asp

Little_Devil
Exec. Admin (Retired)

Player: Aurora
STEAM_0:1:6431437

Re: Freeware Design Programs

Postby DsarchyUK on Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:42 am

For anyone that can't be bothered to click on that link. Some programs any HDD shouldn't be without

For raster (photoshop) graphics:
GIMP.
I actually prefer this app over Photoshop. I know I'm weird :D But I love the smudge antilogarithm, its so close to acrylic paint its ridiculous.

Vector (Illustrator)
Paint.Net.
No where near Illustrator but as good as you can get. And tbh once you download all the plugins it is as good as CS

3D
Blender.
I would say I was lucky as I learnt to model in this app and then moved over to G-Max and MayaPLE, so the UI wasn't a problem. However if your not in the same position as me learn to use linux then have a crack at this app and it will feel like second home. So much to this app......

The trick is to think outside of the box. If you want to create good art then it has to be your own work. Learn to use lots of programs and techniques.

If you can find a program that works for you then use it. For example I hate the Flame filter in photoshop. so I use Apophysis and then rendering using Flam3. Finishing it off in photoshop:

Take this idea further, wack it in GIMP and then draw over the top:

I like these posts as they are good reference for people but one word of advice; don't get caught up on learning to use these programs, they will change, focus on your own art instead and try to find an app that suites you.
DsarchyUK
UKCS Sponsor

Player: l@rry
STEAM_0:0:18694735

Return to Art, Posters & Signatures