DoD Server at night/early hours

Forum discussion on Day of Defeat game

DoD Server at night/early hours

Postby Flawless on Sun Apr 23, 2006 2:15 am

Seems to die off as soon as custom map is implemented. I don't know if others have noticed it, but I booted up Xfire and looked the server saw 20 odd people playing on avalanche and thought cool, some fun. Then loaded up and it changed to dijon after which only me and Dr. Cali are left.
F is for Flawesome
Flawless
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: FLawless
STEAM_0:1:6217222

Postby Dr Feelgood on Sun Apr 23, 2006 8:16 am

The problem with dod-dijon is that it is a big map to download and many people don't seem to like hanging around waiting for it.

A couple of custom maps have been put on the rotation in evening only so can players who do not have these maps yet please be patient while they download.

For those who dont have them yet, download the maps from here:-

Dijon
http://halflife2.filefront.com/file/DoD ... _Map;57267

Churchyard
http://www.907th.com/file.php?id=555
Last edited by Dr Feelgood on Sun Apr 23, 2006 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dr Feelgood
UKCS Sponsor

Player: Dr Feelgood
STEAM_0:0:12324178

Location: Uranus (hehe..get it..Ur anus...Your Anus...Oh why do I even bother)

Postby L.A.M.F. on Sun Apr 23, 2006 8:44 am

Dijon is a fine map but it's true that some people don't want to download maps becouse they are so busy :?
Sig made by Toecutter

Image Stiv |UKCS|
L.A.M.F.
Home Member

Player: Stiv
STEAM_0:1:6597924

Postby Hesh on Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:08 am

exaclty , when i download any map i hardly have to wait, so i what i think it might is that ppl get afk kicked while downloading it. This has happened to me when im just connecting the the server.
says "sending client info" then its says i been afk kicked. so maybe thats the prob?
March You Pigs!!!
Ride the Spiral to the ending.
Hesh
Home Member

Player: Monster Hesh
STEAM_0:1:6530083

Postby Dr Caligineus on Sun Apr 23, 2006 12:48 pm

I think a lot of people just lack patience.
Dr Caligineus
Experienced Member

Player: Dr Caligineus
STEAM_0:0:6046962

Postby Satsuma on Sun Apr 23, 2006 1:13 pm

i agree with cal.
Satsuma
UKCS Sponsor

Player: biggie d
STEAM_0:1:10143646

Postby Joveie on Sun Apr 23, 2006 8:20 pm

Hesh wrote:exaclty , when i download any map i hardly have to wait, so i what i think it might is that ppl get afk kicked while downloading it. This has happened to me when im just connecting the the server.
says "sending client info" then its says i been afk kicked. so maybe thats the prob?

happened to me a couple of times with new maps on UKCS, after a while of downloading the map, usually jsut as its finished downloading i get kicked for being afk... although i can just rejoin, which i did, maybe alot of people dont bother?!

Joveie
Home Member

Player: Joveie
STEAM_0:1:1505914

Postby Foo on Sun Apr 23, 2006 8:28 pm

i lack patience a lot on downloading maps, i don't like spending time downloading before i can play just one of those things. although i do tend to stay on if a custom map vote goes through i'll let it download, but i won't join a server that has a map i don't have, especially if i know am not gonna be on for too long anyway. maybe someone could make a plugin that would allow custom maps to enter votes at peak times, or when so many people are online, would take some scripting but would stop the server dying so quickly offpeak times.

Foo

Postby Cloth on Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:35 pm

Funny you should say the Foo, but TC has enabled the custom maps to come up in the vote from 7pm to 11pm. I will post more details once we have complete some testing and gathered all the relevent information.
*Download* - Cloths Smaller DoD Hud
Cloth
UKCS Sponsor

Player: WankCloth™
STEAM_0:0:4400101

Postby Hesh on Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:59 pm

well i didnt see one custom map tonight appart from the churchyard which we started on, and pier towards the end.
March You Pigs!!!
Ride the Spiral to the ending.
Hesh
Home Member

Player: Monster Hesh
STEAM_0:1:6530083

Postby Cloth on Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:36 pm

There are four customs on rotation from 7pm to 11pm. I played three of them tonight :)
*Download* - Cloths Smaller DoD Hud
Cloth
UKCS Sponsor

Player: WankCloth™
STEAM_0:0:4400101

Postby TC on Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:40 pm

As Cloth said, customs are mow only on in peek hours.

Also see this thread:

http://forums.uk-cstrike.net/viewtopic.php?t=14172

Its a catch 22, ppl want custom maps, but ppl don't want to play custom maps. :roll:

We want to run custom maps to add more variety. When a custom is on the server can be full with 32 players, all downloaded the map fine, but then they just drop off. I dunno, i've wondered whether ppl find DoD very difficult to play even on maps they know, so get scared off on any map they feel disadvantaged on that they don't know.

Never known anything like it before! It must be cracked. Thats why we're trying to introduce the customs during peek only and see how that goes.

Also, i've just increased the AFK time at the welcome screen to 4 minutes. This timeout does not include download time, this is 4 minutes once a map is downloaded and you are sitting at the welcome screen.

Player feedback on this is really important, so keep ideas coming.
TC
UKCS President

Player: TC
STEAM_0:0:3198285

Postby Flawless on Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:04 pm

Personally, I think people are in a mind set of,

"Well, this server plays alot of Valve maps, so why should I bother downloading a custom I didn't even vote for."

I think its a matter of, people:

A) Just don't want to play customs (for what ever reason)
B) They didn't vote for a download, so they won't.

Its nice that the problem has been recognised, but unless we get some more of the Reg from the DoD:S server on to the forums, we won't be able to get to bottom of "why customs kills the server" question.

Personally, I <3 customs, I think it adds a new dimension to the gameplay espically if its a new map. Learning how to play, not knowning where all the camping sites are etc.
F is for Flawesome
Flawless
UKCS Life Sponsor

Postby TC on Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:05 pm

If the existing forum members can go on a forum recruitment drive that would be great. The obvious advantage of being on the forum is they can directly have input in to the running of the server!
TC
UKCS President

Postby Flawless on Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:07 pm

We do, numerous people have binded certain Keys to something like

"Welcome to UKCS - Join the UKCS Community at Uk-cstrike.net"

But I think people fail to realise what a great community they are missing out on :)
F is for Flawesome
Flawless
UKCS Life Sponsor

Postby Joveie on Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:50 am

well as u all know I'm not a big fan of custom maps, but that doesnt affect my thinking that without them we would have a much more active server. as TC said the player base drops by 30% when they are on.

i think when the new content is released we should lay off the customs for a while

Joveie
Home Member

Player: Joveie
STEAM_0:1:1505914

Postby Dr Caligineus on Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:33 pm

I like custom maps as long as they're well-made and balanced but I also agree with:

Joveie wrote:i think when the new content is released we should lay off the customs for a while

:)
Dr Caligineus
Experienced Member

Player: Dr Caligineus
STEAM_0:0:6046962

Postby L.A.M.F. on Fri Apr 28, 2006 5:25 pm

Well ofc some custom maps are boring, laggy and they clear the server from players. But just playing same valve maps is getting boring too :?
Sig made by Toecutter

Image Stiv |UKCS|
L.A.M.F.
Home Member

Player: Stiv
STEAM_0:1:6597924

Postby Coke on Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:45 pm

IMO the worst thing we could possibly do is remove the custom maps.

I'm not saying that because I love custom maps (though I do). But rather because I feel we need to be consistant and build a player base that likes what UKCS has to offer.

What I have noticed is that when we had custom maps before, the number of regs was slowly growing. Then we had the Kalt 24/7 binge, that all though kept the server fairly full, cleared a lot of the regs off, and we slowly started to see a build of new regs. Then customs were re-introduced and a lot of the regs left again, and we slowly started to build up a new lot of regs.

What I am saying is that people put servers in their faves because they offer the type of game (as well as the enviroment) that they want to play. If your not heavily involved in a server with its community, and you sudenly find it has stoped offering the game play you like you go somewhere else. Sure you will eventualy replace those guys with people that like what the server now offers, but this will take time.

If the server keeps chopin-and-changing what type of gameplay it is going to offer, i feel it is only going to keep knocking the slow build up in a regular player base back.

Also a lot of the DoD and CS maps that we now call standard actually started off as customs in the first place, and a lot of maps that were released as officials have now almost been compleatly forgoton.

Rant over
Coke
UKCS Sponsor

Player: Coke
STEAM_0:1:4280401

Postby TC on Fri Apr 28, 2006 10:25 pm

It needs to be appreciated that there's no point at all having a server which is totally empty 24/7 so any course of action that results in that has no warrant.

When we first started DoD we had quite a few custom maps on and the server and the server would almost always return to empty during the life of any custom map and that would be it for a few hours. It got to the point we almost packed it in as some days there would be no players at all, and others just for an hour or so. We removed more and more customs until there was just 1. Even then, when that 1 map came on, the server emptied. We removed the last custom map. Bingo! People started playing again and the player base started to build and has grown and grown. We've tried the odd custom map every now and again and similary was badly received. The majority of the available player base are still not keen on custom maps. Its important for UKCS to be responsive and dynamic and if we stayed with customs we'd have closed UKCS DoD some time ago. This is why a single setup is not always practical to stick with, not if it doesn't develop the server and results in its close . Its necessary to dynamically respond to what the majority players are looking for at the maturity of the game. And that varies over time as the players and game mature. The history of this is on these forums.

Personally, I like diversity in maps and have spent large amounts of time supporting custom maps and finding the right maps for players. This can be seen if you look at CSS and all the map AI, map ratings etc that i've developed. However, it has to be played very carefully with DoD so not to be entirely self defeating. Playing a custom map with 3 people isn't as fun as playing a valve map with 32 people. The 3 people game becomes a 0 player game after 15 minutes and the server stays empty. The 32 player valve play goes on.

We are introducing custom maps, but we're doing it in a smart way introducing them when the player pool is at its largest (peek hours). We won't push customs to the point we close the server just for the sake of custom maps though as that doesn't benefit anyone. We'll introduce custom maps methodically and carefully guaging the response to do so in the appropriate way.

Thats as sensible and fair as it can get.
TC
UKCS President

Next

Return to UKCS : Day Of Defeat Chat