Tips for an newcomer?

Forum discussion on Day of Defeat game

Tips for an newcomer?

Postby Nish on Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:38 pm

Im a newcomer to this game, does anyone have any tips?

I manage to get some kills with my morale, but the morale failes from time to time :lol:

Any tips?
Service Manager for Skedsmo Red Cross, Norway. Also, I like pie.
Image Image
Nish
Admin Cadet
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Nish
STEAM_0:1:17901503

Re: Tips for an newcomer?

Postby n0rd on Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:14 pm

hey m8 one of my should be that you keep out for Destroy-rs when he has the meatshield crakcer gun (MG) and maybe you me then as a super strong meatshield that's it :P see you ingame...
Last edited by n0rd on Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Feel free to ask questions - n0rd|UKCS| Image / Image
n0rd
UKCS Sponsor

Player: n0rd
STEAM_0:0:12198010

Postby Slippery Lizard on Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:17 pm

go nuts!

and pwn aneki as many times as possible! always funny!
You think your safe, until you turn a corner i see a massive rocket heading straight for you.........what do you do???
WARNING: YOU CANNOT ESCAPE MY ROCKETS! (Big Hitting Lizard)
Slippery Lizard
UKCS Sponsor

Player: Big Hitting Lizard [LSS]
STEAM_0:1:20778156

Postby n0rd on Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:29 pm

Slippery where the h**l are you these days I miss you lol ^^ but you should play a bit again I think! :D
Feel free to ask questions - n0rd|UKCS| Image / Image
n0rd
UKCS Sponsor

Player: n0rd
STEAM_0:0:12198010

Postby Nish on Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:29 pm

Noted :lol:
Image Image
Nish
Admin Cadet
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Postby Maddox on Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:30 pm

Welcome to DODS!

Here is a good basic introduction to DoDS: http://www.lamsey.co.uk/dodsgameplay.htm

If you feel like you have a good aim I suggest trying to start with rifleman class (axis rifle often makes one hit kills), or support class. The assault class are only useful when very close, since the accuracy is very unreliable at longer ranges. If you are using an automatic weapon, always shoot in short bursts unless its up close and personal. And "cook" the grenades a few seconds so people are less likely to run away from them.

I'm sure other people can give more tips :)

PS: And ofcourse it helps to know the maps and where the enemy is likely to be/come from

Maddox
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: Maddox
STEAM_0:1:5754809

Postby Slippery Lizard on Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:31 pm

im around...ish, dont play alot, but i normally jump on late in the evening with aneki
You think your safe, until you turn a corner i see a massive rocket heading straight for you.........what do you do???
WARNING: YOU CANNOT ESCAPE MY ROCKETS! (Big Hitting Lizard)
Slippery Lizard
UKCS Sponsor

Player: Big Hitting Lizard [LSS]
STEAM_0:1:20778156

Postby syco cocker on Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:00 pm

Get to learn the maps, find all the camp spots , find the areas where snipers can't see, listen this is something a lot of players don't do, stop every so often you will be surprised how you can tell where the enemy is by the foot steps.
I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandad
not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car.
syco cocker
Senior Admin

Player: syco cocker
STEAM_0:0:11836468

Postby Nish on Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:02 pm

I do that in css alot syco, will try and do that on DOD:S to :)
Image Image
Nish
Admin Cadet
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Postby Flawless on Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:13 pm

syco cocker wrote:Get to learn the maps, find all the camp spots , find the areas where snipers can't see, listen this is something a lot of players don't do, stop every so often you will be surprised how you can tell where the enemy is by the foot steps.

Should equal kills, the more you know a map the better. You'll start to be able to estimate the respawn times and how long it should take for a player to get back to that position. Use the map, you can easily tell where certain people will be where they're killing people, take Donner for example. A sniper is much more likely to be top right window (looking at it) or underneath at the sand bags if his kills are coming from the road to axis second they also won't be getting kills near the tank house entrance. Might seem stupidly obvious but don't let your x-hair wonder have it where a person will be so you don't have to fumble with your mouse before you're able to fire at them.
F is for Flawesome
Flawless
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: FLawless
STEAM_0:1:6217222

Postby ANEKi on Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:22 pm

Welcome Nish! Thanks for pointing this out for meh ;)

I converted to this from playing CS:S and never looked back. The problem I found with CS:S is that as soon as you spawn, you get a bullet to the head. It can happen in this game, but in rare cases. You'll soon discover what you'll like about it in regards to maps - I'm on the 24/7 Donner server.. 24/7 :? But you may like server one, which is map rotation, which gives a bit of variety.

Game play wise, you'll also soon realize that there is a lot of good players that will breeze through the servers and they will anger you beyond belief with their shots. One tip is to learn the camping spots of people. Donner's spots are in the garden; behind the shed or to the left of the shed (if you're Axis). Axis camping spots are usually concentrated around the 2nd Axis flag and back of the Axis sniper house.

I'd start off with a 'spray and pray' weapon - you'll probably get slated for using them, but never mind that. We were all beginners once!

Personally, I tend to favour the Panzerschrek/Bazooka - only for it's hilarious consequences of course. Nothing funnier than placing a well aimed rocket and whoever is on the receiving end does a mid-air cartwheel!

Just go with the flow really! If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask anyone. Or if you have a more important question, you can contact the admins by placing a @ before your message in game.. Thats it's you're also new to UKCS that is!

Hope you enjoy your stay! ;)

ANEKi
UKCS Admin

Player: ANΞKii
STEAM_0:1:15260649

Postby Destroy on Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:54 pm

*. WelCome nish .*

Hint * Runn Nish.. Runn!! :D

if u learned better the game After,..

U always can install an "very well" dods *Hud* -> Sounds/Flags/Skins/...

Visit : http://www.dodbits.com/dod/index.php?op ... elect&id=2

Greetzzzzz
`. · » add Image me « · .´
`. · » Ðestroy-Я·©·« · .´

Send a message to me? -> Image <- please click on the icon
Destroy
Home Member

Player: Ðestroy-Я ·©·
STEAM_0:1:8480375

Postby Nish on Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:39 pm

Thanks for the replies.

Destro, do you recommend any hud/flag/skins?
Image Image
Nish
Admin Cadet
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Postby Primal ShadoW on Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:20 pm

1. learn maps - no matter how good your aim is, you can't play tactically unless you learn the maps. start with the regular maps, donner, avalanche, argentan, flash, palermo, anzio.
2. once you get the hang of it, start testing out the different guns, and if i may say, dont touch the assault class, ever (nor mg or rocket). if you want automatic weapons, go with support class, its just as good as assault in closecombat, plus it has the range of a rifle (kinda).
3. start practising the little details that often give you an upper hand in firefights, f.ex picking up a different gun from the ground that fits the situation better, or when your ammo runs out. as syco mentioned, listen for footsteps. watch the names of people, and know their position, when you see that they die you know someone often is around that area. and try thinking what other players are thinking, to outsmart them.

download insanes hud version 8. smaller hud, a lot better than the standard. download, extract, install (follow easy instructions).
sensitivity - id recommend low, gives you greater control of the small movements which is crucial. but its just preferance.
xhair - also preference, but a small dot is the best one imo (choose the dot xhair, and type cl_crosshair_scale 8 in console)
you could also dl custom configs from top us and eu players, which basically gives you max performance with low graphics (more of a competative factor).

welcome to dods :) ,
and for the love of god, dont camp.

Primal ShadoW
Experienced Member

Player: mkkk
STEAM_0:1:6008644

Postby ZOO-UK- on Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:51 pm

Maddox[NOR] wrote:The assault class are only useful when very close, since the accuracy is very unreliable at longer ranges

I agree but you know how often some blaggy git will slam you with a headshot from a Thompson at over 100 metres - nightmare!
As tips go in my humble opinion, go assault at first and get used to recoil in game and you'll soon get hang of crouching and prone stuff, also it allows you to run around like a nutter so that you can get used to the maps and when you run head first into someone you stand a chance!
Oh and go server #1 - its by far the best! (Ignore Aneki :p)
ZOO
'It's a trick - get an axe!'
ZOO-UK-
UKCS Sponsor

Player: ZOO-UK-
STEAM_0:1:5051457

Postby paddyohale on Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:17 pm

I would agree in going Assault to begin with, the Thompson/MP40 are very easy to control in short bursts and are not too erratic for prolonged firing at close range (for those up-close-and-personal moments ;)). By constantly moving you can gain an appreciation of both the map and the sounds you and others make, which can help you become...

Support. Almost as useful for assaulting, their weapons pack a greater punch (at the expense of being able to punch, naturally - see what I did there? :P). Only fire in SHORT BURSTS unless you are prone, otherwise you're gonna have some holes in the aircraft flying overhead.

MGs are mainly useful in defending "owned" territory, it's very difficult to use them effectively when leading a rush. And when used properly, it's not camping!

Sniper should be used for picking off enemy snipers and MGs, to allow your team to move up and take objectives defended by said enemy snipers and MGs.

Snipers are actually often used for getting cheap kills away from the objectives, leaving the enemy snipers and MGs in place to defend the objectives for the enemy team.

If you're good at aiming, the Rifleman class is always worth a shout. The K98 is one-shot-kill for torso hits, and you can often kill two in one shot in doorways and corridors. The rifle grenade is also useful to dislodge MGs and snipers from around corners with a bit of practice, bouncing them off walls high up means they may not be spotted by the targetted enemy until it is too late.

And finally, the Rocket class. I personally can't stand the C96 as a secondary weapon - I much prefer the M1 carbine. Both rockets are very useful for removing entrenched enemies in flanking attacks, although it is also possible to provide indirect fire over a long range. Taking out an enemy with a rocket in open play usually results in some laughs, flying corpses and general "WTF?" on the opposition.

ZOO-UK- wrote:Oh and go server #1 - its by far the best! (Ignore Aneki :p)

Aneki's fine, don't ignore him! Just ignore his rockets :P.

Pad.
paddyohale
UKCS Admin

Player: Παδδυ™
STEAM_0:1:8276332

Postby Flawless on Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:30 pm

Support. Almost as useful for assaulting, their weapons pack a greater punch (at the expense of being able to punch, naturally - see what I did there? :P). Only fire in SHORT BURSTS unless you are prone, otherwise you're gonna have some holes in the aircraft flying overhead.
Should unbind crouch (and prone) if you're having trouble with the recoil on it. Can basically use it like a rifle if you master it.

Sniper should be used for picking off enemy snipers and MGs, to allow your team to move up and take objectives defended by said enemy snipers and MGs.
Nooooo, Mg's should be used to defend choke points. There's nothing worse than a sniper just sitting back doing sweet FA, you should be pushing forward putting pressure on their MG's and other players which will help to win maps. Camping in Axis sniper house for an entire match is just dirty and you should feel ashamed.
F is for Flawesome
Flawless
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: FLawless
STEAM_0:1:6217222

Return to UKCS : Day Of Defeat Chat