Sniper Tips

Forum discussion on Day of Defeat game

Sniper Tips

Postby FooFighter on Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:57 pm

Having played on your Sniper server for a while it's clear there are many bad players out there. I'm a little surprised tbh as the game's so old I figured everyone would be l33t by now but there seem to be lots of players who've only started playing DODS recently. Unfortunately as such there are a few who cry cheat when they get owned (Wardog, here's looking at you kid ;)) so having done a quick search I thought I'd put down some of my own tips for playing Sniper.

disclaimer : I don't mean this to come across as arrogance, I'm a bad Sniper personally. When I played it competitively, which I did a few years ago, I got my arse kicked on a regular basis. This is just to hopefully point people in the right direction to improving their game and understanding why some people can appear to be better than they are themselves.

note: This is all writen from the perspective of an aggressive Sniper (i.e. one who pushes up / goes on the attack) as opposed to "passive" who prones in a nice camping spot and shoots whatever comes into their crosshair. That's not me, and although you'll die less by camping you'll kill less also. If you're a camper stop reading, this isn't for you ;)

1. Key assignment. Although MOUSE2 is the default for Alt-weapon (the key you press to scope with a Sniper rifle) you might be tempted to assign it to something else. If you're thinking of using a key on the keyboard instead of a mouse button, don't. This is your most important key, you should use a mouse button to enable you to scope / un-scope on the move, and you should be extremely comfortable with moving and scoping before you do anything else.

2. Go to Options -> Multiplayer -> Advanced and un-tick (if ticked) the option that says :-

Deployed weapons will redeploy after firing a deployed shot

This means your rifle un-scopes automatically after firing a shot. You might think this is counter-productive but it isn't. If you miss and stay scoped you'll die because the guy you shot at and missed now has a free shot at a stationary and defenseless target (you).

This is also important for everything else I suggest here. You can't move when scoped (other than at a "shoot me now please" crawl), so the longer you spend un-scoped the safer you'll be.

3. Move. I can't emphasise this enough, shooting a moving target is hard, especially with the Source engine's quirky hit-reg, so move, move, move. In particular your left - right strafe keys are your best buddies. Strafe left - right, scope - shoot (un-scope) strafe, repeat. Keep moving, stop and you die. Left - right, left - right, mix it up a bit if you're covering ground, but move move move, make yourself as hard to hit as possible.

4. Pre-scope. When strafing out from cover press your alt-weapon button just before you clear the wall / box whatever it is, this way you'll be scoped and ready to shoot as soon as you appear on your enemies screen. Even if he / she can aim faster than you, you're scoped, they're not, you win (maybe). Practise this, practise it a lot, and then practise more. Pre-scoping is the single biggest favour you can do yourself. Never, ever, scope and then creep out from cover, you're just giving away a cheap kill to the other guy.

5. Moving through maps. As you learn maps you'll learn the best routes, but as a rule of thumb stick to the edges. Move up a map on the left or right flank, that way you've only got to watch your front and one side, instead of front and both sides, and out-flanking the enemy is the surest way to get the drop on them.

6. Look with your eyes. Don't scope and scan the terrain ahead looking for the bad guys, cos you'll spot them just in time to see them take your head off. Scope ONLY when ready to shoot something. Look with your eyes, look for movement. See something out of the corner of your eye that you would've missed if you'd been scoped and that's one more potential kill (and one less potential death).

I'm sure I could add more, if anyone wants to add to this please do. As I say I don't pretend to be a good Sniper, I've played against enough decent Snipers to know I suck at it, these are just my suggestions as to how to not suck completely! :)

FooFighter
UKCS Sponsor

Player: m00!Kendle
STEAM_0:1:4583083

Re: Sniper Tips

Postby Maddox on Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:36 pm

fairly basic, but nonetheless important tips here. Good post :)

Maddox
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: Maddox
STEAM_0:1:5754809

Postby Primal ShadoW on Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:16 am

Practice flickshots (!!!) Practice flickshots + unscoping (don't wait for the game to unscope it, that takes too long. Quickswitch, or use the scopebutton to unscope as soon as you've taken a shot) + sprinting/jumping to cover, all combined. Shouldn't take more than a second. Also, when scoping, try to keep the middle of your screen as close to the target as possible, cus smaller corrections once you're scoped are easier to hit than bigger corrections. This would help you improve chances of getting nice noscopes as well. Also, take as many shots as you can, although the chance of hitting is smaller than yik's penis. It might just happen that you hit it after all. Oh, and use the map for assuming enemy player routes when someone on your team dies, or flag is capped. Stay in spots which doesn't have 2 million different directions to cover.

I disagree with what you said about (always) going flanks. Very dependant on the situation. Other than that it was alright, nice post :)

Primal ShadoW
Experienced Member

Player: mkkk
STEAM_0:1:6008644

Postby dread on Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:40 am

Personally I just hit the right mouse button as I hit the left, quick switch is BS and often used to hide things imo

If I didn't see another person quick switching tomorrow the day couldn't come quick enough

Good post thou, the point about pre scoping is really good for wanna be snipers.

Pri, Iam not gonna get into a deep and meaningful chat about the advantages\disadvantage of quick switch, so don't bother going there buddy :)
dread|UKCS| -- DoDs Executive Admin (Retired)

Feel free to send me Image a message, or add me to your steam freinds Image if you any questions or problems.
Don't forget that UKCS has an image uploader that's fast and free for all members!

DoDs Specific Information & Guides Rules & Ban Contact Information
dread
UKCS Admin
Exec. Admin (Retired)

Player: dread
STEAM_0:1:8708811

Postby FooFighter on Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:45 am

Since the Palermo update un-scoping is as fast as quick-switching (it wasn't before), otherwise I would've advised doing just that. I know a lot of people don't like quick-switching but getting out of scope as soon as possible is crucial and quick-switching was never an exploit IMO. Un-checking the "deploy" option I mentioned above achieves the same thing and as it's an option in the GUI not only is there no need to quick-switch nowadays there can be no debate about the legitimacy of un-scoping between shots either.

(if you think quick-switching is still faster it's a placebo effect I'm afraid, cos it just isn't)

As for going flanks, that's what I do when I don't know the map (sorry, should've made that clearer), it just gives you less of the map to worry about being shot from. Once you know a map you'll find better routes no doubt.

FooFighter
UKCS Sponsor

Postby paddyohale on Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:39 pm

I wish that games such as DOD:S (M1903 and Scoped K98) and CS:S (AWM and Scout) would insist that bolt-action Sniper rifles must have the fecking bolt cycled in order to fire off more than one round. :evil:

If I take a bolt action rifle and a pistol out with me, fire the rifle, sling it over my shoulder and take the pistol out, then holster the pistol and get the rifle back, there will still be an empty case in the chamber... Take the bloody hint, games developers!

Note: The only game I have encountered where it forces the cycling is Urban Terror, where you can't even switch from the SR8 (bolt-action Sniper) to another weapon until the bolt cycling is finished. Good times.

Pad.
paddyohale
UKCS Admin

Player: Παδδυ™
STEAM_0:1:8276332

Postby n0rd on Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:25 pm

I just try to quick scope and put all my finger power on the left button and use my über CS 1.6 AWP skills when I throwing my mouse 50cm away instant haha xD :lol:
Feel free to ask questions - n0rd|UKCS| Image / Image
n0rd
UKCS Sponsor

Player: n0rd
STEAM_0:0:12198010

Postby ¥TÉÑPÏÑ¥§¥ on Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:32 pm

hi matey's
:cheers: What i just do is, :twisted: aim towards the middle of the chest then shoot to kill simple as that :wink: i be back on the server next week after my holdiay be there or be square :scratch: take care cya all soonnn

¥TÉÑPÏÑ¥§¥
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: ¥§¥TÉÑPÏÑ¥§¥
STEAM_0:0:2763274

Postby PREDATORPANTS|UKCS| on Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:33 pm

Quick scopes and Quick shots work all the time for me :)

Nice tips tho ;)
Welcome to the Battlefield...

"dread|UKCS| <on DOD#3>: omg des is doming me "
"dread|UKCS| <on DOD#3>: Im not having this, someone spec him"
"TC|UKCS|: Well done Predator! Brilliant work! :D" ty Mr.President

PREDATORPANTS|UKCS|
Experienced Member
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: солдат001
STEAM_0:0:18109619

Postby FooFighter on Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:48 pm

paddyohale wrote:I wish that games such as DOD:S (M1903 and Scoped K98) and CS:S (AWM and Scout) would insist that bolt-action Sniper rifles must have the fecking bolt cycled in order to fire off more than one round. :evil:

In DOD:S the Sniper rifles do cycle the bolt, you just don't see the corresponding animation if you quick-switch. With the Palermo update they added a delay such that skipping the cycle animation doesn't gain you any time like it used to.

paddyohale wrote:Note: The only game I have encountered where it forces the cycling is Urban Terror, where you can't even switch from the SR8 (bolt-action Sniper) to another weapon until the bolt cycling is finished. Good times.

There's an exploit in UrT which enables you to reload the SR8 without waiting for it to cycle. ;)

FooFighter
UKCS Sponsor

Postby Primal ShadoW on Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:00 pm

dread wrote:Personally I just hit the right mouse button as I hit the left, quick switch is BS and often used to hide things imo

Hehe, like what if I may ask? (Sorry, I have to) :D

Also, I remember a discussion on zPgaming some time ago about this exact thing. They found that pressing the right mouse button to unscope just as you've fired is actually faster than quickswitching (as in you'll be able to take the next shot faster than if you would've quickswitched). So actually, learning to press the right mouse button right after firing would give you more of an advantage than quickswitching.

/end deep discussion about advantages/disadvantages of quickswitch :P

Primal ShadoW
Experienced Member

Player: mkkk
STEAM_0:1:6008644

Postby dread on Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:38 pm

Just goes to prove what i've been telling ppl for years, IAM l33t ! :D

Feel free to send me Image a message, or add me to your steam freinds Image if you any questions or problems.
Don't forget that UKCS has an image uploader that's fast and free for all members!

dread
UKCS Admin
Exec. Admin (Retired)

Postby paddyohale on Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:07 pm

dread wrote:Just goes to prove what people've been telling me for years, IAM d0dgy ! :D

Fix'd. :P

Pad.
paddyohale
UKCS Admin

Postby dread on Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:20 pm

yer yer, Mr Pad, whens em skool holidays finish again ? SOON thats when !!

dread
UKCS Admin
Exec. Admin (Retired)

Postby Tickle Me Emo on Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:53 pm

Great sniper tip is to glue a little crosshair piece of paper on your monitor!! lol

Just aim and shoot really, sniping on publics is very different to a 6v6 game. On publics you can camp and get a 100 : 0 score if you like, but camping on 6v6 will just end up with your team losing.

Tickle Me Emo
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: Pfc. Gaard [1st RB]
STEAM_0:0:15237876

Postby dread on Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:31 pm

u don't see a lot of camping on our sniper server esp on the smaller maps, most of the time it's the fastest finger that wins

dread
UKCS Admin
Exec. Admin (Retired)

Postby paddyohale on Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:00 pm

I know for a fact that I've seen our esteemed Exec Admin camping more than once on #3 ;).

As for myself, the aforementioned Exec has put stoopid little invisible walls up to stop players charging across with melee weapon equipped, so there goes the incentive for me to play on #3 :(.

I like a bit of Spadeing, does I :P.

Pad.
paddyohale
UKCS Admin

Postby dread on Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:55 pm

Sadly Pad we would treat a little spading party with fun, many don't, and has a terrible habit of really upsetting people and making em leave, hence the "stoopid" walls. I've left a few maps in there were if your very lucky you can get a spade in, but getting there with a full server is really an art in itself !

Regarding the camping, if Iam standing still iam AFK ! *cough*

Iam like one of em freaking ninjas me ! :sniper:

dread
UKCS Admin
Exec. Admin (Retired)

Postby Jonesie on Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:58 am

Ahhh! So then, you finally admit it! Just wait until I get my games working, dread! :twisted:
Jonesie
Home Member

Player: .:RiSK:. VaST
STEAM_0:1:43125715

Postby PREDATORPANTS|UKCS| on Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:41 pm

Ahhh! So then, you finally admit it! Just wait until I get my games working, dread!

Becuase then he can Constantly Miss every shot he puts @ you :cheers: played.
Welcome to the Battlefield...

"dread|UKCS| <on DOD#3>: omg des is doming me "
"dread|UKCS| <on DOD#3>: Im not having this, someone spec him"
"TC|UKCS|: Well done Predator! Brilliant work! :D" ty Mr.President

PREDATORPANTS|UKCS|
Experienced Member
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: солдат001
STEAM_0:0:18109619

Next

Return to UKCS : Day Of Defeat Chat