UKCS Day of Defeat Source GUN GAME ARENA - FF Off this week!

Forum discussion on Day of Defeat game

Re: UKCS Day of Defeat Source GUN GAME ARENA

Postby willy on Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:38 am

Picky Bugger wrote:It's part of the game, GG is a bit of fun so who cares if you get TK'd just punish them or don't.

Nope GG needs FF off as it reduces admin needs and also it increases fun value..

If u have a constant tk'er it spoils the game for the most which for FF off it does not matter
Also FF off means u can spray away and kill.. With the cqb maps spray and pray is a part of the game and u dint need tk's to drag u back :)
willy

Player: Flaccid Willy
STEAM_0:1:9697295

Postby SaintStrongbow on Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:33 pm

Have to agree with Willy, GG is not FF friendly.
Sometimes you have to stand in the shadows; to see the light.

SaintStrongbow
Executive Admin

Player: SaintStrongbow
STEAM_0:1:19879963

Postby Picky Bugger on Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:42 pm

willy wrote:
Nope GG needs FF off as it reduces admin needs and also it increases fun value..

If u have a constant tk'er it spoils the game for the most which for FF off it does not matter

Subjective and we don't have problems with constant tk'ing.

willy wrote:Also FF off means u can spray away and kill.. With the cqb maps spray and pray is a part of the game and u dint need tk's to drag u back :)

Utter nonsense, if you're looking for a sterile game then yes FF should be off.
Picky Bugger
Experienced Member

Player: Plok!
STEAM_0:0:6077179

Postby dread on Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:34 pm

I think once the server gets quite busy it probably needs turning off, but it's very subjective as picky says..

I've not seen any major problem with repeated Tk's but admins have the powers to turn it on and off at will, so I would expect them to step in and turn it off if things got out of hand, and neutralize a situation
dread|UKCS| -- DoDs Executive Admin (Retired)

Feel free to send me Image a message, or add me to your steam freinds Image if you any questions or problems.
Don't forget that UKCS has an image uploader that's fast and free for all members!

DoDs Specific Information & Guides Rules & Ban Contact Information
dread
UKCS Admin
Exec. Admin (Retired)

Player: dread
STEAM_0:1:8708811

Postby SaintStrongbow on Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:08 pm

Had at least 3 people in half an hour who were just TKing earlier...

SaintStrongbow
Executive Admin

Postby SergioA on Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:24 pm

It doesn't happen very often (TK'ers) and people can always call an admin to deal with the offender. I suggest we leave FF On unless we have clear majority against it. GG is all about fun and FF On adds to it, it would be a mistake to disable it imo.
SergioA
Home Member

Player: Sergio
STEAM_0:1:11308751

Postby dread on Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:41 am

I think we should run some votes whilst the server is busy and see what the players would prefer.

Feel free to send me Image a message, or add me to your steam freinds Image if you any questions or problems.
Don't forget that UKCS has an image uploader that's fast and free for all members!

dread
UKCS Admin
Exec. Admin (Retired)

Postby m0lineux on Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:26 am

I think that would be a good idea, it does get quite annoying and can become a little irritable at times.
m0lineux
UKCS Admin

Player: Tickler
STEAM_0:1:2177441

Postby Picky Bugger on Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:36 pm

I don't really have anything else to add to this discussion except the word pathetic.
Picky Bugger
Experienced Member

Postby dread on Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:57 pm

well my 3 votes so far are in favour of FF on - low numbers in game during the vote..

dread
UKCS Admin
Exec. Admin (Retired)

Postby SaintStrongbow on Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:27 pm

dread wrote:well my 3 votes so far are in favour of FF on - low numbers in game during the vote..

Was it you, picky and sergio on at the time? :P

Would you be in favour of turning FF on for the other servers?

All FF on does is make our need for more admins greater and make it more difficult to fill the server consistently without seeders. The big list of options when being tk'd doesn't help either.

SaintStrongbow
Executive Admin

Postby Picky Bugger on Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:30 pm

It's GG, it's a bit of fun. Stop taking it so super serious.

The server being empty has nothing to do with FF and really the big list of options? where you can just mash the keyboard or even god forbid read it once and know what each number corresponds with. Clutching at straws aren't we. We have almost no trouble with the GG server admin wise.
Picky Bugger
Experienced Member

Postby SaintStrongbow on Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:47 pm

Picky Bugger wrote:It's GG, it's a bit of fun. Stop taking it so super serious.

The server being empty has nothing to do with FF and really the big list of options? where you can just mash the keyboard or even god forbid read it once and know what each number corresponds with. Clutching at straws aren't we. We have almost no trouble with the GG server admin wise.

Because there's never anyone on it! :roll:

How does FF not impact server numbers? All it takes is one TKer to log and spray his whole team down repeatedly to get people raging and quiting, doesn't exactly entice them to come back either...even with admins on. Unless those matrix-esque powers of bullet time banning are in place now.

The big list of options means people are less likely to forgive accidental tks, just to try out all the options if nothing else. In GG accidental tks happen a lot with FF on, not being forgiven for them is a big gripe which again means people will go elsewhere.

Sorry if me seriously trying to improve the GG server is ruining your fun.

SaintStrongbow
Executive Admin

Postby Picky Bugger on Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:59 pm

SaintStrongbow wrote:How does FF not impact server numbers? All it takes is one TKer to log and spray his whole team down repeatedly to get people raging and quiting, doesn't exactly entice them to come back either...even with admins on. Unless those matrix-esque powers of bullet time banning are in place now.

Because numerous high ranking GG servers that are constantly full have FF on.

SaintStrongbow wrote:The big list of options means people are less likely to forgive accidental tks, just to try out all the options if nothing else. In GG accidental tks happen a lot with FF on, not being forgiven for them is a big gripe which again means people will go elsewhere.

Are you that fussed about winning? Who cares if you don't get forgiven, it means literally nothing as you spawn in two or three seconds. I see absolutely no evidence of people leaving because of FF.

With the GG server we were trying to attract a different sort of player (lets say not the whiny crybaby type) and generally it works. People don't complain about it because they don't have a problem with it, I can't see what the point of forcing it is or how FF off would improve the server in anyway.
Picky Bugger
Experienced Member

Postby Decoy^ on Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:21 pm

I would personally like to see FF on as much as possible. It does make GG a bit more interesting. With FF on, people can't just fire blindly at shadows and movement, and have to be especially careful when ramboing MGs, using the rocket weapons and throwing nades. It adds to the "feel" of GG, and can give good opportunities to catch up to the top players if they slip up and TK with a nade or such.

I haven't seen anyone complaining or abusing FF yet, except one single time. This player was hell bent on causing disruption, and TKs was just one tool in the arsenal. In such cases turning FF off, at least temporarily, has been suggested to me as a solution. But that isn't really fair if the majority prefers to keep it on.

Can't the GG server just obey player majority like the other ones, going by what the current players has set as their preference under "settings"?
In Soviet Russia, decoy shoots you!

Decoy^

Player: Timberwolf
STEAM_0:0:1496730

Postby dread on Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:24 pm

dread wrote:well my 3 votes so far are in favour of FF on - low numbers in game during the vote..

More vote's when the server is more busy 10+ players and the results become more mixed.

Decoy, yes it could be set up like the other server, i.e. following the preference of the players, via "settings" but that would pretty much means it's turned off on a permanent basis as on the other servers.

I agree with you I prefer the FF on, I must admit when the server is very busy, it can get a little silly, you do accidental kill the odd person.

I've no problems, with the admin turning FF off or on as they seem fit at the time, turning FF can very quickly stop players being ass's and Tk'ing

I will keep doing my votes

dread
UKCS Admin
Exec. Admin (Retired)

Postby Picky Bugger on Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:48 pm

dread wrote:I agree with you I prefer the FF on, I must admit when the server is very busy, it can get a little silly, you do accidental kill the odd person.

I don't see how or why this is a problem.
Picky Bugger
Experienced Member

Postby dread on Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:40 pm

I don't see it as a problem, but others clearly do, hence we wouldn't be chating about it :)

dread
UKCS Admin
Exec. Admin (Retired)

Postby Picky Bugger on Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:41 pm

:cry:
Picky Bugger
Experienced Member

Postby SergioA on Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:59 am

Some people want FF off, longer spawn protection, no spawn killing, etc... They seem to forget this is the essence of Gungame, having to deal with all these difficulties.

Yes, you get killed by your team mates every now and then, but you can choose to give them a light-hearted punishment (or not) and move on. The odd troll who is team killing everyone will be kicked, no doubt about it.

Yes, some maps are bad for spawn killing, but this is why you have spawn protection for it gives you a few seconds to take care of the enemy before he takes care of you. If we remove all these elements from GG it's no longer GG, it's a boring, noobie, sterile shootout without any fun.

Like Picky said the successful Gungame servers have FF On, and some have even shorter spawn protection times. It's madness, it's irritating but it's fun. I also agree with Decoy when he says FF off will contribute to people ramboing MGs, Rockets and nades without any criteria cause they won't have anything to lose.
SergioA
Home Member

Player: Sergio
STEAM_0:1:11308751

PreviousNext

Return to UKCS : Day Of Defeat Chat