Map construction tools?

DoD Maps Discussion

Map construction tools?

Postby Insipid on Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:54 pm

Hey there, I've got a few ideas for maps for DODS and I was hoping to try and make a couple of basic maps. I've never made a map before but I've got a fair bit of experience with 3D studio max so I should be able to pick up the basics fairly quickly. Can anyone tell me if there's an official construction set or any good mapmaking tools out there? I'm sure there are some pretty good map makers on this board so any advice for someone just starting out would be very welcome. Cheers.

Insipid
Home Member

Postby Dr Caligineus on Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:05 pm

Well, the Valve tool is Hammer. Look in Steam for the SDK stuff. It's not very nice to use though.

You may also want to take a look at Gmax.
Dr Caligineus
Experienced Member

Player: Dr Caligineus
STEAM_0:0:6046962

Postby Insipid on Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:17 pm

Ok, thanks. Downloading the SDK stuff now, will try hammer first and if it's a bit too unweildy like you say I'll have a go with Gmax. Also does anyone know how easy it is to import old DOD maps and work them up into source ones?

Insipid
Home Member

Postby Volkan^ on Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:43 am

i dont know, but shouldnt be too hard i guess.
you might be able to import the "skeleton" of the maps.
but then texture and program everything else.
1337 Posts Reached On 6th of September 2007
Volkan^

Player: Rick Grimes
STEAM_0:0:13219288

Postby Sion on Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:45 pm

It will be harder than you think. The old DoD does not use the source engine whereas SDK does. So i'm thinking that you would have to do a full remodel at the map. If you havent done anything on maps before Ill pm you with a website which will get you started. I wouldnt start on full scale maps yet.

I started out on Half life 2 maps and built my way up to doing scripted sequences. I can now do day of defeat maps okay but I would warn you that it is very time consuming and you are best to take your time on the maps as rushing just ruins maps and allows leaks.

Also if you need any advice add my email and Ill help you out with tutorials and things.

Good Luck
Sion
UKCS Sponsor

Player: ConLAD
STEAM_0:0:9449778

Postby Insipid on Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:45 pm

Cheers for the advice everyone. To be honest I played about with hammer for about 3 or 4 hours and got a tad overwhelmed. I think my ideas are way out of the scope of my abilitys! :? Managed to get an ultra basic map compiled, flat ground and a few models with lighting and textures. Looked absolute guff but I'm getting the basics.

One important thing though, I didn't really enjoy doing it. It'll be weeks if not months before I'm competent enough at this to make something that I want to make and I'm doubtful I'll remain interested for that long. Think I'll still plod away at it for a while (I'm doing a Computing Science degree so it's prob gd experience anyway) but I'm pretty sure I won't make a functioning DODS map for a long time!

Unless... I just make a big box and spawn both teams right in the middle, that'd be fun for a while :D

Insipid
Home Member

Postby gandy on Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:50 pm

i post on here http://www.iwannamap.com

its a great site with some skilled mappers and modelers on there :)

they also have a tuturial section ( most of them are for css but they are easy to adapt for dod )
gandy
VP (Retired)

Player: gandy
STEAM_0:1:5083494

Postby Sion on Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:45 pm

Yeah you should enjoy mapping if you want to carry it on, I always like to think of it as the way I make a map is how I want it to look sort of thing. Its what i enjoy about it. Take a while in doing it, at first I thought it was too time consuming and couldnt be bothered with it. after a week or so I was onto making slightly detailed maps. Now I can do full scale maps but i still get stuck on some parts. I use www.interlopers.net I think its .net just have a fiddle :P.

It also has an error page on there where any errors reported when you compile something it will tell you what the problem was and how it occured.

Have fun mapping away =]

Again any problems feel free to add me =]
Sion
UKCS Sponsor

Player: ConLAD
STEAM_0:0:9449778

Return to Maps : DoD