Displacements. Oh how I hate thee

Please use this area if you are creating or discussing the development of your own maps. Please keep one thread per map under development and put [WIP] at the beginning. [RELEASE] If you are posting about a map you have released.

Displacements. Oh how I hate thee

Postby RK9 Destiny Pulse on Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:15 pm

I'll start right now by saying I despise displacements. They are in my opinion, the single most infuriating part of Source. So I need help. Unsurprisingly.

I'm developing a mod right now and large sections of it require displacements, especially the first couple of maps. The problem is I can never make them look "natural", nor can I get them to sew properly. I should mention I use noise almost exclusively.

I need tips on how to use them :(

RK9 Destiny Pulse

Player: Estranged
STEAM_0:1:23557465

Re: Displacements. Oh how I hate thee

Postby UK_sniper on Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:48 pm

when I used to map, i used to use areas of 512x512 or 1024x1024 set at level 4 so u'd get a pretty large number of triangles to tweek, then set a high radius of effect and a low level of deflection for the displacements. then slowly raise/lower the ground in a roughly circular motion. I found that using this technique gave a more realistic effect for ground and rock faces than using small radius' of effect.

another thing is try and get pictures of something you want to replicate. often helps no end to have something to reference against.

o and small subtle changes always look more realistic than big ones, nature is more often smooth and flowing. rarely jagged and pointy cones ;)

kev
Long Time UKCS Supporter, Retired Mod & Snr Admin
UK_sniper
UKCS Life Sponsor
Admin (Retired)

Player: UK_Sniper
STEAM_0:0:6007153

Re: Displacements. Oh how I hate thee

Postby alias on Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:55 pm

Displacements are the tool that require alot of practice but are worth learning.

This is an old map of me that contains some progress on displacements but isnt finished (and NEVER will hence i gave it).
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2070422/cp_step_new_a3c.vmf

Take a look in this on how you should make them. Hint: block it out before detailing it. By blocking it out and making it a displacement to ensure they work for sewing it will be easier to test it early. When they have proven to work you detail them and when they failed you dont and simply remake it without spending alot of work.

Its mostly practice and make sure to look to alot of tutorials.

But most important is to learn to vertex manipulate them into a way they allways match up on the edges for sewing. If you can sew them detailing is easier.

And make sure to read this: http://forums.tf2maps.net/showthread.php?t=798
Now on the workshop!
Image Image

Currently working on: MvM Intercept (2nd place on phase 1 (layout stage) of the TF2Maps contest)
Add me to steamfriends (click here)
alias
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: Alias
STEAM_0:0:2502992

Return to Map Making, Your Releases & Help