pl_range development thread

Please use this area if you are creating or discussing the development of your own maps. Please keep one thread per map under development and put [WIP] at the beginning. [RELEASE] If you are posting about a map you have released.

pl_range development thread

Postby Garner on Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:10 am

I have reignited my desire to continue my map i started 2 months ago, so ill create a little blog / update thread for progress.

I have started making my map, pl_range, and will use this blog as a means of keeping a log on map progression.
If you have any ideas, please let me know, substantial ideas will be credited on final release.

Map: pl_range
Author: Stephen Garner
Current build: pre-alpha

Style: Single stage payload
Checkpoints: 4 (3 checkpoints + 1 finale explosion)
Environment: Alpine / spring
Progressive: Yes, forward spawns will be implemented
Dynamic: Yes, routes will open up / doors will open in relation to specific checkpoints being passed

Release Notes:
Pre-alpha: Planning and first build

Love x
Currently mapping: pl_range
Version: pre_alpha / design stage

Garner
UKCS Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Garneя:_
STEAM_0:0:13764377

Re: pl_range development thread

Postby alias on Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:30 pm

Screens! most important. I dont care if its hammer ones and looking in dev. (then again, if you just started it then i dont think there is alot of show).

A few suggestions:
Environment: Alpine / spring

Nice, setting it this early already gives the downside of not entirely planning on gameplay. In this stage it should be more like:
Outside (dustbowl, goldrush/badwater, badlands/2fort/steel like). This basicly says that you make an open/very open/narrow outside map. This features gameplay above the actual looks. Notice that with the badwater outside setup you can still pick between egypt, alpine and desert. The space you got for outside detailing in the end should decide the looks. If its very narrow desert can be very hard but if you got lots of room i recommend desert. Desert maps have a far better distant look.
Further i already would say that alpine isnt a good choise. Its the easiest layout to look good and therefor overused. And many players (im sure) would prefer the classic look by now. Especialy if you are able to give a retro look like dustbowl/goldrush/2fort or steel.
Progressive: Yes, forward spawns will be implemented

For a 4 capture payload map this is already a must. no need to mention it. And note pl_swiftwater... where it has a forward spawn it also uses shortcuts. You can later decide which is best. (and most recommended would be having a forward spawn for each cp in the map but locked off. Then later decide which are open. This will prevent you from having to do weird stuff to get a forward spawn in. And best of all, you can check the smoothness from that spawn into the map.
Progressive: Yes, forward spawns will be implemented - yes, 2 comments on this depending on how you implement it
Dynamic: Yes, routes will open up / doors will open in relation to specific checkpoints being passed

Again something badwater had. This isnt allways a must, as example you can look at repository. That map only has 1 door and that simply opens when the cart has to pass. thats all... and the reason for that is that snipers probably were overpowered earlier and there had to be a wall to stop that.
ONLY add such routes if its required. in badwater it was easy to take the wrong route. and it spreaded out players too fast. Thats the only reason why its needed. If you can do without that you actualy do better than they did.
Now on the workshop!
Image Image

Currently working on: MvM Intercept (2nd place on phase 1 (layout stage) of the TF2Maps contest)
Add me to steamfriends (click here)
alias
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: Alias
STEAM_0:0:2502992

Re: pl_range development thread

Postby Garner on Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:30 am

Just seen this Alias :)
I have you on steam now, and no doubt i'll be liasing with you for help / collaboration <3

Hopefully i have the time to sit down and make something. Thank you for the feed back x
Currently mapping: pl_range
Version: pre_alpha / design stage

Garner
UKCS Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Garneя:_
STEAM_0:0:13764377

Return to Map Making, Your Releases & Help