FPS Design

Please use this area if you are creating or discussing the development of your own maps. Please keep one thread per map under development and put [WIP] at the beginning. [RELEASE] If you are posting about a map you have released.

FPS Design

Postby um!!! on Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:57 pm

This is completely true isn't it??? I found this on a forum i go on lol
ImageImage
um!!!
UKCS Sponsor

Player: Um!!!! [UKCS]
STEAM_0:1:10367893

Re: FPS Design

Postby UK_sniper on Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:51 pm

ie they dont make levels like in doom any more but the requirements to run a game are so massive now that its almost impossible to create games like that. sandbox games like gta/just cause excluded of course :P
Long Time UKCS Supporter, Retired Mod & Snr Admin
UK_sniper
UKCS Life Sponsor
Admin (Retired)

Player: UK_Sniper
STEAM_0:0:6007153

Postby um!!! on Sat Jan 01, 2011 4:02 am

Doom was wicked, i miss the old times! :)
ImageImage
um!!!
UKCS Sponsor

Player: Um!!!! [UKCS]
STEAM_0:1:10367893

Postby Cotillion on Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:30 am

And with other wad files it was sick! ;).

The map design's in doom were massive.
your personal ignis fatuus
Cotillion
UKCS Admin
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Cotillion \m/
STEAM_0:1:32290831

Postby alias on Sat Jan 01, 2011 3:19 pm

UK_sniper wrote:but the requirements to run a game are so massive now that its almost impossible to create games like that.

Its not impossible. But labyrinths in games are quite boring. Old games didnt realy have a choise as a cutscene wasnt an option for them at that time. So to increase the interest they just add more routes so you can choose which way to go and to allow you to replay the same where you suddenly find other stuff.

Games get released soo fast that often replaying isnt an option so games arent designed for that, they just focus on playing it once and a multiplayer mode that is enough to add fun for some more months. This is also why there is a new CoD each year. In the end its however bad game design and the easy way to get money.

Its bad buy lazyness does get rewarded as marketing is the only thing that counts.
Now on the workshop!
Image Image

Currently working on: MvM Intercept (2nd place on phase 1 (layout stage) of the TF2Maps contest)
Add me to steamfriends (click here)
alias
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: Alias
STEAM_0:0:2502992

Postby Kaelan002 on Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:55 pm

i agree, i miss the old games where there was no direct route and even if you replayed it over and over again you always found something new. (i just wish doom had a minimap so i didnt get lost :) )
A good example is star wars knights of the old republic, where there were thousands of ways to play the game and it had really complicated maps and plots.
There are 10 types of people in the world: those that know binary, those that don't, and those that didn't expect this joke to be in base 3.

[video =373,150]http://a.pomf.se/ixefrf.webm[/video] Now shhhh Kaelan... OOOOOOH
pomf.se is ded. :'(
Kaelan002
UKCS Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Kae
STEAM_0:1:29878923

Return to Map Making, Your Releases & Help