spawn at random player_spawn?

Please use this area if you are creating or discussing the development of your own maps. Please keep one thread per map under development and put [WIP] at the beginning. [RELEASE] If you are posting about a map you have released.

spawn at random player_spawn?

Postby Kaelan002 on Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:11 pm

hi guys

how do i make my map so that you spawn at a random one of thr player_spawns each time instead of the first available one?
There are 10 types of people in the world: those that know binary, those that don't, and those that didn't expect this joke to be in base 3.

[video =373,150]http://a.pomf.se/ixefrf.webm[/video] Now shhhh Kaelan... OOOOOOH
pomf.se is ded. :'(
Kaelan002
UKCS Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Kae
STEAM_0:1:29878923

Re: spawn at random player_spawn?

Postby alias on Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:47 pm

Well, its default that you spawn at the same place. This is allways the case in tf2. Each spawn place is used once and then you go back to the first. However, during testing this is more clear as you are allways the first one. In a 32 player server there are 15 other players that could spawn there. So in runtime its actualy 'random' where you spawn.

If the spawn position however matters for testing reasons i would recommend just putting on 1 spawn in each area you want to test (by putting the other respawns in a visgroup and hiding that one) and in the final compile put them back on.
Now on the workshop!
Image Image

Currently working on: MvM Intercept (2nd place on phase 1 (layout stage) of the TF2Maps contest)
Add me to steamfriends (click here)
alias
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: Alias
STEAM_0:0:2502992

Postby Kaelan002 on Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:56 pm

alias wrote:Well, its default that you spawn at the same place. This is allways the case in tf2. Each spawn place is used once and then you go back to the first. However, during testing this is more clear as you are allways the first one. In a 32 player server there are 15 other players that could spawn there. So in runtime its actualy 'random' where you spawn.

If the spawn position however matters for testing reasons i would recommend just putting on 1 spawn in each area you want to test (by putting the other respawns in a visgroup and hiding that one) and in the final compile put them back on.

hmm, thanks but thats not really a solution, are you saying its impossible? :scratch:

what im trying to do here is have a map where there are lots of open spawn places that can be used by either team so that you never know where you will end up making it more important to survive and not just suicide rush
There are 10 types of people in the world: those that know binary, those that don't, and those that didn't expect this joke to be in base 3.

[video =373,150]http://a.pomf.se/ixefrf.webm[/video] Now shhhh Kaelan... OOOOOOH
pomf.se is ded. :'(
Kaelan002
UKCS Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Kae
STEAM_0:1:29878923

Postby UK_sniper on Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:37 pm

it will be tough to test on your own. i imagine if you used bots with deathmatch style you would get a good idea how it would work.

make sure the team spawn is set to any so blu and red can spawn and you'll be set :)

kev
Long Time UKCS Supporter, Retired Mod & Snr Admin
UK_sniper
UKCS Life Sponsor
Admin (Retired)

Player: UK_Sniper
STEAM_0:0:6007153

Return to Map Making, Your Releases & Help