pt_basement (pyrotennis)

Please use this area if you are creating or discussing the development of your own maps. Please keep one thread per map under development and put [WIP] at the beginning. [RELEASE] If you are posting about a map you have released.

pt_basement (pyrotennis)

Postby Kaelan002 on Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:48 pm

hi guys
this is a map for playing pyrotennis, its very simple map as its my first but i thought i might as well post it as i guess its quite usefull
any suggestions or tips are welcome and if ive made any mistakes please tell me.

kaelan

download [link]
Last edited by Kaelan002 on Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There are 10 types of people in the world: those that know binary, those that don't, and those that didn't expect this joke to be in base 3.

[video =373,150]http://a.pomf.se/ixefrf.webm[/video] Now shhhh Kaelan... OOOOOOH
pomf.se is ded. :'(
Kaelan002
UKCS Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Kae
STEAM_0:1:29878923

Re: pt_basement (pyrotennis)

Postby Frying Dutchman on Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:07 pm

The Lighting looks a bit off judging from that screenshot.
Can you post some more screenshots?
Frying Dutchman
UKCS Admin

Player: Frying Dutchman
STEAM_0:1:23273517

Postby Kaelan002 on Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:29 pm

ok sure
There are 10 types of people in the world: those that know binary, those that don't, and those that didn't expect this joke to be in base 3.

[video =373,150]http://a.pomf.se/ixefrf.webm[/video] Now shhhh Kaelan... OOOOOOH
Kaelan002
UKCS Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Postby Kaelan002 on Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:36 pm

posted some more screenies

Kaelan002
UKCS Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Postby Kaelan002 on Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:40 pm

ps each light strip contains a light entity and at either end there is a row of spots in the team colour

Kaelan002
UKCS Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Postby alias on Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:18 pm

What type of light and what intensity. It realy looks like its fullbright to me. Usualy a normal light with a value between 200 and 600 works and a light_spot with a value of 1000-1800 looks realistic. And when using those values you often need less lights to get the map fully lit. And then it looks better also.

Then a 2nd thing. with less lights particle light effects or sprites might improve the effect even more (as then the light source actualy looks like its giving light).
Now on the workshop!
Image Image

Currently working on: MvM Intercept (2nd place on phase 1 (layout stage) of the TF2Maps contest)
Add me to steamfriends (click here)
alias
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: Alias
STEAM_0:0:2502992

Postby Kaelan002 on Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:53 pm

the flourescent tubes are light_ and the row of team coloured lights at either end are light_spots.

the brightness is the default, i only changed the radius but er, how do you change the brightness :) i can only seem to change the colour :scratch:

im assuming these -> particle light effects or sprites are entities? :?

and is there a clever way to sort of bind the model (in this case the flourescent tubes) into a light_ entity so i shines from it , i just placed the entity inside?

thanks kaelan

Kaelan002
UKCS Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Postby alias on Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:11 pm

kaelan002 wrote:the brightness is the default, i only changed the radius but er, how do you change the brightness :) i can only seem to change the colour :scratch

The color has 4 values. Red, Green, Blue, Alpha where alpha is the brightness. a yellow light for example should give somethign like: '220 210 130 800'.

Also note that default values arent allways the best and that too many lights might make them cancel each others effect out due to too many lights. Especialy with diffirent types of light the error can show up. And when it does if im right it goes fullbright. It however should mention that in the compile. (if you dont see it in the compile then it didnt happen)
and is there a clever way to sort of bind the model (in this case the flourescent tubes) into a light_ entity so i shines from it , i just placed the entity inside?

No, these effects change depending on the angle (particles) or objects blocking it (sprites). If you place a sprite inside a light bulb it never shows up. Just place it 4 units below the light and no one will even notice you did (unless its a mapper or someone with knowledge of mapping).
Now on the workshop!
Image Image

Currently working on: MvM Intercept (2nd place on phase 1 (layout stage) of the TF2Maps contest)
Add me to steamfriends (click here)
alias
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: Alias
STEAM_0:0:2502992

Postby Kaelan002 on Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:21 pm

ok thanks for your help guys

Kaelan002
UKCS Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Return to Map Making, Your Releases & Help