The Homewrecker Discussion

Forum for discussion on the UKCS:TF2 Servers

Re: The Homewrecker Discussion

Postby Rico on Sat May 08, 2010 5:42 pm

Really, the Homewrecker should take fewer hits than a wrench to knock a sapper off. After all, a wrench is relatively small. The Homewrecker is a gert huge sledgehammer.
RIP [SS]Mantis, sadly departed July 3rd 2014

[TJD]Rico -- AKA: Agent57, LLAMATRON, CobaltBomb, Judge Rico
UK's Sexiest Gamer 2003 (runner up; I was robbed!)
"No plan, sir. No sleeves!"
Rico
Senior Admin
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Rico \o/
STEAM_0:0:311773

Postby Haggus McGee on Sat May 08, 2010 10:20 pm

What annoys me is the need for the axetinguisher ever since the charging targe. I love pyro otherwise, I just find the lack of firepower (pun not intended, but unavoidable) frustrating, and a larger mag auto-shotgun would solve everything.
Haggus McGee
Home Member

Player: Haggus McGee
STEAM_0:1:17966189

Postby Inevitable on Sat May 08, 2010 11:08 pm

Haggus McGee wrote:What annoys me is the need for the axetinguisher ever since the charging targe. I love pyro otherwise, I just find the lack of firepower (pun not intended, but unavoidable) frustrating, and a larger mag auto-shotgun would solve everything.

You NEVER need the Axtinguisher.

There is no excuse to lower yourself that far.

Targe Demos are much rarer than at the start, and actually not that hard to counter as a Pyro, contrary to what I have said before. The airblast is the main problem for it. You can't even get close to a Pyro doing that. The Backburner lacks that advantage but does enough damage anyway. The Pyro can quite easily evade a swinging sword while flaming away, and if it can't then it'd be no different to any other class. Generally I just use grenades if I'm going up against a Pyro and my initial charge fails.
Image Image
Inevitable
UKCS Sponsor

Player: Inevitable
STEAM_0:1:16754718

Postby Laustin on Sun May 09, 2010 7:04 pm

I find playing pyro is all about the axtinguisher, - light, blast, axe him a question - why the rage about it Inevitable?

New homewrecker buff looks like a bonus for dedicated spycheckers. The sledgehammer looks so cool awesome.
Image Image
Laustin
UKCS Sponsor

Player: Laustin Spayce
STEAM_0:1:16379995

Postby Inevitable on Sun May 09, 2010 9:31 pm

Laustin wrote:I find playing pyro is all about the axtinguisher, - light, blast, axe him a question - why the rage about it Inevitable?[/i]

You've pretty much just made part of my point right there: "pyro is all about the axtinguisher". Unlocks are supposed to be sidegrades. You don't need the axtinguisher to be a good Pyro. My ability might be sporadic (usually low), but I've hit the top of the scoreboard enough as a Pyro to know that's true.

Besides, though I don't do it as often as I once did, I am still a firm believer in the preeminence of melee. The Axtinguisher goes against everything that is Good and Right with melee. Some well-meaning young heavy wanders up, ready for a bout of honourable fistycuffs and what do you do? You set the poor man on fire and then one-hit him with your crazy axetinguisher. Dispicable. Worse, you can't do anything else, because the Axtinguisher is so weak without fire that you may as well chuck feathers at him instead.

Don't get me wrong, it's not the only example of a un-gentlemanly melee weapon. There's the KGBs, they come in a close second on my rageometer. The Equaliser also annoys me because it's just so damn broken when compared with the shovel (I'm pretty sure no one will bother denying this one). In fact, most unlockable melee weapons get on my nerves because they're superior to their original counterparts. The only exceptions being the Eyelander and Sandman (both likely due to the health penalty).
Image Image
Inevitable
UKCS Sponsor

Player: Inevitable
STEAM_0:1:16754718

Postby MittinsKittens on Mon May 10, 2010 2:14 pm

Inevitable wrote:Some well-meaning young heavy wanders up, ready for a bout of honourable fistycuffs and what do you do? You set the poor man on fire and then one-hit him with your crazy axetinguisher. Dispicable.

Dude, Its a game, There is no "honour" in it, A kill is a kill, If I saw that heavy as a pyro, I would flame him to death...Or at least Puff axe him. If I saw him as an Heavy, That mini-gun would be spun up so fast that I'd be glad that the Heavy got a Spin-up buff, and if want to rage because I have no Honour? I wouldn't care because that heavy got me another point :D
The fact you think people should be made to feel bad because they didn't get their melee out is kinda silly :/

Rico wrote:"Really..."*Snip*

Really, the soldier Rockets should kill in one hit, and basically everything else in this game but realism doesn't have a place here, so yeahhh :), I don't think the homewrecker should remove stuff faster then a Wrench :/
MittinsKittens
UKCS Sponsor
Official Pie Watcher
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: MittinsKittens ♥
STEAM_0:0:16655903

Postby Haggus McGee on Tue May 11, 2010 3:59 pm

FireWolf wrote: [On melée fights] Dude, Its a game, There is no "honour" in it, A kill is a kill

One of the things about TF2 is that you can signal when you wan't a melée fight with the weapon. Unless you have low health or are going to get done in by the other guy's mates, you really should take out your axe and go for it. Yes, it is a game! So a kill is not actually important, having fun is. Because that is what melée is - a bit of fun. And people who don't respect that need to take a look at why they are playing on a public server.
Haggus McGee
Home Member

Postby Gh0st.IRE on Tue May 11, 2010 4:01 pm

^ Some people dont find melee fun - They prefare getting the kills and to them that is fun - so that basically crosses out your arguement - Everyone has a different opinion of fun.
Ex-TF2 Admin. Forum Moderator. Add me on Steam or PM me here!
Heresy MMO Guild Member.
Gh0st.IRE

Player: Rear Naked Bugs
STEAM_0:0:12137987

Postby paddyohale on Tue May 11, 2010 4:58 pm

Gh0st.IRE wrote:^ Some people dont find melee fun - They prefare getting the kills and to them that is fun - so that basically crosses out your arguement - Everyone has a different opinion of fun.

Killing Xerxes or Unspec is serious business. Everything else on TF2 is FUN - well, apart from getting flame-axe'd by Sam all the time :(.

Pad.
paddyohale
UKCS Admin

Player: Παδδυ™
STEAM_0:1:8276332

Postby MittinsKittens on Tue May 11, 2010 7:33 pm

Gh0st.IRE wrote:^ Some people dont find melee fun - They prefare getting the kills and to them that is fun - so that basically crosses out your arguement - Everyone has a different opinion of fun.

Gh0st has got me in one. If I'm meleeing, then I'm getting desprete and I'm hoping that I can get lucky and somehow kill them with it, and if I do, I will use the breather to try and gtfo so I'm safe again :3
Although, I must admit, Punching a Sentry is fun...but not as fun as getting an Crocket and killing like 3+ people with it :D
So Yeah...Melee is not that fun. In fact, I hate Melee for server starting since it gets boring fast :/
Last edited by MittinsKittens on Wed May 12, 2010 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MittinsKittens
UKCS Sponsor
Official Pie Watcher
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: MittinsKittens ♥
STEAM_0:0:16655903

Postby Haggus McGee on Tue May 11, 2010 7:55 pm

Not melee exclusively, but it's just the only form of a 'duel' you will get between classes, if you see where I'm coming from. It's just nice to face off once in a while hand to hand. And how can that not be fun. It's just about the only way of dying/losing that you won't be annoyed about for all you serious frag hungerers. And most of the time, there will be a friendly chat message along the lines of 'OMG LOL CRIT PUNCH'.

Edit: I admit that particular example is kind of corny :P
Haggus McGee
Home Member

Postby Gh0st.IRE on Wed May 12, 2010 12:36 pm

If you want 1v1 then play Arena mode on #4 - You get plenty of duels in that.
Heresy MMO Guild Member.
Gh0st.IRE

Postby Haggus McGee on Wed May 12, 2010 4:21 pm

I'm talking about inside of a normal public server, there comes some rare occasions of one on one. I don't want one on one all the time, but when it does occur, and someone starts by taking out a melée weapon, it's rude not to follow.
Haggus McGee
Home Member

Postby Gh0st.IRE on Wed May 12, 2010 5:47 pm

Your missing the point - Just because your brandish a bottle or a shovel does not mean that I am obliged in some way to take out my melee weapon and beat you over the head with it.

Melee all you want, Even if the enemy is using other weapons, who cares? Its more fun when you kill them when you melee and they dont.
Heresy MMO Guild Member.
Gh0st.IRE

Postby Haggus McGee on Thu May 13, 2010 5:44 pm

You don't understand, you don't have TF2 etiquette.
Haggus McGee
Home Member

Postby Gh0st.IRE on Thu May 13, 2010 5:52 pm

Oh no, What ever will I do? I've offended someone in a game because I refused to hit them with a bottle. Fail.

You cant expect every player to watch you and what weapon your using in the hope that they can use the same weapon class as to not offend you and your petty "rules" regarding how people should play.
Heresy MMO Guild Member.
Gh0st.IRE

Postby Haggus McGee on Fri May 14, 2010 8:30 pm

They're not my rules...
Haggus McGee
Home Member

Postby Xerxes on Fri May 14, 2010 9:18 pm

Ok guys, let's not argue about this. End of the day, if someone wants to melée and the other does not, it's not a huge deal- this is a game, remember. :)
ImageImageImage

"I forgot about unspec" - ApacheFlame 05/02/15
Xerxes
UKCS Vice President
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Xerxes
STEAM_0:0:2949329

Postby Blissnabob on Sat May 15, 2010 11:02 am

I get you what you mean Haggus. Carry yourself in game as you would in real life and BE A MAN! DIE WITH HONOUR!
I'll often oblige a melee'r just for a giggle.

I've had the homewrecker for ages and never used it! Maybe this is a reason. I like to assist engies.
ImageImage
Thanks to brutal, my Serbian homeboy for the sig.
Blissnabob

Player: [cFc] bliss
STEAM_0:0:9616370

Postby JuicyTeddy on Sat May 15, 2010 12:49 pm

I haven't seen many pyros use this yet, so I guess it doesn't influence the game as much...
JuicyTeddy
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: Juicy Teddy
STEAM_0:1:10636729

PreviousNext

Return to UKCS : TF2 Server Chat