Random Questions

Forum for discussion on the UKCS:TF2 Servers

Random Questions

Postby JordanWatt on Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:43 pm

How long does it usually take to get an admin application looked at. Also why is supplying a photo and telephone number essential ?

JordanWatt
Recruit Member

Player: JJWAATT
STEAM_0:1:41789416

Re: Random Questions

Postby EWJ on Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:51 pm

Patience young one, all shall be revealed in time... :P

But in all seriousness it could take a week or two.

As for the photo and telephone, its to ensure that you're not a spy...
God is a defect of the human genome.
Earthwormjim hes such a groovy guy,
Earthwormjim he rockets thru the sky,
EWJ
Old Timer
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Mr EWJ ®
STEAM_0:1:3498984

Postby JordanWatt on Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:03 pm

Yea i can understand it might take a while and im fine with that, just the telephone number and photo seem unnecessary

JordanWatt
Recruit Member

Postby heuji on Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:49 pm

EWJ wrote:As for the photo and telephone, its to ensure that you're not a spy...

it was a serious joke :lol:
its to make sure who you say you are and so you can be contacted i'd guess. i don't see how its a problem. ok, so you don't want to stick that stuff on a public forum is understandable, but, whats wrong with other admins knowing that stuff? theyre trusting you with large scale community servers. most of the admins have met at lans etc. and have been actively part of the community for a while.
i don't meant to be rude, and note i'm not part of UKCS admin team so my say means 0. but, why after only 3 forum posts, and i don't recognise your from UKCS mumble, or the servers, would you like to be an admin and stay nameless and faceless to the other admins?
☁ every cloud has a silver lining, it's called rain! ☁
heuji
UKCS Sponsor

Player: heuji
STEAM_0:0:5401050

Postby SiebenAuf on Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:02 pm

Just for reference, it took 16 days for my application to be accepted. :D
"They call me Girl, they call me Sieben, they call me Matt, they call me Jane,
that's not my name
*clap clap*, that's not my name *clap clap*,
that's not my name
*clap clap*, that's not my naaaame..."
SiebenAuf
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: Sieben
STEAM_0:0:17316280

Postby ApacheFlame on Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:15 pm

JordanWatt wrote:Yea i can understand it might take a while and im fine with that, just the telephone number and photo seem unnecessary

Yes, I am afraid that they are necessary. If we are putting faith in you with control of our servers then we would expect this faith to be returned. Your details are accessible by only the executive admins (7 people in total) and are only ever used in extreme circumstances.

I would also like to add that patience is a virtue which is an essential trait in any UKCS admin. Your application will be dealt with in due course.
The Programmers Mantra: Declare Variables, not War.

ApacheFlame
Exec. Admin (Retired)
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Apache
STEAM_0:1:27288431

Postby JordanWatt on Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:50 pm

heuji wrote:
EWJ wrote:As for the photo and telephone, its to ensure that you're not a spy...

it was a serious joke :lol:
its to make sure who you say you are and so you can be contacted i'd guess. i don't see how its a problem. ok, so you don't want to stick that stuff on a public forum is understandable, but, whats wrong with other admins knowing that stuff? theyre trusting you with large scale community servers. most of the admins have met at lans etc. and have been actively part of the community for a while.
i don't meant to be rude, and note i'm not part of UKCS admin team so my say means 0. but, why after only 3 forum posts, and i don't recognise your from UKCS mumble, or the servers, would you like to be an admin and stay nameless and faceless to the other admins?

Well i used to play on the CS:S servers for a while on my old account, and i still kinda play on them on this account, after i stopped CS:S i found out UKCS had TF2 servers, so i was playing etc then i saw th eposter that they needed some admins, i figured well i kinda know some of the community becoming an admin would let me feel like im contributing alot to a good community i know. Also another reason why i applied is because i was previously with another group as an admin (head admin) but i left because of problems with the founders etc

Edit**
Also i consider myself to be experienced as i have about 9+ months as an admin for previous ggroups/communitys

Last edited by JordanWatt on Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JordanWatt
Recruit Member

Postby JordanWatt on Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:53 pm

ApacheFlame wrote:
JordanWatt wrote:Yea i can understand it might take a while and im fine with that, just the telephone number and photo seem unnecessary

Yes, I am afraid that they are necessary. If we are putting faith in you with control of our servers then we would expect this faith to be returned. Your details are accessible by only the executive admins (7 people in total) and are only ever used in extreme circumstances.

I would also like to add that patience is a virtue which is an essential trait in any UKCS admin. Your application will be dealt with in due course.

Well i would send a photo but i dont exactly want to hand out my telephone number, seeing as i basically still live with parents (im at my final years of college) and (i would also give you my email but i think you already have that when i signed up)

JordanWatt
Recruit Member

Postby Xerxes on Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:39 pm

That information is necessary, no negotiations I'm afraid. See also: viewtopic.php?f=52&t=58393&p=7062020#p7062011 :)

We'll look at your application ASAP, but please be patient as we do have many other things that we have to do as well. :)
ImageImageImage

"I forgot about unspec" - ApacheFlame 05/02/15
Xerxes
UKCS Vice President
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Xerxes
STEAM_0:0:2949329

Postby heuji on Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:50 pm

JordanWatt wrote:Well i used to play on the CS:S servers for a while on my old account, and i still kinda play on them on this account, after i stopped CS:S i found out UKCS had TF2 servers, so i was playing etc then i saw th eposter that they needed some admins, i figured well i kinda know some of the community becoming an admin would let me feel like im contributing alot to a good community i know. Also another reason why i applied is because i was previously with another group as an admin (head admin) but i left because of problems with the founders etc

Edit**
Also i consider myself to be experienced as i have about 9+ months as an admin for previous ggroups/communitys

i wasn't asking why you wanted to be an admin, but, why stay faceless and not give out your tele number to other admins considering i, and most likely they too, haven't seen you in TF2. you could be anybody.
as for the phone number answer; they might want your landline for verification purposes, but knowing a lot of them as i do, they'll probably be happy to contact you via your mobile should that ever be necessary method of contact. they'll hardly spam your folks phone :wink:
what did you expect from a privately run community? the servers are all owned and hosted by UKCS, not some random sub host. its like giving someone remote access to your pc. would you do that with someone you don't know? theres 8 busy servers they need trustworthy people to look after them. i personally understand why they want these things from prospective admins. if anything, its actually fairly trivial. most people on your facebook already have accces to this stuff, and more. theres people on my facebook that i havent seen for over 20 years and i'd be more trusting, have more in common, spoke to more recently, the UKCS admins :P they're not kids.
☁ every cloud has a silver lining, it's called rain! ☁
heuji
UKCS Sponsor

Player: heuji
STEAM_0:0:5401050

Postby 13th Nightmare on Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:55 pm

You'll just need to be patient I'm afraid mate. Your application will get looked at, but there is no specific time frame that it'll get looked at in.
Heaven Doesn't Want Me. And Hell Is Afraid I'll Take Over
13th Nightmare
Senior Admin
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: 13th @ #i61
STEAM_0:1:23426932

Postby Gh0st.IRE on Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:32 am

I would also like to point out that you don't have to give your photo and numbers- if you don't want to, decline from having your application posted further. It's like a contract, these are the T&Cs, and like them or not, you gotta' agree to them before you can sign up!

I remember having my photo and number taken when I was an admin.
Ex-TF2 Admin. Forum Moderator. Add me on Steam or PM me here!
Heresy MMO Guild Member.
Gh0st.IRE

Player: Rear Naked Bugs
STEAM_0:0:12137987

Postby GamerBlack on Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:07 pm

What age must you be to become an admin? 12+ 16+ 18+...? :scratch:

GamerBlack

Player: SwagDaddy
STEAM_0:0:43726680

Postby Ger-h on Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:13 pm

Ger-h
Executive Admin
Maptesting Head
UKCS iSeries Attendee
Official Executive Teaboy™

Player: Ger
STEAM_0:1:35307921

Postby MotsMan on Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:31 pm

There isn't any set age to be able to be an admin :P I know people who became admin younger than 18.

It would be more dependant on your maturity for your age and other factors :3
Ex-CS:S Senior Admin & Ex-CS:S Map Testing & Events Manager
Thanks to Frying Dutchman for the avatar :)
MotsMan
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: Madsie
STEAM_0:0:12412399

Postby BelovedKiller on Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:58 am

It also depends on how many times you revive old.. dead.. threads..
BelovedKiller
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: 제트별 - 冻住,不许走!
STEAM_0:0:22867374

Postby Binerexis on Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:39 am

To be fair, this revive keeps things tidier than making a new topic.
"Everyone just shut up and enjoy your arena."
"...But we don't enjoy aren-"
"SHUT UP AND ENJOY YOUR ARENA!"
Part three of my quest to lose my sanity

"Bin would get my Unusual hatz since he's the coolest, bravest, smartest and toughest admin." - Bruce Willis
Binerexis
Old Timer
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Extrodisian
STEAM_0:0:19678834

Postby TheChrisD on Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:57 am

BelovedKiller wrote:It also depends on how many times you revive old.. dead.. threads..

Three months is hardly old and dead.
TheChrisD
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: TheChrisD
STEAM_0:1:12934226

Postby 13th Nightmare on Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:07 pm

I prefer seeing people reuse this topic, than just making a new one
Heaven Doesn't Want Me. And Hell Is Afraid I'll Take Over
13th Nightmare
Senior Admin
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: 13th @ #i61
STEAM_0:1:23426932

Postby Rico on Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:24 pm

I reckon people should only resurrect old threads if their new post pertains to the original topic. In this case, I see it as a new question, and as such could have just as well been a new thread as tagged onto one that asked a different question and had been dormant for 2 months. Keeping things "tidier" wouldn't really enter into it normally, as old threads should fall off the first page, which to be frank is all most people look at. In our case here, there are threads that were last posted to in September, so maybe that doesn't hold; but the reason those dormant threads are still there on the first page is because people mostly post in the same few threads.

Anyway, as for the minimum age, previously it's been regarded as 18 as I recall, but these days we take a more pragmatic view. Age should not be a hard and fast rule, as there are 14-year-olds who are behaviourally more mature than 22-year-olds. We would consider age as a factor, but if your conduct on the servers and forum community demonstrates you have the attitude and abilities we're after, that's influential.
RIP [SS]Mantis, sadly departed July 3rd 2014

[TJD]Rico -- AKA: Agent57, LLAMATRON, CobaltBomb, Judge Rico
UK's Sexiest Gamer 2003 (runner up; I was robbed!)
"No plan, sir. No sleeves!"
Rico
Senior Admin
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Rico \o/
STEAM_0:0:311773

Return to UKCS : TF2 Server Chat