Streaming and Mumble

Forum for discussion on the UKCS:TF2 Servers

Streaming and Mumble

Postby PedalBin on Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:43 pm

Just to start I want to say this is not a lecture, this is not a complaint. It is a suggestion and I'm just asking for friendly co-operation.

Hello, just wanted to reiterate something said on the mumble a few days ago.. I think me and quite a few others would appreciate it if anyone streaming mumble or streaming games and mumble together (again I'm not pointing fingers) could put in their name that they are doing so. I, and others, feel it is quite a breach of our privacy to stream us to the world without our permission or even our knowledge. I don't care how many viewers you get or even if it just for personal use.

So tl;dr is: Please say if you're streaming/put it in your mumble name as to not breach peoples privacy, thanks!


PedalBin
UKCS Sponsor
 
Player: PedalBin
STEAM_0:0:23816565
 
Posts: 117
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:49 pm

Re: Streaming and Mumble

Postby re# Skilgannon on Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:05 pm

the problem with your suggestion is that if you have registered your mumble (which most of us have) you cant change your mumble name as its locked into the certification
for she is the Cat that walks by herself, and all places are alike to her

no matter how many times I put together the great jigsaw of life there is always the same integral piece missing that prevents the picture from being complete Annabel Rose Hardwick
User avatar
re# Skilgannon
Moderator
UKCS iSeries Attendee
 
Player: Sunshine Snookums
STEAM_0:0:7668
 
Posts: 1813
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:05 pm
Location: Leicestershire



Image

Re: Streaming and Mumble

Postby Binerexis on Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:21 pm

If you don't mention any personal information over mumble, you don't really have to worry about privacy breaches.
"Everyone just shut up and enjoy your arena."
"...But we don't enjoy aren-"
"SHUT UP AND ENJOY YOUR ARENA!"
Image
Part three of my quest to lose my sanity

"Bin would get my Unusual hatz since he's the coolest, bravest, smartest and toughest admin." - Bruce Willis
User avatar
Binerexis
Old Timer
UKCS iSeries Attendee
 
Player: Extrodisian
STEAM_0:0:19678834
 
Posts: 5282
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:58 pm
Location: The North



Image

Re: Streaming and Mumble

Postby Cap'n Neuro on Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:33 pm

I don't think there's really any reasonable assumption or expectation of privacy on Mumble or any other publically accessible form of communication anyway.

Would you also expect someone on a server (ANY server for anything) to ask politely if they can stream the game because it happens to have voice chat in? Because it's really no different.
"The best laid plans of mice and men often break down to inherent cross-species communication barriers"
Image
User avatar
Cap'n Neuro
UKCS Life Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee
 
Player: Neuro the Legit Samurai
STEAM_0:0:3125332
 
Posts: 657
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:49 am
Location: Ipswich, Suffolk.



Image

Re: Streaming and Mumble

Postby PedalBin on Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:25 pm

re# Skilgannon wrote:the problem with your suggestion is that if you have registered your mumble (which most of us have) you cant change your mumble name as its locked into the certification

An easy solution is for the people streaming to tell people in mumble then.

Binerexis wrote:If you don't mention any personal information over mumble, you don't really have to worry about privacy breaches.

I like to be able to talk freely and joke about with the people in mumble. What if I say something I don't want the whole world to hear. Would you be okay for someone to constantly be listening to your conversations with peers or friends?

Cap'n Neuro wrote:I don't think there's really any reasonable assumption or expectation of privacy on Mumble or any other publically accessible form of communication anyway.

Would you also expect someone on a server (ANY server for anything) to ask politely if they can stream the game because it happens to have voice chat in? Because it's really no different.

I understand there are no laws but why would it be such a problem for people streaming to just ask people for their permission? It's really not much to ask. Your second point is a completely different entirety. I obviously don't care about people watching my game but recording my conversations with people, things I say to certain people... Especially if someone just joins and starts streaming. In games I choose to talk at certain points but mumble is a constant flow of chatter.


PedalBin
UKCS Sponsor
 
Player: PedalBin
STEAM_0:0:23816565
 
Posts: 117
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:49 pm

Re: Streaming and Mumble

Postby ApacheFlame on Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:32 pm

Well I am sure that this was an oversight. I am certain that most people who do want to stream ask if anybody minds first. I know I certainly do.

It is not something that we plan to 'legislate' on I am sure. If this is not the case I am sure either Xerxes or TC will make sure it is widely known.

Thanks,

Apache.
The Programmers Mantra: Declare Variables, not War.

Image
Image
User avatar
ApacheFlame
Exec. Admin (Retired)
Moderator
UKCS iSeries Attendee
 
Player: Apache
STEAM_0:1:27288431
 
Posts: 5300
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:12 am
Location: over at the Frankenstein place



Image

Re: Streaming and Mumble

Postby PedalBin on Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:34 pm

ApacheFlame wrote:Well I am sure that this was an oversight. I am certain that most people who do want to stream ask if anybody minds first. I know I certainly do.

It is not something that we plan to 'legislate' on I am sure. If this is not the case I am sure either Xerxes or TC will make sure it is widely known.

Thanks,

Apache.

Thanks Apache you've completely understood what I'm asking for. Not any rules set in stone just some appreciation for some others that don't prefer to be streamed.

Cheers again,
PedalBin.


PedalBin
UKCS Sponsor
 
Player: PedalBin
STEAM_0:0:23816565
 
Posts: 117
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:49 pm

Re: Streaming and Mumble

Postby Unspecified on Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:17 pm

As Apache says, there is no official policy about this currently as we like to keep mumble as relaxed as possible.

I'd agree though that i personally would like to know if something im saying is being broadcast to an audience wider than it appears. There are things i would say to a specific person/group that i might not say, or at least word differently, to a wider audience of people i might not know. Maybe that's just me, but i know i feel more self concious and less talkative amongst 'strangers'.

There may be no true expectation of privacy on mumble (and identity on there is less certain than say with steam accounts) but that's no reason to take liberties and its certainly common courtesy to let people know you are streaming them to world+dog. I'd think as a content producer you would want the people you are broadcasting to know its going on or they could be saying all sorts of things you wouldn't want on your stream.

There is a streaming channel in mumble and you can certainly create temporary channels within game channels to indicate the people in them are being streamed if you don't want to have to keep mentioning it, as the name changing suggestion is not easy on mumble.
ImageUKCS Head Moderator. Retired Senior TF2 Admin.
Feel free to send me a Image or message me through Image with any questions or problems.
Don't forget that UKCS has an image uploader that's fast and free for all members!


17:43 - Salva: i did find out im not pregnant

One of the UKCS iSeries Clanbox Co-Organisers:
Image
User avatar
Unspecified
Executive Admin
Head Moderator
UKCS iSeries Attendee
 
Player: unspecified
STEAM_0:0:2326270
 
Posts: 4922
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:05 pm
Location: UK



Image

Re: Streaming and Mumble

Postby Unspecified on Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:20 pm

Cap'n Neuro wrote:Would you also expect someone on a server (ANY server for anything) to ask politely if they can stream the game because it happens to have voice chat in? Because it's really no different.


I think there is a slight difference between the two that does matter. On a server you are only going to know a small percentage of the people, therefore you are already using your 'outside voice' and working on the basis you are talking to strangers, which you obviously are. Whereas on mumble i generally know most (though not always all) of the people and so talk about things there i would never do on server or in front of total strangers.
ImageUKCS Head Moderator. Retired Senior TF2 Admin.
Feel free to send me a Image or message me through Image with any questions or problems.
Don't forget that UKCS has an image uploader that's fast and free for all members!


17:43 - Salva: i did find out im not pregnant

One of the UKCS iSeries Clanbox Co-Organisers:
Image
User avatar
Unspecified
Executive Admin
Head Moderator
UKCS iSeries Attendee
 
Player: unspecified
STEAM_0:0:2326270
 
Posts: 4922
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:05 pm
Location: UK



Image

Re: Streaming and Mumble

Postby EWJ on Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:47 pm

Never much thought about this as I'd always have assumed someone would say " hey Jim i'm streaming our chat, that ok?" If say i joined the Tf2 channel and someone was streaming and never mentioned it Tbh i'd be fairly pissed.
God is a defect of the human genome.
Image
Earthwormjim hes such a groovy guy,
Earthwormjim he rockets thru the sky,
User avatar
EWJ
Old Timer
Moderator
UKCS iSeries Attendee
 
Player: Mr EWJ ®
STEAM_0:1:3498984
 
Posts: 8042
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2006 3:10 pm
Location: Ireland, The People's Republic of.



Image

Re: Streaming and Mumble

Postby ApacheFlame on Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:58 pm

I think if someone is already streaming then its probably not fair to expect them to warn every person that joins after the fact.
The Programmers Mantra: Declare Variables, not War.

Image
Image
User avatar
ApacheFlame
Exec. Admin (Retired)
Moderator
UKCS iSeries Attendee
 
Player: Apache
STEAM_0:1:27288431
 
Posts: 5300
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:12 am
Location: over at the Frankenstein place



Image

Re: Streaming and Mumble

Postby Rico on Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:59 pm

ApacheFlame wrote:I think if someone is already streaming then its probably not fair to expect them to warn every person that joins after the fact.


I disagree. If you're of the mind that people already in Mumble should be told/asked when someone starts streaming, it's reasonable that the same courtesy should be extended to others who join.
RIP [SS]Mantis, sadly departed July 3rd 2014

Image
[TJD]Rico -- AKA: Agent57, LLAMATRON, CobaltBomb, Judge Rico
UK's Sexiest Gamer 2003 (runner up; I was robbed!)
"No plan, sir. No sleeves!"
User avatar
Rico
Senior Admin
UKCS iSeries Attendee
 
Player: Rico \o/
STEAM_0:0:311773
 
Posts: 3268
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:29 am
Location: Morecambe, Lancs, UK



Image

Re: Streaming and Mumble

Postby ApacheFlame on Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:11 pm

I think it is a curtesy to tell people when you are going to stream. However it should be assumed that people may be streaming and if you have issue with this then it is up to you to ask.

Obviously this is my opinion and not a statement of rules etc.
The Programmers Mantra: Declare Variables, not War.

Image
Image
User avatar
ApacheFlame
Exec. Admin (Retired)
Moderator
UKCS iSeries Attendee
 
Player: Apache
STEAM_0:1:27288431
 
Posts: 5300
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:12 am
Location: over at the Frankenstein place



Image

Re: Streaming and Mumble

Postby 13th Nightmare on Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:40 pm

There is an easy solution.

We do have a streaming channel in mumble. So if you are going to stream, go there. Which is a laugh coming from me seeing as I stayed in the TF2 channel a couple of days ago when I was streaming. But in my defence it was to see if I could do it or not. As if I get an idea in my head, I do need to follow it through. And I forgot to move myself when I did start streaming
Heaven Doesn't Want Me. And Hell Is Afraid I'll Take Over
User avatar
13th Nightmare
Senior Admin
Moderator
UKCS iSeries Attendee
 
Player: 13th @ #i61
STEAM_0:1:23426932
 
Posts: 2326
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:01 pm
Location: East Kilbride, Scotland



Image

Re: Streaming and Mumble

Postby Xerxes on Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:42 pm

Let's keep this short and sweet - this is a very much two way thing and massively subjective as to what is expected. Certainly it is also something we don't want to create rules for as it would be difficult to police and also discourage streaming to an extent - something we don't want to see happening.

As such it is advised to:

  • If you are streaming, try to mention that you are doing so to anyone in the channel or anyone that joins. This comes under common courtesy as anything mentioned would not just be between the people you are currently talking to. Remember that the people you are broadcasting are likely to be UKCS regulars and offence taken could follow you for a long time.
  • If you're in Mumble, don't say anything you wouldn't want others to hear. Remember that the internet is public domain and most things you do can be extremely easily passed on or replicated.

I will look into a way of easily showing that you are streaming on Mumble, but at the moment I don't think there are any plugins to change username (due to certificates) or status.

The streaming channel has been designated for people who want to stream without other users interrupting them (all users are muted on join), for example for players streaming a live game and don't want "Mum! Where are my pizza rolls?!" or "OMG vanilla respawn sucks" interrupting their casting.
Image
Image
Image
Image
ImageImageImage
Image

Image
"I forgot about unspec" - ApacheFlame 05/02/15
User avatar
Xerxes
UKCS Vice President
Moderator
UKCS iSeries Attendee
 
Player: Xerxes
STEAM_0:0:2949329
 
Posts: 10573
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:30 pm


Return to UKCS : TF2 Server Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 1 guest