Server 8 Respawn Timer again

Forum for discussion on the UKCS:TF2 Servers

Server 8 Respawn Timer again

Postby SkeletalBOB on Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:26 am

Firstly, thanks to whoever restored the respawn timer on 8 to a lower value (Instant). It has helped fill the server again no end, and seen a return of many a familiar face. :cheers:

Sadly there is a problem, the server used to run with a respawn time of roughly 3 secs BLU and 7 secs RED, which allowed for more pushing of cart and less BLU getting stuck. I have ran this past everyone in the server on multiple occasions and no one seems against the idea, so hopefully it wouldn't cause any unhappy gamers, which is the last thing any of us want (well most of us normal non trolling folk). :lol:

The current timer means that if Red have more than 2 competent engies every map if impossible without many multiple ubered demos and heavies etc, plus if reds have a sticky demo with kritz medic, might aswell say goodbye to any chance of Blu winning the round. This has lead to boring stalemates (Goldrush recently anyone?) which whilst fun for a while is starting to grate on the regulars and is leading to many a rage quit. </3

I remember the old timer not being to longer of a wait for either team, infact the extra time to respawn as red was sometimes welcome, but having a lower BLU respawn simply lead to a better flow on the maps and also made many more of the maps being playable/winnable as BLU without having stacked teams or everyone playing try hard combos of heavy medics and sticky demos with kritz. :roll:

I understand an update broke the last respawn timer, and I'd rather the current timer than vanilla, but is there anyway of returning it to what it was when 8 was in its (imho) best days? :scratch:

TL:DR 8 used to have roughly 3 sec BLU and 7 sec RED respawn times, is it possible to have this again? :scratch:

Thanks for your time,

if you read this far here is a silly map request video - http://youtu.be/srEAKeLRi5A which could be funny on 8, could be terrible, but surely worth a try. :D

Bob :o
ImageImage
SkeletalBOB
Senior Admin

Player: SkeletalBOB on craptop
STEAM_0:0:41790546

Re: Server 8 Respawn Timer again

Postby ApacheFlame on Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:12 am

The reason we don't use a timer like that is because there is no valve implemented way of doing it. It requires a plugin to the server. All the plugins we have tried in the past caused server instability and the plugins themselves were prone to crashing. Whilst we agree with you in practice that altered respawn timers would be great, there is just no reliable way of implementing them at this point in time.

We do pride ourselves with running as stable a server as valve will let us get away with and something that will throw a spanner in the works by crashing is obviously something we would like to avoid.

This question has been asked a fair amount over the last 6 months, which is what prompted the move to instant respawn. We will continue to monitor the situation and do love feedback from members, but this is not a simple fix, I am afraid.

I'll get one of our map gurus to take a look at the map and see if it is suitable for one of our random fun events.
The Programmers Mantra: Declare Variables, not War.

ApacheFlame
Exec. Admin (Retired)
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Apache
STEAM_0:1:27288431

Postby Barbaric on Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:32 pm

Agree with everything SkeletalBob said, short respawns were the best. These days Blu teams seem to have found some ways to counter Red's advantage and now Red only wins most the time, not every time like at first, however pl_upload is another map where 3 or 4 engineers (on a decent full team) makes capping the final point virtually impossible. I think re-enabling short respawn times (3 & 7 secs) would be most Server #8 regulars' first preference but if this is completely out of the question then how about looking at a class limit of say 2 engineers?

Barbaric
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: XDI
STEAM_0:0:6472852

Postby BelovedKiller on Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:40 am

Sorry barbaric, we won't be limiting classes at all. It's against the UKCS fibres of letting people play as freely as possible.
BelovedKiller
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: 제트별 - 冻住,不许走!
STEAM_0:0:22867374

Postby HyPn0o on Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:42 pm

Can only agree with everything SkeletalBOB posted.

Yes #8 used to freak out once in while with whatever spawn timer plug-in was in use before, but the regulars didn't care... we all just jumped back on again soon as it sorted itself out, since the server was very balanced and always full. :scratch:

I understand using 15/20 sec Vanilla turned the server into ghost town so hence instant spawn was opted for instead, but I think the vast majority would rather put up with odd plug-in server lock up’s over the current first cap point ground hog day. For example, I was on #8 for around 5 hours last night; not one attacking team managed to cap final point, on any payload map, and more often than not barely managed to grab the 1st cap point...

HyPn0o
Recruit Member

Player: HyPn0o
STEAM_0:1:5121537

Return to UKCS : TF2 Server Chat