How do you tell who is hacking in TF2?

Forum for discussion on the UKCS:TF2 Servers

How do you tell who is hacking in TF2?

Postby cgimusic on Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:38 pm

I ask this question because today someone was on one of the UKCS servers and the had a hack where anyone they healed as a medic got infinite Uber. This lead to a lot of people accusing a lot of people of hacking. Eventually an admin figured out what was going on and banned the person responsible but I can easily see that a more subtle hacker could get a lot of other people banned like this.

How do you tell who is hacking and who is being "framed" by the real hacker?

In addition I hope this thread alerts the admins that there are apparently hacks that give other players permanent Uber so hopefully no one will get banned unfairly.

cgimusic

Player: [YRo] cgimusic
STEAM_0:1:26670399

Re: How do you tell who is hacking in TF2?

Postby osman on Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:28 am

Hello, you could ask an admin by sending a chat message prefixed by @ followed by your message
According to UKCS TF2 servers rules, using any cheat or innapropriate behaviour can result in a ban, in this case, it's for the healer
Did you warn something for this ?
You can record the guy and log his steam id by opening the ingame console and type "status"
Cheers
osman
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: Osman
STEAM_0:0:30081749

Postby cgimusic on Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:44 am

Thanks but an admin did come along and ban the guy. It just concerned me that there are now hacks available that make it look like other people are hacking and that this could lead to false accusations that it could be hard to disprove. If you are still interested in who it was then http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198087626148 was the person hacking. Given it is a very new account I am sure he will get VAC banned in a day or so.

cgimusic

Player: [YRo] cgimusic
STEAM_0:1:26670399

Postby Binerexis on Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:49 am

Tools and scripts that make it look like someone else is doing something wrong are pretty rare. The easiest way of telling who is actually hacking is to just watch what's going on for a while and it becomes quite apparent.
"Everyone just shut up and enjoy your arena."
"...But we don't enjoy aren-"
"SHUT UP AND ENJOY YOUR ARENA!"
Part three of my quest to lose my sanity

"Bin would get my Unusual hatz since he's the coolest, bravest, smartest and toughest admin." - Bruce Willis
Binerexis
Old Timer
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Extrodisian
STEAM_0:0:19678834

Postby ApacheFlame on Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:50 am

cgimusic wrote:How do you tell who is hacking and who is being "framed" by the real hacker?

We do not ban unless we have conclusive evidence. Thanks for bringing this to our attention earlier and I am pleased that the matter was dealt with quickly :)

We do not normally discuss hacks on the forums, but willing to leave this topic open for now. We do reserve the right to remove the topic without warning though ;)
The Programmers Mantra: Declare Variables, not War.

ApacheFlame
Exec. Admin (Retired)
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Apache
STEAM_0:1:27288431

Return to UKCS : TF2 Server Chat