Voting with F1, F2, F3...

Forum for discussion on the UKCS:TF2 Servers

Voting with F1, F2, F3...

Postby pissed on Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:48 am

Hello all,

I guess most of you had the frustration of accidently voting for a map while trying to change weapons. This happens to me a lot on UKCS, as it has no countdown warning players about the upcoming vote.

Many servers have that countdown, but a much simpler solution would be voting for maps with "F1, F2, F3" keys rather than "1, 2, 3". I've seen other servers use those, and it works like a charm.

Either way, I believe one of the two solutions should fix it. It's a small, but quite annoying problem.

Any thoughts?

pissed
Recruit Member

Player: pissed
STEAM_0:1:17906644

Re: Voting with F1, F2, F3...

Postby Binerexis on Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:13 am

This has been raised a number of times on the forum and there are no plans to change things any time soon.

This is a quote from TC on one of the other occasions this was raised:

TC wrote:We're using the steam code to display the menu and they've written it to steal the focus and unfortunately that can't be changed. You'll notice i've set it that the map choices start at "2", and this is because I changed it so "1" is always close on any popup. It used to be "0". The reason its "1" is so its very easy to close quickly as its by your fingers were as "0" would mean 'letting go' to reach it. The map vote always happens 2 minutes before the end of round.

On CSS, a round based game, we are able to make the popup occur at the start of a round, between buy and fight. There isn't the same opportunity on TF2 and one of the unique features on UKCS is the live results which players like. If the votes were split to individual timing, that would cease to work.

You can turn the votes off on UKCS servers by saying 'settings' and choosing the right option. There are a number of other customizations you can make to your experience under settings too.
"Everyone just shut up and enjoy your arena."
"...But we don't enjoy aren-"
"SHUT UP AND ENJOY YOUR ARENA!"
Part three of my quest to lose my sanity

"Bin would get my Unusual hatz since he's the coolest, bravest, smartest and toughest admin." - Bruce Willis
Binerexis
Old Timer
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Extrodisian
STEAM_0:0:19678834

Postby pissed on Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:42 am

Thanks for the reply. I wouldn't wanna turn off voting, that would take away my "bitching rights" :)
Pity we can't change it, I guess I just have to get on with it.

pissed
Recruit Member

Player: pissed
STEAM_0:1:17906644

Postby alias on Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:02 pm

Another problem is that if im right the valve popup box doesnt even allow enough options for votes. Its just Yes and no which for map votes isnt even going to work.
Now on the workshop!
Image Image

Currently working on: MvM Intercept (2nd place on phase 1 (layout stage) of the TF2Maps contest)
Add me to steamfriends (click here)
alias
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: Alias
STEAM_0:0:2502992

Postby TheChrisD on Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:15 am

alias wrote:Another problem is that if im right the valve popup box doesnt even allow enough options for votes. Its just Yes and no which for map votes isnt even going to work.

I recall a period of time on Valve servers where they had a nextmap vote selection towards the end of a map timelimit with up to 5 options on it from F1-F5, where F1-F4 were options and F5 was a map extension.
TheChrisD
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: TheChrisD
STEAM_0:1:12934226

Postby alias on Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:51 pm

Well, if its only on a valve server then i doubt the normal game has it. That still means you cant use it.

But if it exists im afraid it exceeds the ukcs voting system since it also has a counter on that.
Now on the workshop!
Image Image

Currently working on: MvM Intercept (2nd place on phase 1 (layout stage) of the TF2Maps contest)
Add me to steamfriends (click here)
alias
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: Alias
STEAM_0:0:2502992

Postby TheChrisD on Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:39 pm

Yes, the normal game has it. Valve servers are completely vanilla, everything you find on them is native to the game.

Regarding counters, the native vote menu does have counters BUT you can only see the counters as long as you haven't yet voted.
TheChrisD
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: TheChrisD
STEAM_0:1:12934226

Return to UKCS : TF2 Server Chat