The Great #8 Debate!

Forum for discussion on the UKCS:TF2 Servers

The Great #8 Debate!

Postby ApacheFlame on Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:36 pm

Welcome back my friends, to the show that never ends. We're so glad you could attend. Come inside! come inside!

If this is the first time to the forums, then thank you for registering.

In the past the UKCS community has been vocal about issues on #8, particularly stacking and the fact there is often a long wait to get in. We've been talking and testing amongst the admin team for some time about how to tackle these issues. For this reason we are testing a few solutions over the next few weeks. Some may be popular and others not so popular, but we need your feedback in order to gauge what the best response will be for the community as a whole. Other minor changes may take place, like map timings and rotation.

Thanks for your patience, we will try and react quickly to any really bad moves on our part, but we do also want to give all solutions a chance. Please feel free to leave any feedback on #8 below. If you wish it to be anonymous then feel free to send it to me via PM or email (links on the left).

ApacheFlame (On behalf of the TF2 admin team)
TF2 Exec Admin
The Programmers Mantra: Declare Variables, not War.

ApacheFlame
Exec. Admin (Retired)
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Apache
STEAM_0:1:27288431

Re: The Great #8 Debate!

Postby WAR on Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:01 pm

The only thing I'm not a fan of are maps where there isn't any progress being made in terms of capping, not because the teams are imbalanced but because of how small the map is. I'd say remove Goldrush or any other maps that are just as constricted.

In terms of getting in to the server, I don't really mind but having a duplicate like #8 would be good, but I don't know if you run the risk of having both servers being half full as a result.
TC- you sir, are one pain in the ass!
Imp- you've been offline for a while and you dont have a life. i am confused.
Kan- War is annoying to play against I will agree, but he isn't cheating.

:D

My Youtube account with TF2 videos of epic and win
WAR
UKCS Sponsor

Player: warhuryeah.gg
STEAM_0:1:18284023

Postby just annoying boo on Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:56 pm

Looking forward to seeing what the "testing a few solutions over the next few weeks" will be. Personally I am just starting to warm to 8.........
just annoying boo
Home Member

Player: boo
STEAM_0:1:4062232

Postby rgslane the trackpad on Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:32 pm

I kinda stopped going on 8 after i realised it was almost as spammy as dustbowl, interested to see if any changes might do anything to change that

rgslane the trackpad
UKCS Sponsor

Player: mousepad returns
STEAM_0:1:43601753

Postby Snaggle on Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:41 pm

It would also be nice if something could be done about the map rotation on #8. Right now there doesn't seem to be much of a restriction on which maps show on the votemenu and we are usually always voting for the same maps. Though for some reason, when it gets to around late evening/early morning, we start seeing the other maps more often.

Can we start restricting the last X played maps from the vote list (or increase the exclusion number if this is already in place) to try and encourage a bit more rotation? It honestly seems like the same handful of maps are on the vote and being picked because there is no other choice. There have been maps that I literally don't see for days, even though I play for hours each day.

Also maps like pl_nightfall and pipeline that have no timelimit to enforce the round. If there is no Admin online, these maps will (and have) last for upto an hour. There are plugins that handle this.

And finally something I noticed on dustbowl that shows up a menu at the end of the round to tell you the top players of the losing team, I don't seem to have that on #8? Any chance this could be included if it isn't already?

Last edited by Snaggle on Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Snaggle
UKCS Sponsor

Player: Snaggle
STEAM_0:0:15987743

Postby Slavechild on Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:16 pm

Snaggle wrote:And finally something I noticed on dustbowl that shows up a menu at the end of the round to tell you the top players of the losing team, I don't seem to have that on #8? Any chance this could be included if it isn't already?

Personally I've wanted this on every server but never got round to asking why it isn't :roll:
Magical Facebook Fairy wrote:Image
Slavechild
Home Member

Player: Slavechild
STEAM_0:1:26412177

Postby heuji on Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:46 pm

more player slots so i can drop by for my annual festive trolling :wink:
☁ every cloud has a silver lining, it's called rain! ☁
heuji
UKCS Sponsor

Player: heuji
STEAM_0:0:5401050

Postby ApacheFlame on Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:20 pm

Slavechild wrote:
Snaggle wrote:And finally something I noticed on dustbowl that shows up a menu at the end of the round to tell you the top players of the losing team, I don't seem to have that on #8? Any chance this could be included if it isn't already?

Personally I've wanted this on every server but never got round to asking why it isn't :roll:

An error on my part. It's on my list.

Snaggle wrote:Though for some reason, when it gets to around late evening/early morning, we start seeing the other maps more often.

The map system is set up so that it doesn't swap the server with custom map after custom map. The reason for this is that more than 1 or 2 custom maps in a row starts to affect the server quite a lot in terms of player numbers. For this reason custom maps are restricted to, at most, every other map. Although stock maps are available all the time. Custom maps are also limited to certain times on the server (again, for player stability). This is partly because the server needed it when it was being established (as player count fluctuated a lot). I will talk with the map monkeys about relaxing the rotation limitations, but this may be done in stages.

Snaggle wrote:Also maps like pl_nightfall and pipeline that have no timelimit to enforce the round. If there is no Admin online, these maps will (and have) last for upto an hour. There are plugins that handle this.

In general, we avoid plugins as valve likes to break SM more regularly than you would think. Our core functionality is deliberately built without SourceMod for this reason. I think this is something we will either have to live with or look at other solutions. Obviously, we will look at other solutions, rather than live with it.

Thanks for all the feedback so far guys, it is greatly appreciated.

ApacheFlame
Exec. Admin (Retired)
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Postby Snaggle on Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:01 am

ApacheFlame wrote:In general, we avoid plugins as valve likes to break SM more regularly than you would think.

I run a TF2 community, I know all too well how much Valve like to break things :lol:

One last thing I forgot to mention is that the ukcs_spray command appears to be broken.

Code: Select all
ukcs_spray
------------------------------------------------
SPRAY INSPECTION

You must be standing up to inspect sprays.
------------------------------------------------

This always happens. And yes, I am standing :P

Snaggle
UKCS Sponsor

Player: Snaggle
STEAM_0:0:15987743

Postby Ger-h on Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:26 am

That broke in a recent update will be back soon.
Ger-h
Executive Admin
Maptesting Head
UKCS iSeries Attendee
Official Executive Teaboy™

Player: Ger
STEAM_0:1:35307921

Postby ApacheFlame on Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:35 pm

So. We have an early Christmas present for everyone. TF2#7 is now a clone of #8! This means double the payloading goodness. This does come with the caveat that if it is not good for the health of both servers, we may reverse this. This is definitely still part of the whole plan for testing new things with #8.

Other things are still on the cards, but baby steps.

Enjoy :)

ApacheFlame
Exec. Admin (Retired)
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Postby misterchx on Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:01 pm

Cheers. Will there be a different map rotation on the new one, Apache?

Slavechild wrote:Personally I've wanted this on every server but never got round to asking why it isn't :roll:

Seemed so difficult to implement it. Was asking for a long time and then gave up but seem like it went through in the end and I hope it gets added to all servers. It is inconvenience with it going down with the updates but I think

misterchx
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: musical jesus
STEAM_0:1:1672175

Postby Slavechild on Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:30 pm

misterchx wrote:Cheers. Will there be a different map rotation on the new one, Apache?

Crosses fingers for pl_2fort_multipath :wink:
Slavechild
Home Member

Postby ApacheFlame on Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:07 pm

misterchx wrote:Cheers. Will there be a different map rotation on the new one, Apache?

This will be largely up to the map monkeys, but I would think they would be identical. Bear in mind that there will be changes to 8's rotation soon.

misterchx wrote:Was asking for a long time and then gave up but seem like it went through in the end and I hope it gets added to all servers. It is inconvenience with it going down with the updates but I think

It was meant to be on a couple of servers as a test and then we rolled out to all servers. The issue is that when valve break things it is a process of elimination to see what has broken it. This often leads to SM being disabled and then when it is eventually re-enabled, the losing team scoreboard can get forgotten.

ApacheFlame
Exec. Admin (Retired)
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Postby Ama_ on Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:10 pm

ApacheFlame wrote:TF2#7 is now a clone of #8!

Speaking of #7 it happens to be pretty laggy (I'm playing there at the moment and most people mentioned the lags), which I don't have whenever I happen to play on #8. Is there any way to fix it?

Ama_

Player: Λmα_
STEAM_0:0:37787598

Postby rgslane the trackpad on Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:20 pm

Me too Ama_, same with #2 and to some extent #4.... been going on for a while

rgslane the trackpad
UKCS Sponsor

Player: mousepad returns
STEAM_0:1:43601753

Postby Enigma on Fri Dec 26, 2014 11:05 am

Ama_ wrote:
ApacheFlame wrote:TF2#7 is now a clone of #8!

Speaking of #7 it happens to be pretty laggy (I'm playing there at the moment and most people mentioned the lags), which I don't have whenever I happen to play on #8. Is there any way to fix it?
#7 has been laggy for the past 3 years. See this thread viewtopic.php?f=52&t=53654
Enigma
UKCS Sponsor

Player: nice dead server lmao
STEAM_0:1:29505170

Postby Slavechild on Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:44 pm

I've noticed this is now on server 6 :D
Slavechild
Home Member

Postby elwenildo on Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:45 pm

Well it have only been up a few days and running on payload so far, but the new plugin that choose team for you as in autojoin, is freaking amazing. The big problem with stacking kind of vanished with this, and during the time i played with the plug running i had loads of fun and most matches was running smoothly and without problems. Have also listen around a bit and up to now i have not met anyone thinking this is a bad thing, which indicate that most players really was fed up with the stacking. I found no thread about it here in the forum so i just add the post here and would like to know how the rest of you feel about it?

elwenildo
UKCS Admin

Player: Elwenildo
STEAM_0:0:32508163

Postby Hats on Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:05 pm

Server works fine with AutJoin :). Been noticing a little less teamwork and a lot of new players, that's all.

The only UKCS server I've been playing on is #8 but I haven't noticed the stacking except for 2-3 times when the other team is getting rolled over and it's over in a 2 minutes / when they can't get outa spawn.

Got about 60-40% in wins and losses as a RED player :), fair and good teams prior to AutoJoin update.
Hats

Player: ❤ Mr TF2 Hats ❤
STEAM_0:0:12498915

Next

Return to UKCS : TF2 Server Chat