The Great #8 Debate!

Forum for discussion on the UKCS:TF2 Servers

Re: The Great #8 Debate!

Postby ro_dr2007 on Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:21 pm

The autojoin is very good, but it creates a different type of problem: non-combat of the players. So, instead of fixing the problem of the stacked teams, it just create frustration and bad moments for those who really want to play.

For instance, on Jan, 10th, approx. 22:40 GMT, some people decided they wanted to see stage 3 of Hoodo and... let the BLU team cap the points (so, eventually, BLU won all 3 stages). Of course, some people disagreed and tried to play, so they ended killed, dominated and lost hundreds of points in the statistics, while the BLU players advanced through the stats. And this happens again on the next map - Borneo, where it was also a non-combat of the RED team.
I thought cheating was not allowed here... because arranging a game is cheating. It applies to any sport, so it should apply to "e-sports" also.

This is my first post here, I'm sorry it had to be on this matter. But I consider it was not fair wat happened. I didn't play for almost 2 years on #8 and other UKCS servers to see this kind of behaviour. Plus, it's not very pleasant to click the "connect" button for about 20 minutes just to get into a pre-arranged game.
ro_dr2007
UKCS Sponsor

Player: ro_Dr2017
STEAM_0:0:56271745

Postby Snaggle on Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:07 pm

ro_dr2007 wrote:Stuff about things

This has been happening here and there long before the Autojoin was put in place and in all honesty, I don't really mind this. There are some maps we just never, ever, ever see the rest of. Most of the time the cart never reaches the end, it only happens a few times a day when the server is full. It is nice to just play part2/3 of maps sometimes, even if it means skipping the first round.

Obviously doing this all the time is a bad thing. But in small amounts like it has been happening, I don't really see a big problem.

Snaggle
UKCS Sponsor

Player: Snaggle
STEAM_0:0:15987743

Postby exxxie on Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:43 pm

I've been quite vocal about the issues on #8 in the past and I have to congratulate the admin team on implementing an autojoin for this server. From the few maps I played last night I think it has made the server much, much better. Well done admin team, thank you.

The only things I could possibly whine about now would be:

1. Pulling a few of the stalemate maps from the pool that are claustrophobic clusterfucks of unrelenting spam. The voting system seems to want Goldrush played every other map.

2. Can't think of anything else.

exxxie
Recruit Member

Player: OCP
STEAM_0:0:43551695

Postby Ger-h on Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:50 pm

What maps do you think these are?
Ger-h
Executive Admin
Maptesting Head
UKCS iSeries Attendee
Official Executive Teaboy™

Player: Ger
STEAM_0:1:35307921

Postby ApacheFlame on Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:00 pm

Thanks for the feedback guys, it's definitely appreciated. I'll look into the Goldrush thing, I thought I had improved that sort of thing. One way for the server to be self regulating is to rate the maps, as this does have an impact on how often they are selected. For the record, the current rating is 79.65.
The Programmers Mantra: Declare Variables, not War.

ApacheFlame
Exec. Admin (Retired)
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Apache
STEAM_0:1:27288431

Postby exxxie on Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:04 pm

Hoodoo and Goldrush are my personal least favourite maps on #8 purely because of the 1-1 stalemates that ensue 99% of the time. Its just too hard to cap with 16v16 insta respawn.

The problem with the voting system is:
1. The votes could use a reset to determine what is actually liked and what isn't.
2. People often choose 1 to get rid of the map voting without having any interest in casting a meaningful vote.

exxxie
Recruit Member

Postby heuji on Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:07 pm

exxxie wrote:Hoodoo and Goldrush are my personal least favourite maps on #8 purely because of the 1-1 stalemates that ensue 99% of the time. Its just too hard to cap with 16v16 insta respawn.

The problem with the voting system is:
1. The votes could use a reset to determine what is actually liked and what isn't.
2. People often choose 1 to get rid of the map voting without having any interest in casting a meaningful vote.

you have to forget personal preference, is one thing i have realised, thanks to the admins here. while i'm only really just back playing TF2 i have always kept an eye on things. i personally hate random crits and the non crit server failed (yes, i did notice that admins even though i wasn't playing). i absolutely hate 2fort and it is one of the most popular servers. i got bored of dustbowl pretty quick yet that too is one of the most popular servers. both hoodoo and goldrush may be hated by those attacking but the defending team love them for the spamfest K:D ratio boosting (stat whores, sigh...). i like the vanilla servers but no one plays them now :( i also like CP maps/servers and the occasional DM games. the admins usually have tried these things and player trend dictates they don't work.
back on topic, i really like the autojoin. in all my time on UKCS i don't think i ever once pressed a specific team button. it is really refreshing knowing stacking isn't happening and it still works. while it can cause balance issues by inadvertently stacking one team. it is kind of nice knowing it wasn't player forced.
☁ every cloud has a silver lining, it's called rain! ☁
heuji
UKCS Sponsor

Player: heuji
STEAM_0:0:5401050

Postby heuji on Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:13 pm

ApacheFlame wrote:Thanks for the feedback guys, it's definitely appreciated. I'll look into the Goldrush thing, I thought I had improved that sort of thing. One way for the server to be self regulating is to rate the maps, as this does have an impact on how often they are selected. For the record, the current rating is 79.65.

you could try putting opt out of voting as options 1 & 2, or something similar. i bet that would give interesting results.
heuji
UKCS Sponsor

Postby ApacheFlame on Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:08 pm

1 is 'close without rating' or similar, but granted you could easily hit 2 by accident, which is 'excellent'.

ApacheFlame
Exec. Admin (Retired)
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Postby rgslane the trackpad on Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:17 pm

ApacheFlame wrote:1 is 'close without rating' or similar, but granted you could easily hit 2 by accident, which is 'excellent'.

I do this more often than i care to admit

rgslane the trackpad
UKCS Sponsor

Player: mousepad returns
STEAM_0:1:43601753

Postby exxxie on Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:27 pm

ApacheFlame wrote:1 is 'close without rating' or similar, but granted you could easily hit 2 by accident, which is 'excellent'.

It's not that you hit 2 by accident its that you use a weapon bind as the vote pops up and suddenly you've voted for pl_goldrush. This has been complained about ever since I've been playing on UKCS to no avail. Other servers (skial, reddit community, fragmasters) all use a Function Key vote plugin.

exxxie
Recruit Member

Postby Binerexis on Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:33 pm

It's also been explained countless times why it's not going to be changed; it's a non-issue at this point.
"Everyone just shut up and enjoy your arena."
"...But we don't enjoy aren-"
"SHUT UP AND ENJOY YOUR ARENA!"
Part three of my quest to lose my sanity

"Bin would get my Unusual hatz since he's the coolest, bravest, smartest and toughest admin." - Bruce Willis
Binerexis
Old Timer
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Extrodisian
STEAM_0:0:19678834

Postby heuji on Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:11 am

my bad for mentioning it. i always thought it was the keys that couldn't be altered not the assignments.
heuji
UKCS Sponsor

Postby rgslane the trackpad on Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:46 pm

Binerexis wrote:It's also been explained countless times why it's not going to be changed; it's a non-issue at this point.

uhh
one more time?

rgslane the trackpad
UKCS Sponsor

Player: mousepad returns
STEAM_0:1:43601753

Postby heuji on Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:30 pm

it breaks the plugin that UKCS use and removes valve quickplay compatibility or something like that.
though i thought valve quickplay was done these days and you only join valve servers regardless of valve compatability? unless they reverted back?
heuji
UKCS Sponsor

Postby Binerexis on Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:11 pm

The (very) short version of it is that it messes with the way the UKCS plugin works.
"Everyone just shut up and enjoy your arena."
"...But we don't enjoy aren-"
"SHUT UP AND ENJOY YOUR ARENA!"
Part three of my quest to lose my sanity

"Bin would get my Unusual hatz since he's the coolest, bravest, smartest and toughest admin." - Bruce Willis
Binerexis
Old Timer
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Extrodisian
STEAM_0:0:19678834

Postby ApacheFlame on Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:17 pm

heuji wrote:i thought valve quickplay was done these days and you only join valve servers regardless of valve compatability?

There is an option to join 'community' servers, although the default is to valve servers. The ranking system for quickplay is more relaxed than it used to be, but there is definitely still some black magic going on somewhere in the system.

ApacheFlame
Exec. Admin (Retired)
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Postby heuji on Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:41 am

ApacheFlame wrote:
heuji wrote:i thought valve quickplay was done these days and you only join valve servers regardless of valve compatability?

There is an option to join 'community' servers, although the default is to valve servers. The ranking system for quickplay is more relaxed than it used to be, but there is definitely still some black magic going on somewhere in the system.

i used quickplay for the first time ever the other day and it stuck me on an empty valve server :scratch: i didn't see the option. maybe i'm blind? :geeky:
heuji
UKCS Sponsor

Postby Snaggle on Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:15 pm

The map rotation really needs improving. We played Badwater, Barnblitz and then Badwater again. It was said earlier that you see other maps earlier in the day, but we aren't seeing them in the evening. Just look at any game tracking website and you'll see the same maps as the top played and the same maps we always see in the vote. We've played new maps before, either when Admins put up votes or that 1 time you get lucky and a new map comes up on the vote.

The different maps are there (apparently) we just never see them in the voting. I can't even tell you the names of the maps I'm referring to as I've probably played them less than 10 times my entire stay at UKCS :lol:

Snaggle
UKCS Sponsor

Player: Snaggle
STEAM_0:0:15987743

Postby exxxie on Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:07 am

What about a nominate system (like I've seen elsewhere). Seeing pl_pipeline pl_hoodoo pl_goldrush come up in the vote is enough to drive you to self-harm, alcoholism and fragmasters.

exxxie
Recruit Member

PreviousNext

Return to UKCS : TF2 Server Chat