Rarely smooth gameplay anymore

Forum for discussion on the UKCS:TF2 Servers

Rarely smooth gameplay anymore

Postby Snaggle on Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:39 am

I can't really say when this started happening, but I've rarely been able play a full smooth round on #8 for a few months now. I don't seem to get this on any other TF2 server, not even on Valve Sweden servers.

It's hard to describe, the easiest way I can put it is the game just doesn't seem to run "smooth" on here. There are times when I get rubber banded, things pause briefly and then catch up. The game almost feels like it's stuttering at points. It's not just a few times during the evening, it will happen multiple times within a single round. It does seem to be more regular when the server is full, which is often in the evenings. Once players start to leave my problems also go with it.

During the last 5 months or so I've only really encountered this on UKCS. When I ask in game if others experience it, there are usually others that have. I have seen comments/threads in here about the same thing so do you think it's worth investigating a bit more?

Snaggle
UKCS Sponsor

Player: Snaggle
STEAM_0:0:15987743

Re: Rarely smooth gameplay anymore

Postby Snaggle on Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:29 pm

I recorded this tonight during a round of Pipeline. After which we played Thunder Mountain and it was still happening. I quit half way through because it was getting to a point where it was just not fun. I then tried a few other servers just to see if this was me or not and sad to say I could not replicate the problem. When I asked in chat again this evening people were complaining of the same experience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PS2ygEAk_Q

In the video you can quite clearly see how jittery it is. Animations are not smooth, walking around is not smooth. Playing a class such as Soldier you would notice his reloading rockets animation would keep repeating itself (you can see it when I switch Medi guns as well).

Just for testing, I have messed with the cl_interp settings to see if this was a cause but each change produced the same results, even the default ones.

Some details about my connection

ISP: Virgin Media - 150MB (though I was previously with Sky 20MB until about 3 months ago, but the problem existed even on that ISP)

Edit
I notice you guys are also using an sv_maxrate of 30000 which I think might be the cause or a cause. 30 is usually the setting for 24 slot servers, 40-50 being preferred for higher slots. Especially on an instant respawn where there is a lot of constant battle happening. Worth a shot?

Snaggle
UKCS Sponsor

Player: Snaggle
STEAM_0:0:15987743

Postby kan on Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:36 pm

Can you run a tracert to server 8?

Huge thanks to Xerxes for the sig :)
kan
Executive Admin
Senior Moderator
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Cake =^o.o^=
STEAM_0:1:5367050

Location: Living room, near fire but not close enough to burn

Postby Enigma on Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:04 am

Kan's reply above shows how clueless admins are. Just give up like most of us did and find a new server.
Enigma
UKCS Sponsor

Player: nice dead server lmao
STEAM_0:1:29505170

Postby Slavechild on Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:35 am

I use to get stutter like that on the servers when using wifi, I can't say I've had problems with it since moving to a wired connection. Kan is the great wise one so hopefully he can help find an answer.
Magical Facebook Fairy wrote:Image
Slavechild
Home Member

Player: Slavechild
STEAM_0:1:26412177

Return to UKCS : TF2 Server Chat