cp_steel

TF2 Maps Discussion

cp_steel

Postby PsiAmp on Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:59 am

A complex Attack/Defense control point map, with some unique gameplay. Unlike most TF2 maps, capturing a control point modifies the layout of the map, opening and closing routes for each team. As a result, the offensive team has a wide variety of tactical choices around how they'd like to assault the final point. Should they use Scouts and Soldiers to rush the final point with only the routes they start with? Should they go for the side control points and open up more routes to the final? Should they capture extra points to shut down the defender's routes? The many choices keep the map interesting for a long time, providing a wide variety of experiences in a game.

wiki page:
http://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Steel

Introduction video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvptDY8ivtw

PsiAmp
Recruit Member

Player: Addicted To Winning
STEAM_0:1:14332823

Re: cp_steel

Postby MrsSekhmet on Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:52 am

This map is already on rotation.

I am so glamorous i piss glitter and sh*t stardust

My life is a constant struggle between being bored and being lazy.
MrsSekhmet
Senior Admin
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Sekh
STEAM_0:1:40186891

Postby Kaelan002 on Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:54 am

^as above, its just that nobody votes for it. See here for "proof".
There are 10 types of people in the world: those that know binary, those that don't, and those that didn't expect this joke to be in base 3.

[video =373,150]http://a.pomf.se/ixefrf.webm[/video] Now shhhh Kaelan... OOOOOOH
pomf.se is ded. :'(
Kaelan002
UKCS Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Kae
STEAM_0:1:29878923

Postby Binerexis on Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:47 am

That's because it's TERRIBLE.
"Everyone just shut up and enjoy your arena."
"...But we don't enjoy aren-"
"SHUT UP AND ENJOY YOUR ARENA!"
Part three of my quest to lose my sanity

"Bin would get my Unusual hatz since he's the coolest, bravest, smartest and toughest admin." - Bruce Willis
Binerexis
Old Timer
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Extrodisian
STEAM_0:0:19678834

Postby ApacheFlame on Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:05 am

Just shy of 70 days playtime across ukcs ;-)
The Programmers Mantra: Declare Variables, not War.

ApacheFlame
Exec. Admin (Retired)
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Apache
STEAM_0:1:27288431

Postby Inevitable on Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:12 am

No one votes for it? Whenever I've been on it's always been a likely win...
Image Image
Inevitable
UKCS Sponsor

Player: Inevitable
STEAM_0:1:16754718

Postby PsiAmp on Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:49 pm

kaelan002 wrote:^as above, its just that nobody votes for it. See here for "proof".

I don't remember ever seing cp_steel in voting. For the past 3 months I played it like 2-3 times on UKCS.
PsiAmp
Recruit Member

Postby PsiAmp on Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:49 pm

Binerexis wrote:That's because it's TERRIBLE.

lol just because you don't know the map, doesn't mean it is terrible. It is one of the most balanced and fun capture point maps for TF2. You can safely set it instead of Turbine on #6 server or add it as a third map.
PsiAmp
Recruit Member

Postby EWJ on Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:31 pm

I have to admit I quite like Steel.. 50% of the time while playing I could win or lose.. Attacking is hard and defending is equally hard.. IMHO its a good balanced map.
God is a defect of the human genome.
Earthwormjim hes such a groovy guy,
Earthwormjim he rockets thru the sky,
EWJ
Old Timer
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Mr EWJ ®
STEAM_0:1:3498984

Postby ApacheFlame on Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:53 pm

PsiAmp wrote:
Binerexis wrote:That's because it's TERRIBLE.

lol just because you don't know the map, doesn't mean it is terrible. It is one of the most balanced and fun capture point maps for TF2. You can safely set it instead of Turbine on #6 server or add it as a third map.

That's a brave assumption. don't you think that despite it being on rotation on both our rotation servers the fact it doesn't get picked much tells a story?

If people wanted to play it they would vote for it when it comes up. The map choices on six were talked about at great length amongst the admin team. I dint think that adding steel to that server will make it any better.
The Programmers Mantra: Declare Variables, not War.

ApacheFlame
Exec. Admin (Retired)
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Apache
STEAM_0:1:27288431

Postby PsiAmp on Sat Sep 17, 2011 6:02 pm

ApacheFlame wrote:If people wanted to play it they would vote for it when it comes up. The map choices on six were talked about at great length amongst the admin team. I dint think that adding steel to that server will make it any better.

As I said I never see it in voting. And I play a lot in TF2 mainly on UKCS. People never vote for maps they don't know. There are 2 24/7 dustbowl servers and plenty of people don't know that map.

It is a duty of admins and active community members to pick best maps. If majority votes you will have dustbowl and goldrush in 90% of the votes or even more.

I agree that it can be frustrating playing on this map with a team that doesn't know it. But so as any other map.

Add it to granary/turbine server and I can tell you it will be more popular than those two in a month. Though I like granary myself. Turbine is not a good map for a public server.
PsiAmp
Recruit Member

Postby Inevitable on Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:39 pm

PsiAmp wrote:Add it to granary/turbine server and I can tell you it will be more popular than those two in a month. Though I like granary myself. Turbine is not a good map for a public server.

TRUBRINE is the greatest map since sliced bread (that was such a classic map), and anyone who says otherwise is Psunfragga in disguise trolling me.

I must admit I enjoy Steel. I can see why people might not though. Particularly moving from C to D on offense. The majority of the team never realises that the path to D is past A, not B. Slight design flaw there.
Image Image
Inevitable
UKCS Sponsor

Postby coldandtired on Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:03 pm

Steel is just far too confusing for newer players (to the map, or TF2 in general).
coldandtired
UKCS Admin

Player: coldandtired
STEAM_0:0:27915503

Postby PsiAmp on Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:16 pm

Inevitable wrote:
PsiAmp wrote:Add it to granary/turbine server and I can tell you it will be more popular than those two in a month. Though I like granary myself. Turbine is not a good map for a public server.

TRUBRINE is the greatest map since sliced bread (that was such a classic map), and anyone who says otherwise is Psunfragga in disguise trolling me.

I must admit I enjoy Steel. I can see why people might not though. Particularly moving from C to D on offense. The majority of the team never realises that the path to D is past A, not B. Slight design flaw there.

Turbine is a great map 5x5 and usually is boring as hell on public 12x12 and 16x16 servers. Anyone who says otherwise is a caking lie.

Most people don't realize you can stop the cart from moving by standing near it. But that's not a design flaw.

It is not a bad design. Same happens on every map that you don't know. All you have to do is watch introduction video. It is all there.

If you have a good engineer on your team you got teleported where needed.
PsiAmp
Recruit Member

Postby PsiAmp on Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:18 pm

coldandtired wrote:Steel is just far too confusing for newer players (to the map, or TF2 in general).

I've played it on such noob servers you wouldn't believe. But UKCS has a fair amount of skilled players. That's why I'm here.
PsiAmp
Recruit Member

Postby misterchx on Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:31 pm

Dustbowl
Goldrusth
Badwater
Steel
2fort

my top 5 and the only maps I know from the top of the head. :<

misterchx
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: musical jesus
STEAM_0:1:1672175

Postby Inevitable on Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:46 pm

PsiAmp wrote:Most people don't realize you can stop the cart from moving by standing near it. But that's not a design flaw.

Well no. There is a clear flaw: Progressing from A to B is natural as a door blocks the way towards D and E from A (sure, it's opening, but so slowly it might as well not be). You then go from B to C in a continued offensive against the enemy's points. Then, after capping C, you go past the enemy spawn to D.

This sets up a model of B > C > D and players are more likely to continue trying to hold the C > D line instead of abandoning C completely in favour of A, which is what they should do.

This method of progression is a design flaw that can't be blamed solely on normal player stupidity. It could probably be solved by closing a few of the passages and then opening them again after D's capture.
Image Image
Inevitable
UKCS Sponsor

Postby Kaelan002 on Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:47 am

PsiAmp wrote:Turbine is a great map 5x5 and usually is boring as hell on public 12x12 and 16x16 servers. Anyone who says otherwise is a caking lie.

Its not really fair to come here and start going on about how turbine is crap and everyone who thinks otherwise is wrong. Just because you dont like something doesn't mean everyone else doesn't, the maps reflect the opinions of everyone not just the one that shouts loudest.

For instance i would like a 24/7 turbine_pro + 2fort server with stock respawn times but the majority of players would find that horrible. I dont start ranting on about how everyone is wrong and im right, i just accept that it wouldnt work.
There are 10 types of people in the world: those that know binary, those that don't, and those that didn't expect this joke to be in base 3.

[video =373,150]http://a.pomf.se/ixefrf.webm[/video] Now shhhh Kaelan... OOOOOOH
pomf.se is ded. :'(
Kaelan002
UKCS Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Kae
STEAM_0:1:29878923

Postby EWJ on Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:31 am

Locking this for now. Starting to turn into an argument about turbine...Steel is on rotation and its up to players to vote for it when it comes up in map votes.
God is a defect of the human genome.
Earthwormjim hes such a groovy guy,
Earthwormjim he rockets thru the sky,
EWJ
Old Timer
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Mr EWJ ®
STEAM_0:1:3498984

Return to Maps : TF2