Your Guide To Happy Foruming

Use this area to post a welcome thread which introduces yourself to the community. Also used for posting birthdays and other posts of celebration and congratulation.

Postby cerb on Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:59 pm

Not all of us are familiar with forums, or active foruming. For some, the UKCS forums are the first they have ever encountered and to be honest, it can get quite confusing. So this guide is aimed at those who are new to the area, or those who simply want to make their posts look prettier :D
Lets take a look at the guidelines, shall we?

Language

Structure makes the post effective. Use informative headlines for subjects!! I can't stress this enough! This will attract more readers to your thread, as most will just skip topics with subjects that are too general in nature. Also, when writing the content, try to be as less redundant as possible. Check to see if you wrote something twice when it isn't needed. Doing so will decrease the length of the thread, which will increase the reader's motivation for reading it ;). After you've finished writing your post, read it as if you were the reader - try seeing if some points are not wholly understood, spread across too many sentences, or if you've jumped to another subject somewhere without entirely wrapping up the former.

Punctuation marks are your friends! Using comas and full stops, colons and semicolons, and all of those - it makes your post so much more readable! These guide the reader to read your post the way you meant for it to be, and may prove invaluable when trying to make a point. Try reading this line I wrote without any sort of punctuation mark its very hard to read it in one go now think about an entire paragraph. What I mean is, we read as we speak, and with no comas for example, you won't "stop to breath" in between lines, and by the time you've reached the end of the line you've forgotten what it was all about.

Spaces and Paragraphs turn that block of text into a reader-friendly post. It's easier on the eye. So, on a change of subject, start a new paragraph, and when it seems fit, start a new line - just don't keep it all tight and heavy. Frankly, no one wants to read a dense block of characters. It makes things so much more depressing, even if you are sending pies and beers to everyone on UKCS. Rule of Thumb: New whole subjects get different paragraphs, new points your'e getting across (backing and reference for the subject) get new lines.

Grammar and Spelling are as important as the above, if not more. Most of all, it makes sure you are not misunderstood. Secondly, people will take your post more seriously. Now, obviously, not everyone on UKCS are born English speakers, but there is an infinite number of tools available on the internet to help you with that. A quick search on Google, brings up the following site: Spell Checker, and I'm sure there is a quick free translator from your language to English. I use one quite often when I'm not sure which word to use, etc.

BBCode Tags

You may have noticed I used quite a few BBCode tags on this post - It makes the post look well structured and organized, as well as highlight the important things. BBCode tags are bracketed words that give a word or a phrase a certain property to your liking. Each one of those begins with something that looks like this: [Example] and ends with the same word, only with a diagonal line: [/Example]. Everything in between those two brackets will be given the property you chose. To use the tags, you can either write them directly, or mark a word and click on the tag above the text box. Every BBCode tag can be used in combination with any other tag, as many times as you want. All of the tags explained below can be found on top of the writing box when creating a new thread or reply. Here are some examples:

[b]-Bold - Does what it says it does - thickens the width of the font used. Use it to highlight a certain word or when creating a headline.
[i]-Italics - Gives the letters a slight angle. Use in quotes, literature, etc.
[u]-Underline - Creates a line under the word, which helps define it as a headline, or when highlighting, much like Bold.

The next few put the text in a box appropriate to what is in it

This creates a quoting box, where you quote an off-site source or another post. It is automatically created when clicking the "quote" button on the top-right corner of each post. In order to specify who you are quoting, use the following formula: [quote=WHO] (with the name of the person in quotation marks). Note that the quote tag moves the text slightly to the right. On a side note - if you are replying to the person above you, there's generally no need to quote them, and if you do, just the part you are referring to.

Code (Thanks Little Devil :)):
This allows you to put in a structured section of code, without loosing things like space indentations and tabs. However the default tab space is used within the code /code, so if your tab spaces differ this may not look exactly like what you have written. :)

Example

Code: Select all
void main(void)
{
   initCPU();                  // Initialise ports set clock etc
                        // Initialise all variables
                        // Initialise all external addresses            
   I2C_Init();                  // Initialise I2C bus.
   systemStart();               // Set flags to System start conditions
   LCD_Operation(BCKLIGHT_ON);

while (!sysinfo.bSC_flag)      // SC(system check flag) is set on an Error.
   {                        // This flag is maintained at 0 for this version
      if(sysinfo.bColdBoot)
      {
         displayMessage(&cucSplash);   // Display Splash Screen,

List:
  • This creates a list where you can put any number of items.
  • You can separate items by using a bracketed asterisk.

[img] - If you have an image you want to share, and have it already uploaded, put the entire address in this tag. Example:
[img]http://www.............../image.jpg[/img]

Remember, being registered on the UKCS forums gives you access to the UKCS Uploader- Free, fast and easy to use file uploaded (Files go Here, Images go Here) :)

[url] - Allows you to hot-link keywords to websites, meaning clicking on the word will lead to a website. Example:
[url=www.google.com] Click here for Google!![/url]

You can also combine between the two above: placing the IMG tag inside the URL tag (instead of text), makes the image clickable, and it will lead to the URL you want it to.

[size] - This simply changes the size of the font. There are presets in a drop down list above the writing box, however, you can change the size manually to fit your needs like so: [size=###], where ### means a number. For reference, the normal sized text you see is 100.

Font Colour - This will open a small tab where there are quite a few colours for you to use. Very useful for headlines and highlighting, but don't over do it! Also, use bright colours, as the background of the UKCS forums is dark. Just make sure its easy on the eye to read.

Spoiler - Use this tag to hide spoiling information away from readers who haven't read the end of Harry Potter, but is essential for readers who have. Especially useful in the "Films, Television and Books Even!" forum. If you use "=INFO" inside the brackets, The spoiler button will give any general information about what is inside, so readers won't accidentally click it. Just done give away too much information with it ;)

Heres a detailed explanation by Xerxes about "Strikethrough", "Superscript" and "Subscript", and "Align="

Last three are for embedding flash and YouTube videos, and work just like those above. For the youtubeHD one, there are a few options to add at the end of the url: &fmt=6 gives the normal, low resolution videos. &fmt=18 gives the high quality, slightly higher resolution videos. &fmt=22 gives the highest quality possible - 720p.
Here are explanations for embedding MovieWeb, CollegeHumour, Vimeo (Including VimeoHD), WMV video files (You can combine with the uploader!), and BBC.

For FireFox, Internet Explorer and Google Chrome users, Alt+Shift+any of the following letters will insert a BBCode tag as listed here: (Thanks bullet_sponge and Xerxes!)
      b: Bold text: [b]text[/b]
      i: Italic text: [i]text[/i]
      u: Underline text: [u]text[/u]
      q: Quote text: [quote]text[/quote]
      c: Code display: [code]code[/code]
      l: List: [list]text[/list]
      o: Ordered list: [list=]text[/list]
      p: IMG tag
      w: URL tag
      a: Inline uploaded attachment: [attachment=]filename.ext[/attachment]',
      s: Font colour
      f: Font size
      e: List

Expression

Yes, there are smilies on the right, and those are very useful when trying to pass a message, as the reader can't see your face or hear the tone of your voice. Quite often, these separate between a quarrel, and a joke, so make sure you use it. However! Don't overuse it! One smiley is great for emotions, two or three for extreme emotions, but more than that and it looks like you're spamming, and it distracts the reader from the actual text. This also applies to exclamation and question marks.

Abbreviations
Here's a short list of acronyms and abbreviations you may come across on the forums. These help type faster, and most people understand them.
  • AFAIK - As Far As I Know
  • ASAP - As Soon As Possible
  • BB - Bye Bye
  • BRB - Be Right Back
  • CYA - See You
  • FFS - For F*** Sake
  • G/L - Good Luck
  • GTG - Got To Go
  • IIRC - If I Recall Correctly
  • IM(H)O - In My (Humble) Opinion
  • J/K - Joking
  • LMAO - Laughing My A** Off
  • LOL - Laughing Out Loud
  • OMG - Oh My God
  • TBH - To Be Honest
  • WTF - What The F***

Thread Accessories

Options Tab - Gives you a measure of control over the thread. The options there are pretty much self explanatory.
Upload Attachment - Allows you to attach a file to the post, in case you referenced to something specific, or uploading something for the community 8)
Poll Creation - Here you can attach a poll (survey) to your thread, in relation to the content (i.e if you asked a question you want the readers to answer). Separate the different possible answers in new lines.

Further Notes
Always listen to the moderator team! Cut out swear words! Be friendly to fellow UKCSers! Be active on the forums, but that doesn't mean spam! Read post and preview it before submitting! MOAR EXCLAMATION MARKS!
Forum Rules Are Here, make sure you read those!
Heres a great guide for using images on UKCS forum boards! (Thanks bort!)
that's about it, hope you have a pleasant time on the forums, and in-game!
Last edited by cerb on Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:39 pm, edited 24 times in total.
cerb
UKCS Sponsor

Player: cerb
STEAM_0:1:1080650

Re: Your Guide To Happy Foruming

Postby Podge on Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:08 pm

Nicely done Cerb, will sticky if Xerxes doesn't oppose?
Retired UKCS TF2 Senior Admin
Podge
UKCS Admin

Player: OldManRodgers
STEAM_0:1:2582345

Postby bort on Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:36 am

That's good Jacko! Spells even the basics out, which can be confusing to newcomers and often over-looked by the rest of us. I remember it took me a couple of months to figure out what "tbh" meant.

Nice job. 8)
bort
UKCS Sponsor

Player: bort
STEAM_0:1:4207256

Postby Little_Devil on Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:11 am

Nice job Cerb :)

To clarify on one point however, with the code tags.
This allows you to put in a structured section of code, without loosing things like space indentations and tabs. However the default tab space is used within the code /code, so if your tab spaces differ this may not look exactly like what you have written. :)

Example

void main(void)
{
   initCPU();                  // Initialise ports set clock etc
                        // Initialise all variables
                        // Initialise all external addresses            
   I2C_Init();                  // Initialise I2C bus.
   systemStart();               // Set flags to System start conditions
   LCD_Operation(BCKLIGHT_ON);

while (!sysinfo.bSC_flag)      // SC(system check flag) is set on an Error.
   {                        // This flag is maintained at 0 for this version
      if(sysinfo.bColdBoot)
      {
         displayMessage(&cucSplash);   // Display Splash Screen,
Little_Devil
Exec. Admin (Retired)

Player: Aurora
STEAM_0:1:6431437

Postby cerb on Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:56 am

Thank you all :)
LD, I've updated the post with your explanation. If anyone else wants to go into detail on a certain subject, you are most welcome to do so :) That way, we can polish the guide further.
cerb
UKCS Sponsor

Player: cerb
STEAM_0:1:1080650

Postby UK_sniper on Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:36 pm

excellent post mate :D fantastic work! :D

Kev
Long Time UKCS Supporter, Retired Mod & Snr Admin
UK_sniper
UKCS Life Sponsor
Admin (Retired)

Player: UK_Sniper
STEAM_0:0:6007153

Postby Master Yoda on Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:18 pm

here OMG I NEVER UNDERSTOOD HOW SOME PEOPLE DID THAT IT'S LIKE MAGIC !
shotz: i rish u cant
Well spoken shotz, very well spoken.
Master Yoda
Old Timer

Player: yoda.ftw|
STEAM_0:0:18859626

Postby NightStalker on Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:58 pm

haha yoda..i hope that was a joke
NightStalker
UKCS Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: NightStalker
STEAM_0:0:8782934

Postby Master Yoda on Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:53 pm

No seriously. I've wanted to ask how for ages but i knew i'd be called "the nub" for the rest of my life so I passed :D
shotz: i rish u cant
Well spoken shotz, very well spoken.
Master Yoda
Old Timer

Player: yoda.ftw|
STEAM_0:0:18859626

Postby NightStalker on Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:17 pm

ah well see i did the logical thing and quoted it and then looked at it that way :p
NightStalker
UKCS Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: NightStalker
STEAM_0:0:8782934

Postby GazNET on Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:25 pm

Nice. Good job! :D
Sector Clear!
www.gaznet.com
GazNET
Exec. Admin (Retired)

Player: GazNET
STEAM_0:0:2825642

Postby Gh0st.IRE on Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:08 pm

Nice one man, very good job!

Its short, sweet and understandable
Ex-TF2 Admin. Forum Moderator. Add me on Steam or PM me here!
Heresy MMO Guild Member.
Gh0st.IRE

Player: Rear Naked Bugs
STEAM_0:0:12137987

Postby bullet_sponge on Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:37 pm

Nice work.
bullet_sponge
UKCS Sponsor

Player: the spanish inquisition(bsp)
STEAM_0:0:9005143

Postby n0rd on Sat May 23, 2009 8:57 pm

Great post! good work there! It's good for the new ones :D
Feel free to ask questions - n0rd|UKCS| Image / Image
n0rd
UKCS Sponsor

Player: n0rd
STEAM_0:0:12198010

Postby CJ7* on Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:15 am

Great job cerb :D
CJ7*

Player: CJ7*
STEAM_0:0:22101550

Postby Mrrabbitpower on Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:49 pm

Hehe really nice, I think that costed you a lot of time...

Mrrabbitpower
Recruit Member

Player: Dr. Gaki
STEAM_0:0:30642582

Postby venomk on Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:21 pm

look's Good xD

venomk
Recruit Member

Player: Venom
STEAM_0:1:24421322

Return to New Member Introductions and Member Celebrations