Map sections now sub-forums

Forum and server announcements by Admins.

Map sections now sub-forums

Postby CraKinShOt on Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:07 pm

The map sections for each game type are now as sub-forums of the main game forum. This should reduce the forum list a little especially if we have new servers for different games in the future.
CraKinShOt
UKCS Life Sponsor
Exec. Admin (Retired)
Major Forum Contributor

Player: Chubby Boy
STEAM_0:1:2985790

Re: Map sections now sub-forums

Postby vikingclan on Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:52 pm

I don't like it theres to much change to the forums? =/

vikingclan
UKCS Sponsor

Player: Carrot
STEAM_X:X:XXXXXXXX

Postby SkullsY on Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:49 pm

Eugh. Horrible. They were fine how they were imo, never took up too much space for me. Stop changing everything. :(.
ShoTz wrote:Skullsy your forumin' is so good you should be drugs tested for forumin' enhancing drugs

Current Forumin' Level : 6.4
SkullsY
Old Timer

Player: SkullsY
STEAM_0:1:2593534

Postby mole3700 on Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:58 pm

Don't see anything wrong here.
The forums are still really clear, and they kinda fit under the right subsection.

I'm sure everyone'll get used to it.
I might be wrong.
mole3700
UKCS Sponsor

Player: Mole
STEAM_0:0:14623303

Postby Nelsaidi on Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:13 pm

I prefer it as it was before, if it becomes big then its good, its just very slim and weird :/
Nelsaidi
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: batman
STEAM_0:1:11977681

Postby CraKinShOt on Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:37 pm

The lady doth protest too much, methinks.

Its organised this way, you'll get used to it and it'll be far more intuitive to new people. And don't worry its all sanctioned. :)
CraKinShOt
UKCS Life Sponsor
Exec. Admin (Retired)
Major Forum Contributor

Postby SkullsY on Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:29 am

*sigh*.
ShoTz wrote:Skullsy your forumin' is so good you should be drugs tested for forumin' enhancing drugs

SkullsY
Old Timer

Postby CraKinShOt on Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:37 am

So what exactly do you have a problem with?

It doesn't take any more time to get into the sub-forums (they are listed on the row with the game forum name). The list essentially now lists one game type after another so its actually easier to pick them out.
CraKinShOt
UKCS Life Sponsor
Exec. Admin (Retired)
Major Forum Contributor

Postby Nelsaidi on Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:26 am

I like it, its a good idea, just FEELS weird, as its always been like that, and now the box is slimmer all together. It is more organised though.

The link on the description makes it good, as access is still easy, and shows you if theres a new post.
Nelsaidi
UKCS Life Sponsor

Postby vikingclan on Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:35 am

CraKinShOt wrote:The lady doth protest too much, methinks.

Its organised this way, you'll get used to it and it'll be far more intuitive to new people. And don't worry its all sanctioned. :)

yah your bossing around to much

change it back I see we don't like it and we dont need to adjust to you...!!!

most of us have been here for a while and are used to the forums and now its all getting changed and in not like so much

vikingclan
UKCS Sponsor

Postby CraKinShOt on Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:30 am

I'm not bossing around, I'm doing my job.

Having the maps alongside the game forums wasn't possible on the old forums (it probably would have been done already if the old board had sub-forums) and as they are a sub-category of the game type their natural place is as a sub-forums of the the game forums.
CraKinShOt
UKCS Life Sponsor
Exec. Admin (Retired)
Major Forum Contributor

Postby vikingclan on Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:33 am

I think they are hidden and will not be as active nor viewed anymore all the changes which have been done recently I hardly agree with them like some promoties and I know it wasn't possible but it ways also better as it was because the forums looked way bigger aswell which is nice cuse it gives you something to scroll "just my :2c:" :wink:

vikingclan
UKCS Sponsor

Postby CraKinShOt on Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:40 am

Well the map sections were intermittently active anyway.

viewforum.php?f=71

But this sub-forum has seen at activity since being set-up. So it does seem people have the capability to see and use them.

with all probability we'll have at least one left for dead server on the go, even it only to test it. which means another forum with another map section.
CraKinShOt
UKCS Life Sponsor
Exec. Admin (Retired)
Major Forum Contributor

Postby SkullsY on Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:15 am

I didn't even realise the Art forum had sub-forums in it. There's no listing beside it, so I didn't know they were there, inside I just scrolled down to view the topics I wanted to look at, and I always wondered why there was a black ring around it, thought my firefox had bugged or my monitor was screwing up.

I just think putting the maps forum into the general section of that game is taking it way too far. They were tidy as they were, they didn't take up much space, when people wanted to view them they were easy to find (now they're almost hidden, they're gonna get viewed a LOT less) and I wouldn't have even realised there were sub-forums inside if they weren't noted next to the game section.

Oh, why am I wasting my time. Not like anythings going to change. :lol:.

And tbh, I'm gonna lose all respect here but I don't really care. Word has to get across. Thing is Crakin, you're scared of anything before your time. Like I bumped that "real names" thread and you locked it, saying make a new one if you want to carry this on? Why? Lol, it's always good to post in an existing thread than to make a new one. You're a bit worried of anything "pre-crakin", if I'm honest. You're changing things that were perfectly fine before, to things that are different from what they were before. Kind of like, territorial if you like. If I'm wrong (which I know you're gonna say I am) go ahead and speak word, the amount of things I've seen you do though that just... are different, and fine the way they were before, seems crazy to me. But oh well. :lol:.

vikingclan wrote:
CraKinShOt wrote:The lady doth protest too much, methinks.

yah your bossing around to much

most of us have been here for a while and are used to the forums and now its all getting changed and in not like so much

Totally agree. :lol:.

Don't get me wrong I can see the reason for changes in the forums and I'm really not a fan of them, but I'm 1 in a majority and that's fair enough, they've grown on me alot since the start, I just think it's going waaaaaaaay too far. But again, that's just me, 1 in a majority. I rest my case. :lol:.

SkullsY
Old Timer

Postby vikingclan on Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:54 am

Yah same here I didn't know there was a sub forum till I found a topic about and the bumps of for example the your real name topic is good cuse they are nice topic which allow people to reply more on the forums i hadnt even posted in some of the topics.

Change is not bad, but this change is what you think is good its like you suddenly where given powers and now you hope to look good by behaving like your very important, just what i think you know..now..

vikingclan
UKCS Sponsor

Postby CraKinShOt on Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:24 pm

SkullsY wrote:I didn't even realise the Art forum had sub-forums in it. There's no listing beside it, so I didn't know they were there, inside I just scrolled down to view the topics I wanted to look at, and I always wondered why there was a black ring around it, thought my firefox had bugged or my monitor was screwing up.

Well that's because you didn't go into the art section. If there are new posts in the sub-forum the parent forum shows up as having unread posts. You go in there and the sub-forum lights up. Not hard to miss if you regularly visit the art section. Same with the CSS section.

SkullsY wrote:I just think putting the maps forum into the general section of that game is taking it way too far. They were tidy as they were, they didn't take up much space, when people wanted to view them they were easy to find (now they're almost hidden, they're gonna get viewed a LOT less) and I wouldn't have even realised there were sub-forums inside if they weren't noted next to the game section.

Firstly, there is still a link on the main forum listings all be it a smaller one, but if you actually do bother to go into the CSS section its right at the top in the sub-forum listings. So fact: A) you are notified if a post is made in the sub-forum and B) you can go to the sub-forum with one click on the main page. Not a great deal has changed except for the formatting.

SkullsY wrote:Oh, why am I wasting my time. Not like anythings going to change. :lol:.

nothing is a waste of time.

SkullsY wrote:And tbh, I'm gonna lose all respect here but I don't really care. Word has to get across. Thing is Crakin, you're scared of anything before your time. Like I bumped that "real names" thread and you locked it, saying make a new one if you want to carry this on? Why? Lol, it's always good to post in an existing thread than to make a new one. You're a bit worried of anything "pre-crakin", if I'm honest.

You are grasping at straws I think. You bumped a 4 YEAR TOPIC! if anyone else did that you'd be screaming bloody Mary. Bumps are always locked, they always have been, and they were long before I was even a moderator.

SkullsY wrote:You're changing things that were perfectly fine before, to things that are different from what they were before. Kind of like, territorial if you like. If I'm wrong (which I know you're gonna say I am) go ahead and speak word, the amount of things I've seen you do though that just... are different, and fine the way they were before, seems crazy to me. But oh well. :lol:. Don't get me wrong I can see the reason for changes in the forums and I'm really not a fan of them, but I'm 1 in a majority and that's fair enough, they've grown on me alot since the start, I just think it's going waaaaaaaay too far. But again, that's just me, 1 in a majority. I rest my case. :lol:.

If everyone had this mentality skullsy we would never have elevated from the dark ages or sailed the oceans. Changes are made because they are a better way of doing something. If they don't work then they get reverted back. Its hardly a dramatic change. Some people don't like change, its a fact...

vikingclan wrote:its like you suddenly where given powers and now you hope to look good by behaving like your very important

Okay, well firstly the reason things are so sudden is because we have a lot of new features, and secondly, yes, I'm able to do them without bothering TC now. However, with the maps I did ask TC and the rest of the execs before doing it and it was agreed to. If TC doesn't like something and wants it done differently I do it. The text size under your avatar was done by me because TC ordered it. Column table widths were altered because I was told to do it. The group colours were reverted to just 1 colour for the admins because TC ordered it. So don't worry, everything is scrutinized.

Unfortunately for you (it seems), its actually my job to improve the forum. If you think its making me look important, that is you you see it not what the reality is. I don't care for that. Head Moderator for a forum doesn't quite par up with what I'm doing in real life on my 'importance' scale. :)
CraKinShOt
UKCS Life Sponsor
Exec. Admin (Retired)
Major Forum Contributor

Postby SkullsY on Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:44 pm

Well, you've not actually answered anything there. All you've done is agreed with what I've posted. Oh, and fyi; I do visit the art section and I've never noticed the little sub-forum at the top. :).

"Yes, there are sub-forums."

"Yes, I have power."

Looks like these forums just aren't the place for me.

Laters. :wink:.

SkullsY
Old Timer

Postby Nelsaidi on Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:49 pm

Skullsy, your leaving because you didnt get things your way? - Thats life, its hardly ever your way.

It isnt easy managing the forums, and crakin has put in alot of work, fine, some of them i dont like, but, ill have to live with them, and so will you.

Btw, i noticed the sub forums (and the ones that went) on my first view of the page ;)
Nelsaidi
UKCS Life Sponsor

Postby CraKinShOt on Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:50 pm

So you are telling me you cannot see the sub-forums listed on this page: http://forums.ukcs.net/viewforum.php?f=35 ?
CraKinShOt
UKCS Life Sponsor
Exec. Admin (Retired)
Major Forum Contributor

Postby Xerxes on Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:10 pm

vikingclan wrote:yah your bossing around to much

I haven't even read the rest of the thread before typing this...CraKinShOt is Head Moderator. That means anything on the forum falls under his jurisdiction and all changes are at his discretion. He's been appointed that for a reason and does a extremely good job, especially considering how many articles and issues arise every day, let alone the maintenance and bother of switching to a new board.

Personally, Sub-forums are a great new addition- less forums to scroll through, but still readily accessible.

Fair enough, chaps. I get that the change is hard to get used to, but this new template is vastly superior to the old ones in terms of features for both admins and users alike. I think it's about time we let CraKinShOt get on with his job, and for everyone to stop screaming blue murder each time something changes that they don't like. :)
ImageImageImage

"I forgot about unspec" - ApacheFlame 05/02/15
Xerxes
UKCS Vice President
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Xerxes
STEAM_0:0:2949329

Next

Return to Announcements