UKCS - Notice of forced change of Server IPs 24/01/2009

Forum and server announcements by Admins.

UKCS - Notice of forced change of Server IPs 24/01/2009

Postby TC on Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:53 pm

Totally beyond my control, we are being forced by our data center provider, RapidSwitch, to change the IPs of all our 213.228.232.x servers to new IPs. We are aware this is a total nightmare as all our clients have us in their favourites as the existing IPs and its taken us years to build up that player base with UKCS in everyone's favourites. There's also references to our IPs on other people's websites across the globe and those will soon point to non existent servers.

The change will affect ALL servers (CSS, DoD, TF2, LFD, 1.6), except for DoD Donner which is not on the 213.228.232.x range.

You can trust me when I say I've done everything in my power to avoid this imposed change on us, but RapidSwitch have given us no room for negotiation, not even on timescales, despite huge efforts on my part. We are staying with RapidSwitch, but with an enforced IP change.

The reason for the change has not been clearly conveyed to us. RapidSwitch said it was being forced on them by another supplier company (Level 3 communications), but when I followed up with that company to see if we could agree better time scales, or keep the IPs, that company said they were not the cause or involved in any way. After finding this out, when I asked RapidSwitch for clarification for the move they replied "If you are not prepared to accept this change is going to happen, then I would suggest we go our separate ways" and complained at me for "using up a disproportionate amount of their time in an unreasonable way". No further explanation for the IP changes has been provided to us and they show little understanding of the impact of changing a game service providers IPs really means.

I don't even have the new IPs yet, but we may need to change as soon as this coming weekend. I'm hoping to have a period of around 6 weeks where locked game servers on the old IPs say "Moved to new IP: x.x.x.x". This will help regulars find us again. Only around 1% of the total player base that uses UKCS over an extended period use this forum, so won't know this is happening or where we've moved to. Ideally we'd need to advertise the new IPs for 6 months to reach everyone who plays in phases, but those time scales are not on offer. Unfortunately we don't have enough hardware to change suppliers altogether and have an overlap period. Hence staying with RapidSwitch, and accepting a forced IP change, is our only option in these time scales.

This change is likely to significantly reduce the amount of players on UKCS for a long time to come, as the hundreds of thousands of casual players will not realise we've moved and just assume we've closed. I hope over time, the player base will build up again if we can migrate our core player base to the new IPs.

For those who use the UKCS game plugins, with the direct menu options for joining the games, we will be providing new versions that point to the new IPs. I will be emailing everyone who has donated, and who is a forum member, informing them of the new IPs once we have migrated. In total we have around 500,000 people who have played 1 or more game types on UKCS over the years, so probably we're expecting more than a million re-entries of IPs by players caused by this change.

I will post the new IPs, when I know them myself, at the time i'm about to start the swing. You will only be able to enter the new IPs once the servers have been migrated. I hope the 'add favourite' works, because thats not been the most reliable piece of coding by Valve from experience, and we don't want that headache on top of an already big problem.

To say I'm unhappy about having this forced upon us is an understatement of the situation. But given no choice what so ever, we just have to make the best of a bad deal being messed about like this outside of UKCS's control.

Your support and understanding would be appreciated, and we must all do our best to populate the servers on the new IPs once this occurs.

TC

The new IPs for all servers are:
CSS
CSS#1: 78.129.244.229:27015
CSS#2: 78.129.244.227:27015
CSS#3: 78.129.244.227:27030

CS 1.6
1.6 78.129.244.234:27015

DoD
DoD#1: 78.129.244.233:27015
DoD#Donner: 83.142.230.110:27015

TF2
TF2#1: 78.129.244.230:27015
TF2#2: 78.129.244.230:27030
TF2#3: 78.129.244.231:27015
TF2#4: 78.129.244.232:27015
TC
UKCS President

Player: TC
STEAM_0:0:3198285

Re: UKCS - Notice of forced change of Server IPs

Postby saggymanboobs on Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:05 pm

This stinks. Is there any way that any of us can help with this? Would more phonecalls to Rapidswitch, or letters etc help to change their mind? If their phonelines are constantly tied up with UKCS people phoning to complain about the enforced change, would that affect their business enough to make them think again?

Have they even given a reason yet?

What sort of rebate on your rental are they giving you for totally destroying all your hard work?
Sarah says: I am indeed, enjoying the big willy so to speak!

Fede said: oh col, gotta tell you this, i had a dream, and you were in it as a mexican wrestler, fully tatooed and with an awesome costume :D
saggymanboobs
UKCS Life Sponsor
Exec. Admin (Retired)

Player: Saggymanboobs
STEAM_0:1:1621139

Postby DeanX on Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:06 pm

not good, maybe some legal action can be taken
*UKCS Old School*
DeanX
UKCS Admin

Player: DeanX
STEAM_0:0:4858412

Postby EWJ on Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:45 pm

TC wrote: "If you are not prepared to accept this change is going to happen, then I would suggest we go our separate ways" and complained at me for "using up a disproportionate amount of their time in an unreasonable way".

TC

OK. this in a time of recession is not what any CEO of a company wants told to one of its customers. I'd be looking elsewhere if possible as if that's the customer care ..you in deep doo doo.
God is a defect of the human genome.
Earthwormjim hes such a groovy guy,
Earthwormjim he rockets thru the sky,
EWJ
Old Timer
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Mr EWJ ®
STEAM_0:1:3498984

Postby Xerxes on Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:54 pm

Terrible service and insensitive to nth degree. I cannot express how utterly awful this is, and how thoroughly spiteful that it is to rip out the heart of this community for no reason. All the money and hours and hours of work you have poured into this community taken out in one fell swoop. Beyond reprehension or rebuke.

The only thing that is sure is that the core players will remain strong, and UKCS will come back stronger than ever!

As for Saggy's suggestion, if there is any way that the community may help, we are at your disposal.
ImageImageImage

"I forgot about unspec" - ApacheFlame 05/02/15
Xerxes
UKCS Vice President
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Xerxes
STEAM_0:0:2949329

Postby TC on Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:35 am

saggymanboobs wrote: Would more phonecalls to Rapidswitch, or letters etc help to change their mind? If their phonelines are constantly tied up with UKCS people phoning to complain about the enforced change, would that affect their business enough to make them think again?

I appreciate the thought, but that would not improve the situation. When we joined them they were a small start up company and we were an important flagship client, but now they've grown huge we're just another account with them with no influence. We wouldn't want members contacting them as this would only further strain an already strained situation, and the continuation of UKCS would be more greatly threatened if they just decided to 'pull the plug' on us due to other parties getting involved.

Changing of IPs is now unavoidable and we need to keep a working relationship with RapidSwitch.
TC
UKCS President

Player: TC
STEAM_0:0:3198285

Postby Podge on Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:46 am

Best we can do is damage control, Encourage the community to let the greatter masses on the internet know that we're still here. UKCS has been around a long time, and we will prevail.
Retired UKCS TF2 Senior Admin
Podge
UKCS Admin

Player: OldManRodgers
STEAM_0:1:2582345

Postby um!!! on Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:46 am

change the server names to UKCS' Server IPs changing*Important*
and i guess all of us should tell all the servers expect a ukcs change
i hope we dont lose some cool regulars! :(
ImageImage
um!!!
UKCS Sponsor

Player: Um!!!! [UKCS]
STEAM_0:1:10367893

Postby CraKinShOt on Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:42 am

Can you send messages over the Steam Group? That at least will get the 60k+ regulars on board with the change pretty quickly.

I wouldn't over think the severity of the favourites in steam... if memory serves I have had to re-enter the favourites numerous times after a steam update.
CraKinShOt
UKCS Life Sponsor
Exec. Admin (Retired)
Major Forum Contributor

Player: Chubby Boy
STEAM_0:1:2985790

Postby Flawless on Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:08 am

Could also do a little pop up message to players (I'm not sure if you can do a check if you've sent a message to players before) stating the change? or maybe do a say in chat thing that pops open this thread?
F is for Flawesome
Flawless
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: FLawless
STEAM_0:1:6217222

Postby WAR on Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:38 am

sh*t happens to the people that don't deserve it tbh, I'm sure it won't have a huge effect tbh, just have it on the server name UKCS 1 changing to :xxxxx

It will be fineeee :D
TC- you sir, are one pain in the ass!
Imp- you've been offline for a while and you dont have a life. i am confused.
Kan- War is annoying to play against I will agree, but he isn't cheating.

:D

My Youtube account with TF2 videos of epic and win
WAR
UKCS Sponsor

Player: warhuryeah.gg
STEAM_0:1:18284023

Postby EWJ on Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:23 am

CraKinShOt wrote:Can you send messages over the Steam Group? That at least will get the 60k+ regulars on board with the change pretty quickly.

I wouldn't over think the severity of the favourites in steam... if memory serves I have had to re-enter the favourites numerous times after a steam update.

Cracking idea crakin. :D easily the best way to get the news around.
EWJ
Old Timer
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Postby woogie on Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:12 pm

As soon as TC knows the new IP's, I imagine they will be sent to steam group members, put in the server info, server messages, and hopefully some admins will do in game messages with the new IP's closer to the time of switch over.

Will all the IP's change in one fell swoop, or can you stagger the change at all?

woogie
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: Woogie
STEAM_0:1:6203061

Postby Gh0st.IRE on Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:42 pm

EWJ wrote:
CraKinShOt wrote:Can you send messages over the Steam Group? That at least will get the 60k+ regulars on board with the change pretty quickly.

Cracking idea crakin. :D easily the best way to get the news around.

Or we can paint the info onto Jim's stomach let him run naked around the world :twisted:

I reckon ingame ad;s with this information and the Steam Group and the E-mails combined will get us through this!
Ex-TF2 Admin. Forum Moderator. Add me on Steam or PM me here!
Heresy MMO Guild Member.
Gh0st.IRE

Player: Rear Naked Bugs
STEAM_0:0:12137987

Postby EWJ on Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:04 pm

Thats a brilliant idea!...i'll do that where's matt thingy but with me naked and the ukcs Information on my naked body.. :D
EWJ
Old Timer
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Postby sphinx on Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:22 pm

this shit is fucked up, but i'll be going through my friends list posting all the new IP's then
Last edited by sphinx on Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sphinx
Old Timer

Player: Sphinx.
STEAM_0:0:8528594

Postby CartmanPT on Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:01 pm

Thats crap, I hope we wont loose players because of that.

We should make sprays, saying that the IP's of the servers will change and then spray all over the maps. 8)

---- Edit ----

Can I start spraying away with this one? :wink:

Last edited by CartmanPT on Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Greetings!
Im Cartman of the Tauri from the planet Earth.
CartmanPT
UKCS Sponsor

Player: CartmanPT
STEAM_0:0:2670333

Postby Gh0st.IRE on Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:52 pm

If you can, I will aswell Cartman, The more information the better!
Ex-TF2 Admin. Forum Moderator. Add me on Steam or PM me here!
Heresy MMO Guild Member.
Gh0st.IRE

Player: Rear Naked Bugs
STEAM_0:0:12137987

Postby DeanX on Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:34 pm

if you can turn that into a spray for 1.6 ill happily use it too, i wouldnt want the 1.6 server to suffer again
*UKCS Old School*
DeanX
UKCS Admin

Player: DeanX
STEAM_0:0:4858412

Postby CartmanPT on Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:07 am

Just wait for TC's confirmation and if he would like to add anything else. Then i'll give you the file, but I dont know how to do it for CS.
Greetings!
Im Cartman of the Tauri from the planet Earth.
CartmanPT
UKCS Sponsor

Player: CartmanPT
STEAM_0:0:2670333

Next

Return to Announcements