Valve have partnered with UK retailer GAME to sell Steam Wal

Forum and server announcements by Admins.

Valve have partnered with UK retailer GAME to sell Steam Wal

Postby dmc25_uk on Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:20 pm

UK retailer GAME… you remember GAME right? You had to go there back when games came in boxes. You’d dig past the rows and rows of console releases, wade through stands full of pre-owned games, and there, in the back corner, was a dusty shelf full of expansion packs for The Sims and driving test quiz software. Sometimes there was also a rotating display where you could nab three truck simulator games for a tenner.

Anyway, they’re taking a step towards our digital future by stocking Steam Wallet cards in stores, from today, that let you purchase one-use codes in denominations of £5, £10, £15 and £20. According to GAME’s CEO Martyn Gibbs, “this is the latest initiative offering unrivalled value, range and ease of obtaining digital content for our UK gaming community.”

Unrivalled value, range and ease? I’m at my computer right now, making topping up my Steam account (or just buying a game directly) pretty damn easy. Except, the move isn’t aimed at people who already have a direct link to the Steam games pipe. It’s for family members looking to buy presents without running through the technological minefield of game gifting, or for kids without credit cards or adults sensible enough not to put there details onto the store only to be tempted by every one of their damn sales.

Basically while it’s unlikely to get many established PC gamers back into GAME, it does promise to extend Steam’s already frightening reach even further. And the cards are only the first part of the planned GAME/Steam partnership. Martyn Gibbs again: “The partnership forms a significant part of our increased offering for any PC gamer which will also include a full digital catalogue available on tablets in store to browse and new ways to pay for digital downloads, making the process easier and more secure than ever.”

dmc25_uk
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: dave25_uk
STEAM_0:0:1684228

Re: Valve have partnered with UK retailer GAME to sell Steam

Postby Phoenicia on Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:44 am

it should be a good opportunity for those wanting to purchase steam games but are not of age for credit card usage.
Phoenicia

Player: Pho
STEAM_0:0:5180655

Postby Dauntless on Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:01 pm

I'm all for this tbh, there are a few members of teh family that get me game vouchers where I would prefer steam vouchers.
Dauntless
Senior Admin

Player: Dauntless
STEAM_0:1:19137211

Postby sweetamber92 on Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:37 pm

I reckon game should do a service where u can walk in with an external and download the game in store, as it takes me a good couple of days to download sizable games with my horrendous internet connection, it would be allot easier if i could get it plopped on a stick so i could take it home and install. also then i wouldn't have as many cd's kicking around.
sweetamber92
UKCS Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Sweetamber92
STEAM_0:0:27295044

Postby Binerexis on Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:28 am

I think a better service GAME could provide is the actual sale of games.
"Everyone just shut up and enjoy your arena."
"...But we don't enjoy aren-"
"SHUT UP AND ENJOY YOUR ARENA!"
Part three of my quest to lose my sanity

"Bin would get my Unusual hatz since he's the coolest, bravest, smartest and toughest admin." - Bruce Willis
Binerexis
Old Timer
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Extrodisian
STEAM_0:0:19678834

Postby JayyJayy on Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:32 am

Since when did GAME not sell games?
|And on that day the dead shall rise|

JayyJayy
UKCS Sponsor
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: JayyJayy
STEAM_0:1:27264480

Postby 13th Nightmare on Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:52 pm

This could help me out when it comes to getting presents from my family as they never know what to get me. So I can just point them to GAME and say, get me that
Heaven Doesn't Want Me. And Hell Is Afraid I'll Take Over
13th Nightmare
Senior Admin
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: 13th @ i55
STEAM_0:1:23426932

Postby renegade_master on Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:32 pm

I went to burton upon trent once and brought an x-box 360 when they first came out, I logged online and to my amazement it had already been registered. On contacting xbox they told me the shop game had sold me a second hand xbox.

since that day i havent spent a dime on the shop game and i always shop online now.

I have my reservations about game from my own personal experience, I just hope they have improved!
renegade_master
Home Member

Player: Renegade_Master
STEAM_0:1:8405460

Return to Announcements