Infected Playing Tips

Forum for discussing Left 4 Dead and Left 4 Dead 2.

Infected Playing Tips

Postby CraKinShOt on Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:42 am

Outline some tips on how to best play the infected.

As Hunter:
  • Attack isolated survivors first.
  • If in open areas and need to cover large distances, pounce into the air.
  • If someone else has pinned a survivor, attack the other survivors trying to save them.

As boomer:
  • Try to vomit on as many as possible. (attack groups)
  • Try to vomit on survivors in areas where there are many zombies around
  • Its best to attack survivors as they turn corners.
  • Avoid line of sight with survivors until ready to attack

As Smoker:
  • Attack isolated survivors first
  • Attack the rear survivor, as the group moves away from you.
  • If applicable attack survivors such that you are near hidden from few (roofs, through doors, etc)
  • Attack survivors that are attempting to save another survivor.

As Tank:
  • Avoid large open areas if possible.
  • Wait until the group is being attacked by the hoard if possible
  • Always attack a person until they are on the ground incapacitated.
  • Throw the bolder at groups to slow them down.

If the tank spawns in, the hunter and smoker should hang back until there is enough confusion and breakup of the survivor group, before attacking. Once the Tank is among the survivor group they will be giving it the majority of their attention and this is the ideal time to attack isolated survivors, Or the survivors not being attacked by the tank.
The boomer should try to vomit on the survivors as soon as possible to add in even more confusion.
CraKinShOt
UKCS Life Sponsor
Exec. Admin (Retired)
Major Forum Contributor

Player: Chubby Boy
STEAM_0:1:2985790

Re: Infected Playing Tips

Postby Elysium on Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:41 am

Nice tips there Crak.
Some of them are common sense for an infected, so they don't need to be there.

For the Boomer, hiding around corners is too obvious for some people now. What makes it worst is the fat git makes so much noise, the survivors checks the corners with caution. They need to make the vomit gauge faster or make him lose a bit of weight.

Elysium
UKCS Sponsor

Player: Elysium
STEAM_0:0:405603

Postby CraKinShOt on Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:39 pm

Well you don't actually spawn until they are moving toward you that way you don't make any noise until its too late for them.
CraKinShOt
UKCS Life Sponsor
Exec. Admin (Retired)
Major Forum Contributor

Postby Bob the Crab on Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:42 pm

Always try to take out the one running behind, or the guy rushing in front. If they stick together at all times it's best to attack at the same time with the other infected. Sounds obvious but i see a lot of people just rushing into the survivors on there own, and ofcourse they get killed in 2 seconds and did maybe 10 damage...

Bob the Crab
UKCS Sponsor

Player: BRUDDHA

Postby Flare on Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:34 pm

I havent actually tried playing versus yet so feel free to call me a wally if I am off the ball here...

I was wondering if the Boomers vomit would be less effective if it hits multiple targets, after all the triggered horde would be dispersed amongst all the tagged Survivors...instead of concentrating on the sole target. If the other survivors try shield the tagged one they would be focused on the horde and should be pretty easy to drag away a sole victim during the rukus.
Sometimes keeping an eye on your stats is not a good thing :P

Some things are painfully obvious, others must be made obvious... painfully
Flare
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: Flare
STEAM_0:0:690038

Postby CraKinShOt on Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:43 pm

I think it calls a few more zombies though, not 100% about this though. Also the hord will only attack the ones you vomit on, the other can simply stand in the way and defend them.
CraKinShOt
UKCS Life Sponsor
Exec. Admin (Retired)
Major Forum Contributor

Postby Logic3 on Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:16 pm

The spawn systems a bit weird

Hunters can spawn behind a tree right next to you and pwn you :(
Image --- Click to add me on Steam Friends!

Logic3
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: Logic ☂- James
STEAM_0:1:13240398

Postby G on Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:24 pm

what i didnt like is the amount of damage you do as an infected, or lack of damage is a better way of saying it. only time i did damage is when i was the tank, mauled their whole team (including mclovin) with jihn screaming "GO ON G" lol
G
Experienced Member

Player: FuNKmAsTeR G
STEAM_0:0:10548440

Postby alias on Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:31 pm

I have made the same sort of list for the survivor team :)

Still, i found some important things you have to keep in mind. Tanks in versus mode die based on time if they dont hit players (it will tell you when that is the case). As tank you still have 8000 hp which means rushing tactics are highly effective. Also, people that are knocked on the floor cant be hit by you again.

This are major diffirences compared to co-op mode just to make versus more interesting. Otherwise the tank would allways couse a win for the infected. and as they show up in any map this would be a bad thing.

Hunters can spawn behind a tree right next to you and pwn you

Also, you cant spawn everywhere, even as hunter. The system checks where the survivor team walked and where they watched to. based on that info it says wether you are allowed to spawn there or not. So a team that only watches their front can indeed recieve such attacks but a team that watched that area a few seconds ago wont have that as it takes some more time for you to be able to spawn there.

or lack of damage is a better way of saying it

btw, the lack of damage is simply because you need to have fully catched the player before you deal damage. This means you need to plan mass attacks as the infected team. I know this is hard in the beginning but when people know how the infected work they can deal alot more damage.
Now on the workshop!
Image Image

Currently working on: MvM Intercept (2nd place on phase 1 (layout stage) of the TF2Maps contest)
Add me to steamfriends (click here)
alias
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: Alias
STEAM_0:0:2502992

Postby Nelsaidi on Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:04 pm

Playing as infected sounds AWESOME!
Nelsaidi
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: batman
STEAM_0:1:11977681

Postby LuckyNV on Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:40 pm

G wrote:what i didnt like is the amount of damage you do as an infected, or lack of damage is a better way of saying it. only time i did damage is when i was the tank, mauled their whole team (including mclovin) with jihn screaming "GO ON G" lol

I think it depends on the server

I've played Versus on No Mercy and Blood Harvest (4th campaign) and it was only on normal setting so infected do very little damage, 3hp per hit or so.

But also played Blood Harvest on expert and any hit is worth 20hp even from the regular infected.

I think I prefer it on Normal or Advanced at most, Expert is way too annoying, 1 infected mob can cripple your team.
LuckyNV
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: LNV IS HE MAD?!
STEAM_0:1:4677295

Postby Flare on Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:11 pm

1 general Tip : Infected are also effected by FF (found this out when I squished a Hunter as a Tank by dropping a boulder on his victim, the Hunter died )

Hunters - You need to crouch to attack but you make more noise when you wait crouched, try to crouch only when you are ready to attack.

Boomers - Dropping from heights will cause you to explode, if you explode in the middle of the survivors they will get tagged (Fatman Bomb - Macdooooooonaaaaaaaldsssss *splat*)

Smokers - Co ordinate with a Hunter and drag a victim for him to nab
- When you die you leave a smoke screen , you can use that to diminish the vision of the survivors in a enclosed space.

All Infected - There are climb points all over the map, marked out by a animate texture on the point, and there are breakable walls with you melee to break through. (seems obvious but some players have asked :D ).
If the Survivor team has a bot player you cant effectively hide in trees and other vison obscuring objects, the bot will nail you (bugger)... its also bloody accurate.
Sometimes keeping an eye on your stats is not a good thing :P

Some things are painfully obvious, others must be made obvious... painfully
Flare
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: Flare
STEAM_0:0:690038

Postby alias on Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:23 pm

If you play in versus mode you wont get bots as the infected. Instead you get shorter respawns (1 infected player has 5 sec respawns. when the team has 4 this is 30 seconds). Still, the respawn times dont increase linear. simply as when you are with more you can have more alive at the same time. try to kill a player while alone. nearly impossible unless they startle a witch.

btw, not all infected have FF as far as i know. The tank has it of course, even in co-op it kills zombies in front of him to clear the way.

btw, if im right you as tank are able to smash thru a few more walls (not tested but in co-op the tanks can).

And to clear up damage. normal hits allways do the same damage. special attacks vary depending on the difficulty. the difficulty also decides the size of hordes.

Another hint for hunters. when people are in a open area and you need to spawn far away you can crouch and jump to move faster. and you are able to walljump.
Now on the workshop!
Image Image

Currently working on: MvM Intercept (2nd place on phase 1 (layout stage) of the TF2Maps contest)
Add me to steamfriends (click here)
alias
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: Alias
STEAM_0:0:2502992

Postby Bob the Crab on Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:04 am

alias wrote:As tank you still have 8000 hp which means rushing tactics are highly effective. Also, people that are knocked on the floor cant be hit by you again.

Hm how do you get the "all 4 dead" achievement then? (kill all 4 survivors in one life as a tank) or does knocking them down count as a kill?

Bob the Crab
UKCS Sponsor

Postby LuckyNV on Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:29 am

you just have to incapacitate them
LuckyNV
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: LNV IS HE MAD?!
STEAM_0:1:4677295

Postby G on Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:38 pm

playing as the infected is the SHIT lol, im getting good as a hunter. stalking my prey and [picking one off. namely ski in that game we just had lol. not too badas smoker too, and boomer is just suicide sick on the face :P just get somewhere where atleast if they kill u before he sicks on them then u might xplode over them
G
Experienced Member

Player: FuNKmAsTeR G
STEAM_0:0:10548440

Postby colossuss on Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:58 am

Bob the Crab wrote:Hm how do you get the "all 4 dead" achievement then? (kill all 4 survivors in one life as a tank) or does knocking them down count as a kill?

Well if you knock them all down then the game is over for them; they can't get back up and therefore they should be dead.
'
'
colossuss
UKCS Sponsor

Player: Colossuss
STEAM_0:1:20166590

Postby Bob the Crab on Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:18 am

I always kept hitting people as a tank and was wondering why they would never die lol

Bob the Crab
UKCS Sponsor

Postby Nelsaidi on Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:40 am

Yeah, i went crazy and killed my downers :D

Best strategy is when all 4 infected work together, all spawn on a roof top or something,, and attack together, in the games ive played its extremely effective.
Nelsaidi
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: batman
STEAM_0:1:11977681

Postby Azzy on Sat Nov 22, 2008 1:57 pm

nice tips crackin, I still aint too clued up on what to do and don't enjoy being the infected very much.

Nels, what are downers?
Forum Moderator
CSS Admin
Use the UKCS Uploader to upload images/files.
Azzy
UKCS Admin

Player: Azzy
STEAM_0:1:7114108

Next

Return to UKCS : Left 4 Dead Chat