Survivors Playing Tips

Forum for discussing Left 4 Dead and Left 4 Dead 2.

Survivors Playing Tips

Postby alias on Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:22 pm

In response to: viewtopic.php?f=78&t=38314

Many of these tips were already known in the demo. Its still usefull to the ones that havent tried the demo or barely play the game anyway.

I just noticed that some of these hints are outdated! Some stuff changed by the updates

Both gamemodes
  • Allways have 2 shotgun/sniper players. As the smg and m16 arent able to shoot thru zombies hordes that well as the shotgun or sniper.
  • When you are near death and a teammate is down try to reach the finish when you are close. A death teammate isnt as bad as dieing completely. When playing co-op it also results in them having 50hp again without bleeding while reviving them could give them much worse.
  • Use melee attacks. It makes zombies unable to attack for at least 1 second. Further it can prevent you getting puked over by the boomer explosion
  • You can free players by meleeing them. Many people forget this against smokers.
  • When dead you can still talk to teammates with both text and voice chat, make use of this by telling zombie locations or notify them of your respawn place.
  • The respawn allways takes the same time for all players (note that in some areas you cant respawn). If 2 players died quickly after each other they both will quickly get respawned after each other.
  • Allways have full pistol ammo when possible. The 30 extra shots when on the floor can save you from horde attacks.
  • Use molotovs for tanks, its very strong against them
  • Use pipebombs to defend against people that have been puked over. it reduces the ammount of zombies that attack him.
  • Listen to the music, they usualy tell whats about to happen. They usualy let you know when a tank comes about 30 seconds before he realy arrived at you. The music also tells the type of event (horde, tank, witch or whatever).
  • Melee attacks don't stop the reloading process. This means you can still defend while reloading
  • Try to avoid getting your weapon fully empty (counts for ALL weapons). When there is still a bullet in the chamber it means you dont have to cock (or how its spelled) the weapon again which can just save you for the last seconds.
  • Use map objects like petrol tanks or gas tanks. they can save you from using a molotov of pipebomb
  • Throwing a petrol or gas tank into fire couses them to explode/ignite. This can be usefull if you want a chain reaction
  • When a witch is realy close but not blocking a round walking slowly next to it lowers the chance you startle it. And if you need to shoot at enemys then use the pistols (normal weapons make more sound cousing it to go mad also).
  • The witch ONLY attacks the one who startled her. After that she leaves, there is no need to kill her when this happens. Still, blocking her way isnt smart when she runs (i dont know if it does damage but at least it stuns you for a few seconds).
  • Hitting the smoker tongue with bullets or melee will also free the survivor (and even the one being attacked by the smoker can do this)
  • Note that a pouncing hunter can bounce away people just like the boomer can. Its better to take some distance during the attack and instantly melee him after it. In a normal attack the hunter takes a little bit of time before it damages the player so there is enough time to melee him of as soon as he is on. Note that a hunter that strikes from a higher place does instant damage on impact so also watch where he attacks from.
  • You can hear when a special infected is close and even hear which type it is by listening how it sounds (can be a bit hard in the beginning)
  • You can hear that a smoker is somewhere close when the director plays a slow and bass containing sound
  • You can hear that a boomer is somewhere close when the director plays a fast and bass containing sound
  • You can hear that a hunteris somewhere close when the director plays a high tuned sound
  • When running forward you are faster then a tank when at 40+ health, for backward this is more like 60 (dont know the exact number)

CO-OP Mode
  • Allways move in groups of 2 by 2 at least and allways make sure you can reach each other fast enough in case you both get overwhelmed
  • Help teammats to get back to their dropped weapons. This makes it easier for later battles
  • Save medkits as long as possible. Its better to be knocked down once first before using them. and when you are knocked down and have pills use them first. The most efficient time is when your vision turns gray as then you can become knocked down twice again before reaching gray vision again.
  • When there are bots in the game try to avoid them getting any health. Bots usualy waste health (i realy hate it when im at 30 health without bleeding and they heal me - i usualy shout at players when they get those ideas already just to let them learn the game faster).
  • When you are allmost dead and dont have any special stuff it might be better to die instead of reaching the safehouse (as long as 1 player is alive). In the next level you will start with 50hp again without bleeding. It can save your team from using a medkit in the start. Just make sure to plan these events with your teammates or they might kick you for being stupid while you actualy did a smart thing (unless you are playing to get an achievement - some require you to keep alive the complete campaign).
  • When a player dies you can sometimes wait for them to respawn without having to move up. This is usualy the case when you had to press a button or something to start a horde.
  • All zombies have the same ammount of hitpoints on all skill levels, only the damage changes (except for the tank where hp increases ~2000 per skill level - i dont know the exact numbers). On expert the witch ALLWAYS makes a 1 hit kill attack.
  • You can get the attention from tanks by meleeing them or by getting between the player he was aiming for. It isnt allways clear when he started chasing you so there is a risk you did the wrong thing. But it can result into saving your teammate from getting killed. Still, its unrecommended
  • In front of finales (when the radio has been triggered once) respawns are alot faster and the respawn rooms can be reused. So it can give an advantage to get killed just before one
  • A perfect shotgun shot in the face of a witch instantly kills her. It also is required to be performed for an achievement. It however is hard to perform so unrecommended to try it in most cases
  • Tanks like to use the shortest way, and climbing slows him down most of all
  • Meleeing a tank in the back couses it to attack you instead of its previous target. This isnt allways after 1 hit though so react fast if he changes target as he is faster then you many times
  • Burning tanks run faster! where normaly you can outrun him at 40 HP you then need 60 (80 for backward)

Versus Mode
  • Allways move as a group of 4 to prevent the infected being able to mass attack you.
  • Tanks can show up in any level (unlike co-op). Allways be prepared to face one.
  • Watch for all corners. The infected usualy prefer to attack from behind where in co-op a clear area usualy remains clear (unless the director activates a panic event which spawns hordes from all sides).
  • Try to avoid bleeding status. A higher HP means a faster walking speed.
  • Move alot. This makes it a bit harder for smokers and hunters to hit you.
  • Rush as a team. This makes the infected get less respawns making it easier. Also, activate map events as fast as possible to save time also. Even if your team has a hard time already. If they have it hard its not going to become easier if you wait for a safe moment as the infected anoy you at all times.
  • If possible try to finish with that single more player. if you reach the exit the score gets multiplied by the ammount of survivors that reached the exit.
  • You cannot respawn when you die.
  • Dont go to the exit alone. Even if you manage to reach it alone it doesnt result in extra points.
  • When you walk slowly or stand still the infected wont see your outline after a while (it slowly disappears then). Still, keep in mind that when they respawn (in ghost mode) they allways see where you are no matter how stealthy you are.
  • Dont bother in healing when you are in the safehouse and the door is still open. Any health pack that you have left is automaticly counted in the score. So just close the door when you reached it.
  • Use health whenever you are on low life. If you are the only one left pills are recommended to be used first as they are quicker (less chance that you get overwhelmed while using one). If there is cover health packs are more effective
  • If you were infected in the last round you already know the tank and witch moments. Make use of that
  • In versus the autoshotgun is alot weaker against tanks. Unlike in co-op all weapons are as good as other ones in battling the tank
  • Avoid edges of buildings in tank battles, unlike in co-op tanks are smarter and will try to knock you off the edge
  • Touch the finale radios as fast as possible. As soon as you touch them once the director wont start panic attacks that fast giving you a bit more time to heal up. It also saves you from waiting to listen until its finished.
  • You can melee hunters out of the air much easier then in co-op.
  • Smokers damage you faster then in co-op, if you are paralized it does 2 damage a second.
  • Allways burn the tank when possible. It couses massive damage
  • In regards to playing style, an agreement should be reached in the lobby beforehand on any particular playing style or rules of engagment ingame. For example: no closet camping or random teams. If an agreement is not reached then any method of playing the game is allowed.
  • Melee spam couses you to run out of melee stamina. Dont spam it when you dont have to!

For versus the point calculating system: (I know you can show it ingame also but ill add details)
Average distance passed
This is the distance all players passed in % / 4. This means that if you finish as loner you only add 25% to here. It might be slightly diffirent that it can be checked on 3 survivors but at least it makes it clear that going alone doesnt add a huge ammount of points. In the final battles the distance reached only counts to the moment you press the button (which is allways at 100%).
Health Bonus
This is the health that all people have at the moment they reach the safehouse * 0.5. Any healthpack or pills you have left is automaticly counted in this. In other words, each player that survives can get a maximum score of 50.
I dont know about bleeding HP, it probably counts with it but it might be less than 0.5 per hp for that.
Surviving multiplier
All survivors add x1 to the multiplier.
All players dead is x1 in total also. again it shows going loner doesnt have any use.
Map difficulty
The first stage is allways x1 and the last allways x2. In between stages can vary from 1.3 to 1.6

The final sum is:
(Average distance passed + Health Bonus) * Surviving multiplier * Map difficulty

Zombie health values: (similar for all difficultys except for tank)
Normal zombie: 50
Boomer: 50
Hunter: 250
Smoker: 250
Witch: 1000
Tank: 4000 (on normal)
Tank: 6000 (on advanced and in versus)
Tank: 8000 (on expert)

Zombie attack values:
Easy
Normal zombie: 1 or 2
Boomer: ?
Hunter: ?
Smoker: ?
Witch: ?
Tank: ?
Normal (same for versus)
Normal zombie: 2
Boomer: 2
Hunter: 3/4 (normal hit 2)
Smoker: 3/4 (normal hit 2)
Witch: instant incap, ~30 damage per second
Tank: 30 (rock 20-30?)
Advanced
Normal zombie: 2-5?
Boomer: ?
Hunter: ~10 (normal hit ~5?)
Smoker: ~10 (normal hit ~5?)
Witch: instant incap, ~50-100 damage per second
Tank: ~80 (rock ~40?)
Expert
Normal zombie: 10
Boomer: 10
Hunter: 30 (normal hit 20?)
Smoker: 30 (normal hit 20?)
Witch: instant death
Tank: 180 (rock ~60-100?)
Many of these values arent confirmed. Those are marked with ?

Weapon damage values: (italic means im not sure about that value)
Shove: 10 - Good in defense against hordes
Shove in the back: 50+ (im guessing somewhere arround 200) - Quite useless sneak attack
Pistol: 35 (15 rounds each) - low piercing - More usefull for long range as shotgun player. allways good on the floor
SMG: 33 (50 rounds) - low piercing - Usefull at long range, bad against hordes
Shotgun: 25 per pellet, 10 pellets (8 rounds) - medium piercing - usefull against hordes and other short range attacks
M16: 45 (50 rounds) - low piercing - Usefull against special infected (including tank). Bad against hordes
Autoshotgun: 25 per pellet 12 pellets (10 rounds) - medium piercing - Extremely usefull against hordes, average on tanks due to required fire range
Sniper: 90 (15 rounds) - extreme piercing - Usefull on long range, worst tier 2 weapon against tanks
A dead zombie doesnt block any bullets.
Also note that damage varies on the body parts you hit (exception for the tank). Headshots are 1 hit kill with any weapon.
Last edited by alias on Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:51 pm, edited 19 times in total.
Reason: Added more hints and explained the versus points
Now on the workshop!
Image Image

Currently working on: MvM Intercept (2nd place on phase 1 (layout stage) of the TF2Maps contest)
Add me to steamfriends (click here)
alias
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: Alias
STEAM_0:0:2502992

Re: Survivors Playing Tips

Postby EvolvedMonkey on Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:13 pm

I thought it was run or shoot? Or both?

But seriously. Nice tips alias.
But I'm feeling good, And if you don't exist, you're still one illusion that I can't resist
EvolvedMonkey
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: EvolvedMonkey
STEAM_0:0:183417

Postby Azzy on Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:22 pm

SMG is more fun. Racing towards enemies spraying bullets and your team, what more can you ask for?

Nice tips though. Sniper is fun to use :D
Forum Moderator
CSS Admin
Use the UKCS Uploader to upload images/files.
Azzy
UKCS Admin

Player: Azzy
STEAM_0:1:7114108

Postby Nelsaidi on Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:04 pm

Can you still melee while reloading?
Nelsaidi
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: batman
STEAM_0:1:11977681

Postby Cobra on Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:05 pm

Yes.

Cobra
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: Cobra^Trinity
STEAM_0:0:2543793

Postby LuckyNV on Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:44 pm

M16/Uzi does go through bodies, had double 1 bullet headshots on infected many times when they're just standing around in a line

A horde thundering down a narrow passage like in a train carriage you can see how effective an M16, don't full auto on it, just burst depending on the urgency.
LuckyNV
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: LNV IS HE MAD?!
STEAM_0:1:4677295

Postby EWJ on Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:49 pm

i'd love to short burst things but all I do is wet meself close my eyes and spray like a coward...:D
God is a defect of the human genome.
Earthwormjim hes such a groovy guy,
Earthwormjim he rockets thru the sky,
EWJ
Old Timer
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Mr EWJ ®
STEAM_0:1:3498984

Postby alias on Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:17 pm

LuckyNV wrote:M16/Uzi does go through bodies, had double 1 bullet headshots on infected many times when they're just standing around in a line

The uzi doesnt. Same was for the m16 in the demo but they probably changed that.
LuckyNV wrote:A horde thundering down a narrow passage like in a train carriage you can see how effective an M16, don't full auto on it, just burst depending on the urgency.

Compare that to a shotgun. even the basic shotgun can kill a horde of 1000 zombies easily (where normaly you have hordes of 75). The sniper has the best penetration as if 1000 zombies are in a row you probably need like ~5 bullets.
Now on the workshop!
Image Image

Currently working on: MvM Intercept (2nd place on phase 1 (layout stage) of the TF2Maps contest)
Add me to steamfriends (click here)
alias
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: Alias
STEAM_0:0:2502992

Postby G on Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:28 am

hunting rifle wins hands down, best gun for range and still awesome in close combat
G
Experienced Member

Player: FuNKmAsTeR G
STEAM_0:0:10548440

Postby CraKinShOt on Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:37 pm

How do you zoom in?
CraKinShOt
UKCS Life Sponsor
Exec. Admin (Retired)
Major Forum Contributor

Player: Chubby Boy
STEAM_0:1:2985790

Postby LuckyNV on Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:11 pm

default is mouse3 which is mouse wheel button on my MX518

otherwise you can set it in options
LuckyNV
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: LNV IS HE MAD?!
STEAM_0:1:4677295

Postby G on Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:39 pm

i couldnt zoom in at 1st, as i had changed my mic button to mouse 3 :P but the gun is eqaully as good without it zoomed in. got it set to mouse4 now
G
Experienced Member

Player: FuNKmAsTeR G
STEAM_0:0:10548440

Postby Logic3 on Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:32 am

Rushing is clearly the best option lol :D

It's every man (or woman) for themselves!
Image --- Click to add me on Steam Friends!

Logic3
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: Logic ☂- James
STEAM_0:1:13240398

Postby CraKinShOt on Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:36 am

1 guy did that one a server I played on and the rest of us kicked him.
CraKinShOt
UKCS Life Sponsor
Exec. Admin (Retired)
Major Forum Contributor

Postby Logic3 on Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:43 am

:O why?! last night i rushed and was the only one left, problem was i was so busy thinking about where the safe house was that i ran directly into a which lol!
Image --- Click to add me on Steam Friends!

Logic3
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: Logic ☂- James
STEAM_0:1:13240398

Postby Flare on Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:16 am

Rushing is a gamble, usually a fatal one... all it takes is for 1 hunter or smoker to nab the rusher and the team is down by 1 permanantly.
Even if the rusher actually succeeds, the rest of the team is still short a member and must proceed with reduced firepower and less protection.

In VS mode you get a multiplier bonus on how many survivors make it.

I would also kick a Rusher.

NOTE: By Rusher I mean a player that takes off by him/herself at the start of a round leaving the rest. I would also frown at at guy who legs it for the safehouse and abandons his teammates too early, sure there are times when its best to have at least 1 guy make it... but the situation must be very grim.
I am a bit stubborn that way, I dont leave team mates :oops:
Sometimes keeping an eye on your stats is not a good thing :P

Some things are painfully obvious, others must be made obvious... painfully
Flare
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: Flare
STEAM_0:0:690038

Postby CraKinShOt on Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:37 am

CraKinShOt wrote:1 guy did that one a server I played on and the rest of us kicked him.

Well because essentially they ran through the level, tripped everything that started a hoard and left us to fight it all while they stood in the safe room.
CraKinShOt
UKCS Life Sponsor
Exec. Admin (Retired)
Major Forum Contributor

Postby .CakeE on Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:02 pm

Okay, here's a really useful tip.

As long as you aren't limping you'll outrun the Tank as long as you turn around first. Tell your friends who're shooting the Hulk-wannabe to tell you if he's grabbing a block.

And avoid the damn cars!

.CakeE

Postby Trev on Sun Nov 23, 2008 4:58 pm

my all time best tip ever, which has already been sort of mentioned:-

when you are reloading, melee attack does not stop the reloading process. you can run out of bullets for your pistols, reload, keep on hitting the infected and the reload will not reset or stop. saved me loads of times!
UKCS Life Sponsor - Bovine Ambassador - Return of the Bovine

**join the UKCS Last.FM group!**
Trev
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: Trev MD
STEAM_0:1:261844

Postby Elysium on Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:59 pm

Melee attack the Boomer before shooting him... ffs

People i know it is your first reaction to blow up the fat bastard, but please, resist it. Push him back far enough then shoot him between the eyes.

There have been many situations where i'm playing and the whole team is running along then someone panics and shoots the Boomer head on while we're so close to each other. Straight away his explosion covers all of us and we're doomed.

Elysium
UKCS Sponsor

Player: Elysium
STEAM_0:0:405603

Next

Return to UKCS : Left 4 Dead Chat