Survivors Playing Tips

Forum for discussing Left 4 Dead and Left 4 Dead 2.

Re: Survivors Playing Tips

Postby LuckyNV on Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:31 pm

Careful with over-shoving, depending on difficulty, I think 5 shoves on Normal and it'll explode
LuckyNV
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: LNV IS HE MAD?!
STEAM_0:1:4677295

Postby alias on Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:13 pm

The zombies all have the same hp in each difficulty. the difficulty only decides how many damage a hit from them does. Exception for the tank which has a hp increase per difficulty also (7500-8000 on expert, ~6000 on advanced and ~3500-4000 on normal). They also have a slight damage increase but thats minor. It only has more HP as a expert team can easily take distance and force the tank longer distances to walk. A team that can only handle everything on normal lacks those skills.

Also, the reason people shoot the boomer that fast is as they basicly find any zombie a threat. If the witch wouldnt make the cry sound the same would happen to it.
Now on the workshop!
Image Image

Currently working on: MvM Intercept (2nd place on phase 1 (layout stage) of the TF2Maps contest)
Add me to steamfriends (click here)
alias
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: Alias
STEAM_0:0:2502992

Postby Nelsaidi on Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:10 pm

Dont know if its there, but in versus as surviors, never leave the group, if someone has to go somewhere go with them. The hunters and smokers have a brain, and will guarantee a death if your about 10 seconds away from your group.
Nelsaidi
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: batman
STEAM_0:1:11977681

Postby alias on Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:36 pm

nelsaidi2 wrote:Dont know if its there

I call that blindness :P
1st point of the versus list followed by the last one:
Versus Mode
  • Allways move as a group of 4 to prevent the infected being able to mass attack you.
  • Dont go to the exit alone. Even if you manage to reach it alone it doesnt result in extra points.
Now on the workshop!
Image Image

Currently working on: MvM Intercept (2nd place on phase 1 (layout stage) of the TF2Maps contest)
alias
UKCS Life Sponsor

Postby Nelsaidi on Thu Nov 27, 2008 4:54 pm

Sometimes it is better for only one player to get to the exist, atleast on campaign or whatever.

(im ill so dont blame me :@)
Nelsaidi
UKCS Life Sponsor

Postby alias on Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:48 pm

nelsaidi2 wrote:Sometimes it is better for only one player to get to the exist, atleast on campaign or whatever.

and its clear you are ill as that point was also in the co-op list:
When you are allmost dead and dont have any special stuff it might be better to die instead of reaching the safehouse (as long as 1 player is alive). In the next level you will start with 50hp again without bleeding. It can save your team from using a medkit in the start. Just make sure to plan these events with your teammates or they might kick you for being stupid while you actualy did a smart thing (unless you are playing to get an achievement - some require you to keep alive the complete campaign).

Yes, my list contains alot already :P first read it before you tell me something :P. i might already know about the trick :)
Now on the workshop!
Image Image

alias
UKCS Life Sponsor

Postby Nelsaidi on Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:11 pm

nelsaidi2 wrote:Sometimes it is better for only one player to get to the exist, atleast on campaign or whatever.

I seriously dont remember posting that :O

But yeah, the list is pretty conclusive.
Nelsaidi
UKCS Life Sponsor

Postby alias on Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:51 pm

I added zombie health and weapon damage. It seems all weapons have minor piercing at least. still, the smg and m16 both have low piercing. the reason they are strong is because dead zombies dont block bullets. so 2 bullets a zombie is enough even if there are 50 dead bodies in front of it.

So you see the autoshotgun is the most weapon powerfull against a tank. a full load that fully hits deals 25*12*10=3000 damage. Still, from my experience the bullets usualy only hit for 2/3.

The m16 however is stronger then it seems with its 45 damage.A headshot is allways 1 hit kill for any weapon. And the m16 is the fastest in making those.
Now on the workshop!
Image Image

alias
UKCS Life Sponsor

Postby .CakeE on Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:16 am

If you don't move your outline will fade away, making it impossible for the infected to see you through walls (the outline is sound-based!). According to my friend, if you crouch or move slowly, you'll continue to walk in "stealth" mode (I haven't been able to confirm this though).

Shooting, healing and reloading makes you visible though, this I have been able to confirm.

So my tip is that the one moving last should be crouching or sneaking while checking behind the group (lights off of course). That way you should be able to kill more than one unsuspecting Infected hoping to sneak up on your team!

The m16 however is stronger then it seems with its 45 damage.A headshot is allways 1 hit kill for any weapon. And the m16 is the fastest in making those.

And that's why I'm a dedicated m16 user :mrgreen:

.CakeE

Postby alias on Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:52 pm

.CakeE wrote:If you don't move your outline will fade away, making it impossible for the infected to see you through walls (the outline is sound-based!). According to my friend, if you crouch or move slowly, you'll continue to walk in "stealth" mode (I haven't been able to confirm this though).

Shooting, healing and reloading makes you visible though, this I have been able to confirm.

So my tip is that the one moving last should be crouching or sneaking while checking behind the group (lights off of course). That way you should be able to kill more than one unsuspecting Infected hoping to sneak up on your team!

Thats one of the best hints i heard from others for VS so far :D Good to know it. And about that walking, its most likely true also. Still... its not hard to find stealthy players. You allways get respawned close to them as infected and when you wander away too far (must be a massive distance though) you can respawn close to them again.
Now on the workshop!
Image Image

alias
UKCS Life Sponsor

Postby CraKinShOt on Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:59 pm

Good tip against Tanks: Try to get them to follow you through windows (ones you have to crouch to get through). The tank moves VERY slowly while crouching.
CraKinShOt
UKCS Life Sponsor
Exec. Admin (Retired)
Major Forum Contributor

Player: Chubby Boy
STEAM_0:1:2985790

Postby .CakeE on Sat Dec 06, 2008 7:04 pm

Some more observations I've been able to do, or heard other people tell me.

Shoving the tank will aggravate it. Yeah, you heard me. Meleeing in the tank should turn its attention towards you (I bet most people aren't very inclined to do this). I'm fairly certain of this. That's how you're supposed to save downed comrades (prepare to run like a little girl though).

Furthermore, it should be possible to save a person strangled by a smoker by shooting the tongue. You can do this at a distance if you can't get an aim on the Smoker itself (say, if you're downed or whatnot). You should also be capable of meleeing the tongue when you yourself are about to get strangled, as long as you face the tongue. Oh yeah, one more thing. A strangled person shouldn't be a subject to any kind of FF (or so I heard from a friend), so feel free to spray away.

.CakeE

Postby alias on Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:33 am

.CakeE wrote:A strangled person shouldn't be a subject to any kind of FF (or so I heard from a friend), so feel free to spray away.

You can definitely TK/TA them during that time but when you hit them you usualy also free them. So dont think you can free them by just attacking them with a sniper rifle (i have missed the smoker once and instead made a headshot on my teammate resulting in a death for him)

You can indeed free yourself by meleeing
Now on the workshop!
Image Image

alias
UKCS Life Sponsor

Postby .CakeE on Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:47 pm

Alright, then I think I know how it works out.

As long as you hit the tongue spun around the survivor the survivor himself shouldn't take any damage.

.CakeE

Postby Mr Tortoise on Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:29 pm

dont try to kill tanks ... just molitov them

save your pain killers for when the tank appears take em and run.

30 secs later a dead tank and an award ....

Mr Tortoise
UKCS Sponsor

Player: Mr Tortoise
STEAM_0:1:5538686

Postby alias on Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:34 am

On normal it works but on expert youll usualy be ending up somewhere arround the start as those got double HP. Its best to keep close enough on them so you can spray your bullets on them and stay away far enough so he doesnt hit you. and avoid any object that he can throw away. Its also better to take an open area (so not alot of zombies get spawned) with a solid truck or something in the middle. This makes it possible to stay quite close to him which is good for a shotgun player while still being able to get away from rocks.

The shotgun damages the tank the fastest by a massive diffirence after all. for the normal shotgun its 2000 damage and for the autoshotgun its 3000 damage after a full magazine where all pellets did hit. the m16 does 2250 and the sniper does 1350 (but still hits objects behind the tank!). And you might already notice that this is one of the balancing things of the m16 as you can do the same as a shotgun player while keeping a much greater distance.

Tank battles arent just running. if you do then you will most likely get disrupted by a panic event of the director or a boomer (which then can turn out to be fatal). Also, the spawn door can be knocked out by a tank (due to a bug however there is a big chance he wont and will throw rocks instead). Note, the exit door cant so if you reached that while being chased you are rewarded anyway.
Now on the workshop!
Image Image

alias
UKCS Life Sponsor

Postby .CakeE on Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:48 pm

In my experiences, putting the tank on fire and then keeping your range works the best in Expert. You should of course be shooting at him at all available moments.

Staying at shotgun range is risky business though. To little wiggle space between massive damage and an early death.

It should really be team coordination that decides how you act when you meet a tank (the faster, more efficient ways might result in a wipe if the team doing it doesn't work well together)

.CakeE

Postby alias on Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:57 pm

The shotgun many times has to run in the start. This is because the shotgun needs a open field with a large object in the middle for its best effect. If its more like in the no mercy sewers then the m16 and sniper can be a bit more welcome. however, the shotgun can deal the most damage when death is unavoidable making your teammates able to kill it faster. The m16 is for most people the best thing for it as the sniper is weak against tanks. Only people that prefer the shotgun will be able to be effective with it.
Now on the workshop!
Image Image

alias
UKCS Life Sponsor

Postby 恶_Hughesy_恶 on Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:10 pm

On the no mercy campaign/versus mode on the level with the petrol station you can melee the metal borded door instead of having to press the button on the lift thing outside.
恶_Hughesy_恶
Recruit Member

Player: Hughesy
STEAM_0:1:16161430

Postby LuckyNV on Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:37 pm

恶_Hughesy_恶 wrote:On the no mercy campaign/versus mode on the level with the petrol station you can melee the metal borded door instead of having to press the button on the lift thing outside.

that's an exploit and will be fixed in the update (along with a whole boat load of things I hope)
LuckyNV
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: LNV IS HE MAD?!
STEAM_0:1:4677295

PreviousNext

Return to UKCS : Left 4 Dead Chat