Survivors Playing Tips

Forum for discussing Left 4 Dead and Left 4 Dead 2.

Re: Survivors Playing Tips

Postby UK_sniper on Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:41 pm

lucky u heard any rumours of dates yet?

i cant find anything slightly reliable yet! :(

kev
Long Time UKCS Supporter, Retired Mod & Snr Admin
UK_sniper
UKCS Life Sponsor
Admin (Retired)

Player: UK_Sniper
STEAM_0:0:6007153

Postby LuckyNV on Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:56 pm

after new years apparently, and its going to be a big one
LuckyNV
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: LNV IS HE MAD?!
STEAM_0:1:4677295

Postby 恶_Hughesy_恶 on Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:24 am

LuckyNV wrote:
恶_Hughesy_恶 wrote:On the no mercy campaign/versus mode on the level with the petrol station you can melee the metal borded door instead of having to press the button on the lift thing outside.

that's an exploit and will be fixed in the update (along with a whole boat load of things I hope)

lol damn :(
恶_Hughesy_恶
Recruit Member

Player: Hughesy
STEAM_0:1:16161430

Postby 恶_Hughesy_恶 on Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:21 pm

On versus you get more points at the end if you have an unused medipack in your inventory than using it to heal just before you close the door.
恶_Hughesy_恶
Recruit Member

Postby alias on Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:56 pm

恶_Hughesy_恶 wrote:On versus you get more points at the end if you have an unused medipack in your inventory than using it to heal just before you close the door.

This doesnt make any diffirence actualy if the team distributes it a smart way. However, its better to just close the door. The health allways gets given to the player with the least HP btw, thats the reason it looks like you get more health points from it.
Now on the workshop!
Image Image

Currently working on: MvM Intercept (2nd place on phase 1 (layout stage) of the TF2Maps contest)
Add me to steamfriends (click here)
alias
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: Alias
STEAM_0:0:2502992

Postby LuckyNV on Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:10 pm

alias wrote:
恶_Hughesy_恶 wrote:On versus you get more points at the end if you have an unused medipack in your inventory than using it to heal just before you close the door.

This doesnt make any diffirence actualy if the team distributes it a smart way. However, its better to just close the door. The health allways gets given to the player with the least HP btw, thats the reason it looks like you get more health points from it.

Yep its automatically calculated so that healthpacks and pills give the most HP bonus regardless of who is carrying it.

This means survivors can just run run run and close that door, also survivors should check around the area near the safe room, sometimes med packs and pills can be found

e.g. stage 1, blood harvest check the shelves and stage 3 No Mercy, check the 2 side rooms and the desk area for med packs and pills, usually people just dart off and leap over the desk.
LuckyNV
UKCS Life Sponsor

Postby 恶_Hughesy_恶 on Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:44 pm

On stage 4 on the no mercy campaign if you can get someone to standby the panel inside the life as your rising up and throw a pipebomb at his feet he will fall down the elevator and die (obviously waiting for a reasonable hieght before doing this).

Kind of funny to do this to your mate after a few beers.

My mate did it to me lol :(
恶_Hughesy_恶
Recruit Member

Postby Crudelitas[Ger] on Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:51 pm

never use your pipe bomb if you see a small horde...
i just used it,lured even more zombies and after it exploded a fatty barfed on meh -_-
Crudelitas[Ger]
UKCS Sponsor

Player: Crudelitas
STEAM_0:1:6579526

Postby LuckyNV on Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:59 pm

I prefer it if survivor players save the throwables when they truly need it, things like 3x-4x boomer spit in a difficult situation or the tank comes and there are regular infected getting in the way etc.... plus if the tank is stupid enough and the pipebomb explodes nearby the tank will be stunned for a few seconds and survivors can dps it.
Hate it when players just throw things just because they have it, I remember playing a random game where my 3 other team mates lobbed a pipe bomb each at the same time :\
LuckyNV
UKCS Life Sponsor

Postby colossuss on Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:05 pm

Hold crouch whilst your healing or picking someone up, that way your team mates can shoot over you.
'
'
colossuss
UKCS Sponsor

Player: Colossuss
STEAM_0:1:20166590

Postby alias on Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:33 pm

I have updated the hints again to contain a few more tips for all gametypes but mostly versus.
Now on the workshop!
Image Image

Currently working on: MvM Intercept (2nd place on phase 1 (layout stage) of the TF2Maps contest)
alias
UKCS Life Sponsor

Postby .CakeE on Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:17 pm

Oh yeah, here a tip that's IMPORTANT. Might have been mentioned before. Anyway, when the AI tank picks up a rock to throw at you, you should ZIGZAG.

I repeat. ZIGZAG when the tank picks up a rock.

The AI tank calculates your movements by assuming you'll run continuously in one direction. Making simple zigzaggig movements throws off its aim completely. Try it!

Also, to defeat an expert tank, just pick up a machinegun (uzi, m16) and retreat while shooting it. It slows down and you'll be relatively safe as it won't be able to catch up to you. You'll want something with a lot bullets because every bullet counts to slow him down (meanwhile, the shotty is remarkably bad at this strategy)

Since the molotov nerf people have finally started to fight the tank instead of running around like headless chickens :P

.CakeE

Postby alias on Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:44 pm

.CakeE wrote:Oh yeah, here a tip that's IMPORTANT. Might have been mentioned before. Anyway, when the AI tank picks up a rock to throw at you, you should ZIGZAG.

I repeat. ZIGZAG when the tank picks up a rock.

The AI tank calculates your movements by assuming you'll run continuously in one direction. Making simple zigzaggig movements throws off its aim completely. Try it!

Its still more recomended to take some cover. Zigzagging only works when you practice how to do it. The plain zigzag without correct timeing will still couse the rock to hit you.
.CakeE wrote:Also, to defeat an expert tank, just pick up a machinegun (uzi, m16) and retreat while shooting it. It slows down and you'll be relatively safe as it won't be able to catch up to you. You'll want something with a lot bullets because every bullet counts to slow him down (meanwhile, the shotty is remarkably bad at this strategy)

The shotgun is better for close range. Especialy a burning tank does get close and that makes the shotgun a much more effective weapon. However, noobs dont realize to NOT face the tank when they are running away and reloading. Running forward is faster than backward.
.CakeE wrote: Since the molotov nerf people have finally started to fight the tank instead of running around like headless chickens :P

Well, molotovs are still liked alot as they couse that bit of extra damage which is allways welcome. In co-op however there are indeed moments where its safer not to use a molotov due to the tank speed increase.
Now on the workshop!
Image Image

alias
UKCS Life Sponsor

Postby .CakeE on Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:58 am

alias wrote:Its still more recomended to take some cover. Zigzagging only works when you practice how to do it. The plain zigzag without correct timeing will still couse the rock to hit you.

Well obviously, putting something between yourself and the big flying rock is always preferable. I just pointed out the zigzagging because people who don't have anywhere to take cover have a tendency to just stay around and hope for the best. Well, the tank got an aimbot, the best is not going to happen.

alias wrote:The shotgun is better for close range. Especialy a burning tank does get close and that makes the shotgun a much more effective weapon. However, noobs dont realize to NOT face the tank when they are running away and reloading. Running forward is faster than backward.

I disagree.

Short term the shotgun will pump out more damage, and will be able to stall the tank just as well as a M16. And then you run out of ammo and have to start reloading while the m16 users continue to spray the tank, achieving consistent damage and stalling.

The payoff for that extra close range damage burst is too small, and frankly, you shouldn't be close range to a tank anyway.

alias wrote:Well, molotovs are still liked alot as they couse that bit of extra damage which is allways welcome. In co-op however there are indeed moments where its safer not to use a molotov due to the tank speed increase.

Yeah. The trick is to know when to do what.

.CakeE

Postby Blissnabob on Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:28 pm

As if anyone is going to think 'Oh I best not tov the tank!'. First reaction is set that b****rd on fire!

I normally play in a group with 3 autoshotties and 1 Assault rifle. This in combination with a decoy runner (who will most likely be incapped) will drop a burning tank in just a couple of clips/reloads. It boils my piss when the team I'm playing in run from the tank in ALL situations. There are some times when a direct confrontation is necessary and by the time the tank has cornered and started beating on one of your mates, you should have drilled the tank to at least half health. Obviously there will always be situations where you must run but I wish some would evaluate more carefully (aka GROW BALLS).

I'd also like to clear up a common misconception. The autoshotty is NOT weak against the tank. It was weakened , granted, but is still the highest damage dealing weapon at just outside of tank striking range.

I agree with .cakeE, if you have time and see the tank about to throw at you simply run one way (or stand still) as he throws then sidestep or change direction when it's in mid air.
ImageImage
Thanks to brutal, my Serbian homeboy for the sig.
Blissnabob

Player: [cFc] bliss
STEAM_0:0:9616370

Postby .CakeE on Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:24 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PF38skiuM2o&feature=related[/youtube]

Here's a quick and dirty guide on how to Cr0wn witches I found. I think it's pretty good.

.CakeE

Postby alias on Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:13 pm

Blissnabob wrote:As if anyone is going to think 'Oh I best not tov the tank!'. First reaction is set that b****rd on fire!

I normally play in a group with 3 autoshotties and 1 Assault rifle. This in combination with a decoy runner (who will most likely be incapped) will drop a burning tank in just a couple of clips/reloads. It boils my piss when the team I'm playing in run from the tank in ALL situations. There are some times when a direct confrontation is necessary and by the time the tank has cornered and started beating on one of your mates, you should have drilled the tank to at least half health. Obviously there will always be situations where you must run but I wish some would evaluate more carefully (aka GROW BALLS).

When everyone is on low life you cannot have a decoy runner if he is on fire. And on expert it only takes 3 hits for the tank to incap and kill a player. (1 to incap, 2 to kill him while he is incapped). So most likely you get 1 death then. But whenever 1 can function as decoy runner then burning him is indeed better.
Blissnabob wrote:I'd also like to clear up a common misconception. The autoshotty is NOT weak against the tank. It was weakened , granted, but is still the highest damage dealing weapon at just outside of tank striking range.

Well, the autoshotgun does about 100 damage and the m16 does about 45 per shot. Bots have about the same speed in shooting. but the m16 has a much faster reload and can also be used on longer range. So both are actualy even in quality. The shotgun requires a higher risk by getting close which is rewarded by being able to deal damage faster. The shottie remained my fav anyway even if it was weaker.
Blissnabob wrote:I agree with .cakeE, if you have time and see the tank about to throw at you simply run one way (or stand still) as he throws then sidestep or change direction when it's in mid air.

I know it works but many times it also fails when you havent practiced it. Getting arround a corner is better
Now on the workshop!
Image Image

alias
UKCS Life Sponsor

Postby OHMYGODIMONFIRE on Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:44 pm

stay away from elmo with a loaded gun :P

<3

OMG
OHMYGODIMONFIRE
UKCS Life Sponsor