L4D2 Infected Playing Tips

Forum for discussing Left 4 Dead and Left 4 Dead 2.

L4D2 Infected Playing Tips

Postby alias on Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:07 pm

As in l4d2 alot of things have changed in versus i though making such thread again. For survivors i dont know the hints yet as i mostly play scavenge in it (where i can give enough hints for though). I have played versus enough also to know what to look for.

The hunter, smoker and boomer havent been changed compared to l4d1. For hints on those look here: L4D1 Infected Playing Tips

Tank
  • Watch out for players that have either a molotov, bile or a grenade launcher with incendary ammo (equals a molotov). These couse anoying effects to you and will guarantee you going down fast.
  • Wait for teammates to strike, alone you are chanceless.
  • Allways make sure that you prevent the team from moving ahead. if you are behind them they can so allways make sure to stay in front of them.
  • Bide as much time as possible, the longer it takes them to stop you the longer your teammates can strike.
  • Try to defend the incapped players. This doesnt mean standing next to them but attacking the player that tries to help them up even if its just with rocks. Any hit will slow them down
  • Unlike l4d1 you arent a huge problem anymore as you are alot weaker. L4D1 Tactics might work diffirent in l4d2.
  • Use cars, dumpsters or any other obstacles you can find. They can easily incap players.
  • Smash the dumpsters multiple times over the same incapped player to quickly kill them. Bashing doesnt harm alot but cars still do.
  • Knock people away from high places. The fall damage can result in a player being instantly incapped or killed.
  • (by plurp:) On the last map of dead center (where you have to collect the gas cans), try to knock players from high places such as the top floor, because chances are that there are survivors there trying to get these hard to reach gas cans.
  • Dont attack players already taken by a hunter, charger, smoker or jockey. You will kill the infected and the survivor can move again.
  • Force people to spread. They are weaker when they have to spread as other infected can take them much easier

Charger
  • You are somewhat a mini tank. Even though your main charge can fail it doesnt mean that you cant do alot of damage. Just right click and you still do 10+ damage per hit. You got the highest health so its not that 1 shotgun shell takes you down.
  • You can slightly ajust the charge direction, its only minor and wont allow you to hit the players that avoid.
  • Dont charge on a player that saw you. Avoiding a charger isnt that hard and being stumbled against a wall will guarantee a dead. If you however got a player that gives extra damage to them.
  • Hit groups. It deals damage fast and also couses a stun thats more effective than a hunter stun
  • Try to charge into a player arround an edge. You will take them with you no matter whats behind them... This class can be the easiest for 1 attack 1 kill strikes.
  • (by plurp:) you can ram a survivor right into a car with alarm which is harder to stop than the smoker pull because you have to be killed to stop.
  • You can knock survivors away when they are close to each other. You can even knock them over edges. (by plurp:) At the Parish stage 1 just at the beginning you can insta kill the survivors easily when you do it right
  • Dont attack players already being taken by someone else. Just like the tank you will stop their attacks and sometimes allow the survivor to run away again.

Jockey
  • Take the ones that are alone. Not only those are easier but as you can walk away from the survivors you often can deal more damage
  • Walk to cars, witches, acid or anything bad you can find. You can start those events resulting in more damage.
  • Walking of edges couses people to hang and you to fall down. Hanging does deal them damage but try to make them hang at places you can quickly go back to anoy the survivors even more.
  • You are small and there for harder to hit. Its compensated by low health so be sure that they spot you when its too late.
  • Corners are your friend. You deal damage at the same speed of a hunter except you can move. With corners you only make it harder
  • (by plurp:) When you find yourself close to survivors (though out of shoving range) and you're already on a survivor, instead of pulling away (which reduces your speed) walk in the direction they are pressing to go faster and makes you a more sporadic target and can make you harder to hit.

Spitter
  • Your acid deals damage extremely fast but it takes a short moment before its active. Spray it in places you expect the survivors to walk in that very second. It will slow them down and couse most damage
  • Spit on players that are taken by other infected. Extra damage is welcome
  • Spit on incapped players when someone wants to help them up. It will force them to stop
  • Your acid can couse oil cans to ignite. Use this in scavenge to force them to find a new one (note that its not permanently gone this way!). The fire is also usefull as it damages players. (untaken cans cant be ignited - the ones that are taken are marked in orange)
  • You got a very long range (you can somewhat snipe).
  • If you spit on a wall the spit bounces back to the floor. You can therefor spit over an obstacle and still hit players
  • 1 spit can incap a player easily when they are on 30 health.
  • (by plurp:) instead of spitting on an incapped player immediately, w8 for another survivor to try and help them so you also deal damage to the other survivor.
  • (by plurp:) When a player is incapped and you spit in him, try to aim so that your acid patch has the incapped player in the centre, this avoids other survivors from helping him up when the acid is still burning (because if the incapped player is on the edge of your acid patch other survivors can help him up from outside the acid patch)

All infected
  • Dont instantly strike after spawning. allways wait for a good moment. Teaming up with 3 in a single strike can result in 3 people being unable to defend. This also takes longer for the survivors to clear.
  • Allways try to get a survivor to the bad side of the map. Bringing him close to a car alarm will make them focus on that alarm and often results in mistakes
  • If you cant hit them, distract them. This allows other players to take a good attack. With luck you will be able to strike after that also.
  • In scavenge you can hit a player to force him to restart to fuel the generator, car or whatever. You can also force them do drop it with your special attack
  • Cousing people to hang on an edge will couse them damage. The damage they get is related to the 'incap' health they have taken during it. Getting 150 damage during the hanging will couse 50 damage for example
  • Take people that are alone unless you are a tank. As tank you should purely go for dealing as much damage as possible. Taking someone that went alone means survivors have to backtrack or rush to save him. And during that time its free damage giving.

Extra Info
  • In versus its important to deal as much damage as possible. If both survivors end up with the same ammount of points the team that did most damage gets 25 points as a bonus. This can make a tank very usefull when he uses dumpsters or cars, those bring massive points.
  • In survival when both teams got the same ammount of gas tanks the team that had them faster wins, so make sure to delay them as long as possible.
Last edited by alias on Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:58 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Now on the workshop!
Image Image

Currently working on: MvM Intercept (2nd place on phase 1 (layout stage) of the TF2Maps contest)
Add me to steamfriends (click here)
alias
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: Alias
STEAM_0:0:2502992

Re: L4D2 Infected Playing Tips

Postby Plurp on Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:17 pm

I know this has been posted in the other topic (and you made a link) but I thought it would be nice to have them in the same topic :)
I also added some additional info (some map specific, and some are more advanced or additional information to be more of of a nuisance)

As Tank:
* On the last map of dead center (where you have to collect the gas cans), try to knock players from high places such as the top floor, because chances are that there are survivors there trying to get these hard to reach gas cans.

As Hunter:
* Attack isolated survivors first.
* If in open areas and need to cover large distances, pounce into the air.
* If someone else has pinned a survivor, attack the other survivors trying to save them.
* (extra:) on some maps, such as the parish, scavenge mode of dark carnival you can hit the survivor when they're on the ladder making them fall down and making it harder for them to be saved by they're team-mates.

As boomer:
* Try to vomit on as many as possible. (attack groups)
* Try to vomit on survivors in areas where there are many zombies around
* Its best to attack survivors as they turn corners.
* Avoid line of sight with survivors until ready to attack
* (extra:) if you notice that the survivors are close to each other and one is wildly swinging his melee weapon try to get close so he melees you and you explode on all of them (doesn't work with decent players though).
* (extra:) If u find a player meleeing on one of the ledges of dead center, try to get close and hit him, if he hits you back without shoving you your explosion makes him step back sometimes causing him to fall and he has to be pulled up by his team mates.

As Smoker:
* Attack isolated survivors first
* Attack the rear survivor, as the group moves away from you.
* If applicable attack survivors such that you are near hidden from few (roofs, through doors, etc)
* Attack survivors that are attempting to save another survivor.
* (extra:)On certain areas such as map 3 of the parish, try to pull the last survivor when the rest has jumped into the sewers or when they descend from the highway to the graveyard (they can't get up again)
* (extra:) if possible try to pull someone into a car with alarm (this can be a real pain for the survivors in the impound lot on the parish)

As Charger:
* (extra:) you can ram a survivor right into a car with alarm which is harder to stop than the smoker pull because you have to be killed to stop.
* (extra:) If you charge into a group of survivors at the beginning of the parish when they just walked up the ramp there is a chance that some of them will be knocked into the water instantly killing them.

As Jockey:
* (extra:) When you find yourself close to survivors (though out of shoving range) and you're already on a survivor, instead of pulling away (which reduces your speed) walk in the direction they are pressing to go faster and makes you a more sporadic target and can make you harder to hit.

As Spitter:
* (extra:) instead of spitting on an incapped player immediately, w8 for another survivor to try and help them so you also deal damage to the other survivor.
* (extra:) When a player is incapped and you spit in him, try to aim so that your acid patch has the incapped player in the centre, this avoids other survivors from helping him up when the acid is still burning (because if the incapped player is on the edge of your acid patch other survivors can help him up from outside the acid patch)

Plurp
UKCS Sponsor

Player: Chicago Jones
STEAM_0:1:7361818

Postby alias on Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:37 pm

List updated.

Plurp, i added your extra hints for the new infected (some are changed a bit to make it more clear)
Now on the workshop!
Image Image

Currently working on: MvM Intercept (2nd place on phase 1 (layout stage) of the TF2Maps contest)
alias
UKCS Life Sponsor

Postby Plurp on Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:59 pm

Someone has to check if its one of these cases:
In scavenge when both teams have the same ammount of oil cans. How does the balancing take place for the best team? Is it done by the time of the oil cans (Earlier means win) or the ammount of damage like in versus?

If both teams have the same amount of gas cans, the team that got them faster wins (so the team that did it in the least amount of time wins)

Plurp
UKCS Sponsor

Player: Chicago Jones
STEAM_0:1:7361818

Postby Unspecified on Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:07 am

Useful post - i haven't played much versus yet!

*Stickied*
ImageUKCS Head Moderator. Retired Senior TF2 Admin.
Feel free to send me a Image or message me through Image with any questions or problems.
Don't forget that UKCS has an image uploader that's fast and free for all members!

17:43 - Salva: i did find out im not pregnant

One of the UKCS iSeries Clanbox Co-Organisers:
Unspecified
Executive Admin
Head Moderator
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: unspecified
STEAM_0:0:2326270

Postby Brick on Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:23 pm

Charger instant kill on hard rain on level 2-3 easier on 3, spawn to the right of the elevator and wait for survivers to exit elevator charge them off in to corn field.
<--- PUSS IN BOOTS -- Died :(
Brick
Home Member

Player: Brick
STEAM_0:1:434114

Postby Nish on Sat Dec 05, 2009 6:29 pm

Brick wrote:Charger instant kill on hard rain on level 2-3 easier on 3, spawn to the right of the elevator and wait for survivers to exit elevator charge them off in to corn field.

That is always so hilarious too do :lol:
Service Manager for Skedsmo Red Cross, Norway. Also, I like pie.
Image Image
Nish
Admin Cadet
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: Nish
STEAM_0:1:17901503

Postby alias on Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:28 pm

Another insta kill option for a charger (dont know the campaign name - lol - but its stage 1 in that campaign). Its that burning building you are in. On the ledges you can often rush as a charger and take people with you or knock them off. Highly effective and can be quite easy to perform.
Now on the workshop!
Image Image

alias
UKCS Life Sponsor

Postby 13th Nightmare on Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:29 pm

I think the one you might be referring to is the 1st level of the Dead Center campaign. Just came off from Left 4 Dead 2, so it's still a little fresh in my head
Heaven Doesn't Want Me. And Hell Is Afraid I'll Take Over
13th Nightmare
Senior Admin
UKCS iSeries Attendee

Player: 13th @ #i61
STEAM_0:1:23426932

Postby Bob the Crab on Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:55 pm

Yea charger can be very powerful on the first level of dead center

Bob the Crab
UKCS Sponsor

Player: BRUDDHA
STEAM_0:0:45943968

Postby Lt Zenos on Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:41 pm

alias wrote:Another insta kill option for a charger (dont know the campaign name - lol - but its stage 1 in that campaign). Its that burning building you are in. On the ledges you can often rush as a charger and take people with you or knock them off. Highly effective and can be quite easy to perform.

Thats Dead Center. Can also be done with the jockey, or a smoker at the lower ledges.

~Lt Zenos
Soldier Dominating a Medic: Welcome to the United States of YOU JUST GOT DOMINATED!
Click the above graphic to see my steam profile.
Lt Zenos

Player: ZenonXI
STEAM_0:1:29316507

Return to UKCS : Left 4 Dead Chat