Money Ruining Football

Talk about your favorite sport or club in here, or discuss a match you're particularly interested in

Is money ruining the beautiful game?

Yes
57%
No
36%
Undecided
7%

Total votes : 28

Money Ruining Football

Postby GazNET on Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:18 pm

I believe now more than ever that money is ruining the beautiful game, so I thought I'd start a discussion/poll going to see what you guys think. Personally, I think things are getting way out of control.

Look at the recent transfer window activity: Robinho to Manchester City for £32.5m, Berbatov to Manchester United for £30.75m. Crazy money. I bet the wages are just as crazy too.

And how about foreign owners coming in and spending ridiculous amounts of money - some even running their respective clubs in the red - raising the bar so high that other clubs haven't a hope of competing unless they get their own sugar-daddy or are forced to operate in the red too.

Television rights. Broadcasting companies pay incredible amounts of money to show football these days, and in turn charge incredible amounts of money for people to watch. Why should I have to pay a subscription to both Sky and Setanta to watch my team play?

There are other talking points, but ultimately, I believe it all comes down to one thing: You and me - the fans - people who love our clubs and the game dearly. We suffer the most because of all this. It's becoming ridiculously expensive to watch football these days. Higher ticket costs, programme costs, food and drink costs, merchandise costs. Transfer fees, player wages etc. have to be recuperated somehow. I could go on and on...

Discuss!
Sector Clear!
www.gaznet.com
GazNET
Exec. Admin (Retired)

Player: GazNET
STEAM_0:0:2825642

Postby Satsuma on Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:51 pm

Footballs a business. Its about money just like any other.
Satsuma
UKCS Sponsor

Player: biggie d
STEAM_0:1:10143646

Postby DeanX on Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:37 pm

now City want to make a £135mil bid for Ronaldo in January. t'is very silly.

Also i believe money doesnt ruin it for buying players, but i do think the wages need to be capped.
*UKCS Old School*
DeanX
UKCS Admin

Player: DeanX
STEAM_0:0:4858412

Postby ShoTz on Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:40 pm

Firstly the TV rights i disagree with. Sky show proberly 2/3 lower leauge matches a week and the revenue that, that makes the clubs is amazing. Sky also make a deal about how they try and show pretty much every single club in the football league - that im pretty sure they do do, and i think that is awesome for lower league football. Again with lower league football orient sold a lad to fulham for 1 million pounds. that is an insane amount of money to us and set us in good stands to staying up in the season - for that im grateful but 1 million was pocket money to the preimership teams. that is worrying!

It's not the amount of money flowing around in football that pisses me off, i know your a villa fan, but as an example if barry was have gone to liverpool for say 20 million, that is alot of money i still wouldnt of resented that, because hes an englishman building his way up. Same with bentley to spurs, so i think its the amount of foreign players entering the premier league on insane wages that make non football people a shit load of money that angers me.

you cant stop foreign owners moving into english football, neither can u blame the original chairmen/board to sell clubs for the crazy money that is put infront of them. So i think there is very little legistation that can be passed to stop it. A limit of foreign players in a team will only put those desirable players in higher demand -> higher demand pushing up their price.

Satsuma says "footballs a business like any other" yes, but i dont feel its "all about the money". Football is a business of course, however hardly any multi-million pound business' are ran on the same passion that football clubs were/and some still are. this passion i feel is dissapearing - however that isnt really what gaz was saying :P.

ShoTz
UKCS Sponsor

Player: are sober kebabs wrong?
STEAM_0:1:14417667

Postby DeanX on Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:43 pm

Also i think Gaz is abit upset because his Villa wont be able to keep with up the bigger sides meaning there push for Champs league will now be even harder with Man City buying there way into it.
*UKCS Old School*
DeanX
UKCS Admin

Postby Sc(x)ttish Duck Hunter on Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:14 pm

Football is a business.

Topic over.
Last edited by Sc(x)ttish Duck Hunter on Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image Imma rockin dat shit
Sc(x)ttish Duck Hunter
UKCS Sponsor

Player: DatBoiWeed69
STEAM_0:0:12077653

Postby ShoTz on Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:17 pm

Sc(x)ttish Duck Hunter wrote:Fottball is a business.

Topic over.

This topic was relating to football...

fottball sounds pretty good though, some sort of scottish game?

ShoTz
UKCS Sponsor

Postby Sc(x)ttish Duck Hunter on Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:38 pm

ShoTz wrote:
Sc(x)ttish Duck Hunter wrote:Fottball is a business.

Topic over.

This topic was relating to football...

fottball sounds pretty good though, some sort of scottish game?

lol pretty randum xD
Image Image Imma rockin dat shit
Sc(x)ttish Duck Hunter
UKCS Sponsor

Player: DatBoiWeed69
STEAM_0:0:12077653

Postby Azzy on Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:06 pm

City ponder £135m Ronaldo bid

THIS IS SO RELEVANT TO THIS TOPIC
Forum Moderator
CSS Admin
Use the UKCS Uploader to upload images/files.
Azzy
UKCS Admin

Player: Azzy
STEAM_0:1:7114108

Postby Dancing Hippo on Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:12 pm

They can bloody have him for that kinda money.

Theres a large transfer, and a stupid transfer. £135mil is stupid. And people coming in and sticking that kind of money into a club like has happened with Man City, and Chelski is pretty bad. There is of course the upside that it makes our league better in terms of standards, and up and coming English players should be able to learn from this.

Wage cap is an idea I do agree with though.
Dancing Hippo
Old Timer

Player: Dysphonia
STEAM_0:1:8445438

Postby Master Yoda on Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:44 pm

The NHL, American Ice Hockey league made a big change some season ago by setting a wage cap for each team.
That leauge is set up that their will always be the same teams in the conferances, and they all have the equal chance to success, with this wage cap.

I think it is something for football aswell.
shotz: i rish u cant
Well spoken shotz, very well spoken.
Master Yoda
Old Timer

Player: yoda.ftw|
STEAM_0:0:18859626

Postby random626 on Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:31 pm

its getting to the stage where owners dont care about football but about the amount of money they can get for their investment, also i think mayb u should ahve a max transfer limit because when you can splash out 34 million then consider just whipping out another 135 million its getting a tad silly + never happen man u to man citty? aye right!
In the Old Testament God was full of Wroth, you did bad stuff he set on you with plagues.In the New Testament he seems like a nice guy.What happened between the New and the Old Testament?He got laid
random626
Home Member

Postby mrhat on Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:10 pm

From another point of view this will help to break the monopoly that the "big 4" clubs have over the Premier League. It's almost a sure bet this season who are going to get the four Champions League spots which isn't mirrored in Spain or Italy. Adding genuine competition for those places can only benefit the league

mrhat
UKCS Sponsor

Player: Charlie
STEAM_0:1:12539562

Postby Flawless on Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:37 am

Master Yoda wrote:The NHL, American Ice Hockey league made a big change some season ago by setting a wage cap for each team.
That leauge is set up that their will always be the same teams in the conferances, and they all have the equal chance to success, with this wage cap.

I think it is something for football aswell.

It was introduced in the NFL a while back, and tbh there's hardly ever a team that's down and out season after season. Its not really about the players on the team, but the team preforming as a team, as you will never get that dream squad.

Wage cap should of been introduced in years ago, I was thinking about the transfers thread where the owners where quoted with "we have deeper pockets than abramovich" so that's what it takes now a day to be a good team, money and lots of it.
F is for Flawesome
Flawless
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: FLawless
STEAM_0:1:6217222

Postby Fung on Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:33 am

mrhat wrote:From another point of view this will help to break the monopoly that the "big 4" clubs have over the Premier League. It's almost a sure bet this season who are going to get the four Champions League spots which isn't mirrored in Spain or Italy. Adding genuine competition for those places can only benefit the league

All you really do is remove one of the top 4, in exchange for a new club. Should there come more foreign investors willing to spend "silly" money, Manchester United, Arsenal and Liverpool will need one aswell to stay in the top 4.
Right down the street a prostitute is selling the closest thing to love, that this country has to offer.
Fung
UKCS Life Sponsor

Player: Fung
STEAM_0:1:4658869

Postby Master Yoda on Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:19 pm

But do we want more or less money into the football? :S
New clubs will have have to get more money than the big four, to beat their traditions.
shotz: i rish u cant
Well spoken shotz, very well spoken.
Master Yoda
Old Timer

Player: yoda.ftw|
STEAM_0:0:18859626

Postby ShoTz on Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:42 pm

Fung wrote: Arsenal and Liverpool will need one aswell to stay in the top 4.

Man united have got one. they are only a small bit behind chelsea with the glazers.

ShoTz
UKCS Sponsor

Postby DeanX on Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:49 pm

lies. Glazers put us in 600million pounds of debt and got shit lots of loans.
*UKCS Old School*
DeanX
UKCS Admin

Postby Alwightmush on Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:02 pm

Thanks to money football is f****d.
The sooner the top 4 sod off to some Euro super League the better as far as I'm concerned, let the real clubs fight it out.
Wage caps are a good idea, but lets face it that's all they ever will be.
Whether they are calculated by the clubs revenue, or set at a specific level, it won't happen.
The way football is going I can see one of the big clubs collapsing from over stretching themselves too far, even more so than Leeds, the way clubs can operate whilst being in such large debts shouldn't be allowed.
Everyone gathered round cheering the signing of Robinho whilst no-one gives a toss as teams are being deducted points and crippled in the lower leagues. Sickening stuff.

Alwightmush
UKCS Sponsor

Player: Alwightmush
STEAM_0:0:6011810

Postby ShoTz on Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:15 pm

DeanX wrote:lies. Glazers put us in 600million pounds of debt and got shit lots of loans.

in terms of spending power they give to ferguson, they are way ahead of pretty much everyone in europe..

ShoTz
UKCS Sponsor

Next

Return to Sports & Motoring